Help! Got some thermal paste smeared around

ravrius

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hi, I'm not sure what to do. I was installing an Antec Iceberq 6 VGA cooler on my XFX 7900 GT and while I was applying the thermal paste I got some of the arctic silver smeared around outside of the core. i can't really clean it very well because of the small metal pieces sticking up. Will my card short if I put it in like that? Is there anything I can do or is it a lost cause? Thanks for the help.

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Take a painting brush. Soak the tip mildly in iso-propyl alcohol or other non-conductive cleaner. Just clean the thermal paste.
And see if it's thermal compound containing metal particles like silver or copper. If not, it won't damage, rather cool those circuits it got smeared on. What is the name of thermal paste you used ?

I used a qu-tip with alcohol on mine. I had this issue with my old x1900xtx when i installed the cooler a few times. Don't knock off those metal things they are resisters. Better to clean it up as well as you can an leave it alone. I don't think that past is electronically conductive.