Attack vs. Defense

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

I have finally figured out exactly why I've been opposed to the changes
in Issue 5. Get comfy and grab a drink, this could take a bit of time
and then you might want to think about it.

We play games for fun. In CoH "fun" is being defined as "challenging."
Now "challenging" falls somewhere between "smack down villains with no
danger" and "unable to hurt villains enough to defeat them." As things
currently stand on the live servers there are characters who cannot be
challenged and others who find two blue minions more than challenging.
Issue 5 is an attempt to challenge every character, to increase the
difficulty level of the game for those characters who were not being
threatened while increasing the capabilities of those who could not
threaten.

The chosen method of increasing the difficulty has been to reduce the
capability of players to avoid or resist damage by reducing the effects
of players powers.

Some powers were moderately affected, a toggle that provided 17% base
resistance to a damage type may have been reduced to 13% resistance.
After full slotting this could translate into a difference of 12% more
damage taken from a paticular attack. Some powers were significantly
affected, a hold that could prevent slightly more than half of all
targets in an area from attacking for 18 seconds out of every two
minutes would change to preventing up to ten targets in an area from
attacking for nine seconds out of every four minutes. After full
slotting plus perma-hasten the power would be effective on ten targets
for 18 seconds every two minutes. The global changes to defense and
maximum numbers of affected targets will result in players being hit
more often and hitting less often.

All of these have been implemented as functionally global changes. All
players will have weaker defense powers, all controllers will control
fewer enemies, all tankers will take more damage. All of these changes
will challenge players as the characters take more damage and affect
fewer enemies. This is not a horrible thing, some people needed more
challenge while others still have the option of reverting the mission
slider to 'Heroic.'

The reason I have been unhappy with the changes is because they hurt the
players. They remove options, decrease choices, and reduce the players
ability to be heroic. Players aren't going to be taking more damage
because the bad guys do more damage, but because the players are weaker.
People aren't going to control less because the enemies have any
defenses, but because the powers only last half as long. These changes
reduce a players ability to act in order to make the game more
difficult, players now have fewer options to acheive goals with. That is
what I don't like.

I do not belive that large scale reductions in player abilities and
choices are a better way to improve the game than minor, cumulative
improvements to foe abilities and mission content.

To my mind the constant free respecs offered, and needed, after every
issue are an alarming symptom of this. When one or two powers in a
paticular set are changed, or an upper limit on an entire archtype is
applied, then a free respec is nice but probably not truely needed.
Overslotted powers or a tweaked power or two will not decimate a
population of characters beyond the ability of those characters to do a
respec trial in order to adjust. The fact that large numbers of full
character rebuilds occur after almost every issue release can not be a
good sign.

It's late and getting hard for me to think. After almost two decades of
RPGs, CRPGs, and MMORPGs, every time I played or managed one once the
players stopped being challenged you started upping the difficulty. That
was good. But you never did it by hurting the players, never by removing
powers or weakening them. You challenge players by giving them bigger
and badder emenies, more dangerous missions and foes. Don't tell them
they can't do something anymore or only let them do something half the
time, give them a challenge that requires them to do more with what they
already have.

Making the good guys weaker makes them feel less heroic. Making the bad
guys stronger makes the good guys feel more heroic.

--
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> If they made the bad guys strong enough to kill Tankers and Scrappers,
> squishies would spontaneously combust upon logging in. Players were
> just too damned hard to kill.

For the record, I find all the arguing about the I5 nerfs as pointless
and tedious as all the rounds that have gone before. It's just not that
big a deal, IMHO, if the Devs occasionally shake up the rules - for good,
for bad, for whatever.

I will say that I've always been bothered by the invincible builds - it's
just not right that a scranker should be able to just stand there and
take any amount of abuse, from AVs or 100+ mobs, while eating a Twinkie
with one had and reading a comic book with the other.

The Devs should just put in a god mode for these players - zero damage,
zero XP and they can't team. But they can tap dance all over GMs and AVs
to their lil' hearts' content, and without messing up a reasonable
balance to the game.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

buser@heck.huh schrieb:

> some people needed more
> challenge while others still have the option of reverting the mission
> slider to 'Heroic.'

There are players who have a hell of a hard time as it is by playing on
"Heroic". What should they do? Ask for a "Wimp" setting?

My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until approximately
level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows. Then at 17 I invested the
inf which I'd gotten from high level players who wanted to do a badge
mission. Don't know why they paid for it, but at the time I didn't ask.
;) When I had all powers slotted with green DOs I eventually felt like a
hero. I always played on "Heroic" but it was too hard most of the time.
(Too many enemies who are blaster fans and like to close in on melee
range as soon as they spot you.) The fun wore off pretty fast because I
started to gain one level every day but heck, it sure was fun. I'm
waiting for the day the cash starts rolling in by playing missions
because I'm in desperate need of green SOs now. :(

~T.

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
> My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until approximately
> level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows.

Moral: stay out of the Hollows. :)

I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the Hollows
missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed there, and I
finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap. I'll go take the first
mission from Wincott, just to clear the mission list for whoever sends me
to him, but that's it.

It was getting killed, one-shot, by a Pumicite who rose out of the ground
after I'd jumped over that patch of ground that did it. Screw it: the
Trolls can have it.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>buser@heck.huh schrieb:
>
>> some people needed more
>> challenge while others still have the option of reverting the mission
>> slider to 'Heroic.'
>
>There are players who have a hell of a hard time as it is by playing on
>"Heroic". What should they do? Ask for a "Wimp" setting?

When word of a slider first came out that's EXACTLY what people asked
for, since they were already having trouble completing their own
missions.
The Devs brushed it off with a pathetic lie that it couldn't be done
because then people might miss out on content and be stuck street
hunting.
Completely ignoring the fact that people were having to level up 2-3
times in order to do their own missions, so they were missing MOST of
their content. And of course they did that leveling up by, you guessed
it, street hunting.

The bottom line of course is; if you could set your missions difficulty
lower you would always be able to complete your own missions solo, and
that's just not permissible.
Heaven forbid that an AT that the Devs have defined as a "support" AT
should actually be able to do anything BUT support other players.

>My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until approximately
>level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows. Then at 17 I invested the
>inf which I'd gotten from high level players who wanted to do a badge
>mission. Don't know why they paid for it, but at the time I didn't ask.

Because lots of low level people who have those missions DEMAND payment
to let high levels join it.

Xocyll

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until approximately
>> level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows.
>
> Moral: stay out of the Hollows. :)
>
> I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the Hollows
> missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed there, and I
> finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap. I'll go take the first
> mission from Wincott, just to clear the mission list for whoever sends me
> to him, but that's it.
>
> It was getting killed, one-shot, by a Pumicite who rose out of the ground
> after I'd jumped over that patch of ground that did it. Screw it: the
> Trolls can have it.

Having more alts than you, I came to that decision a while ago.

I finish the four missions Wincott has for me and then I'm done.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:58:35 -0800, <buser@heck.huh> wrote:

> Making the good guys weaker makes them feel less heroic. Making the bad
> guys stronger makes the good guys feel more heroic.

Agreed. The nerf isn't as big as it looked like at first sight, but it is
handled in a clumsy manner. New players will probably love the game as it
is from now on, but it is emotianally painful to play some of our older
characters. I am going to retire some of mine until I forget how it was,
if ever.

good sign." -G

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:45:31 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> Moral: stay out of the Hollows. :)
>
> I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the Hollows
> missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed there, and I
> finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap. I'll go take the first
> mission from Wincott, just to clear the mission list for whoever sends me
> to him, but that's it.

My fire tanker goes to Hollows to level up the young ones. It is a good
place to stand in crowds of green villains and watch the xp roll in. A
trickle for me, a stream for the lower levels who assist me. (I demand
some level of participation to PL people.) The Hollows contains villains
of every level from 5 to 15 at least. Probably more.

But I'd be crazy to take a soloing blaster in there. It is totally a
tanker zone.

good sign." -G

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until
>> approximately level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows.
>
> Moral: stay out of the Hollows. :)
>
> I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the
> Hollows missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed
> there, and I finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap.
> I'll go take the first mission from Wincott, just to clear the
> mission list for whoever sends me to him, but that's it.
>
> It was getting killed, one-shot, by a Pumicite who rose out of the
> ground after I'd jumped over that patch of ground that did it.
> Screw it: the Trolls can have it.

When I'm running an alt, as soon as he/she/it dings 5 I go to Hollows,
say hello and goodbye to the donut muncher.

Until, I finish my normal missions and am reduced to street hunting, or
having street hunt missions assigned to me.

Then I'll have a quick donut or two, and go back to the real city.

As far as Boom and Fault go? If I get one of those 'hunt in there'
missions, I bring my second account on, and follow the lower with my
emp as a sk or mentor, and do the mission to clear it.

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> I have actually done them though - and solo to boot, with both the
> en/dev blaster and the illu/rad controller.

Ditto. I've soloed my way through the Hollows stuff at least twice. That's
enough. It is kind of an interesting zone to explore with a high level alt,
though. The whole CoT-ridden area near the Skyway gate is cool.

> At least one of those trips involved the illu/rad _hovering_ his way
> across 2/3rds of the hollows while I read a book.

After a little experience with Flight, I always keep an in-flight magazine
handy for those cross-zone jaunts. :)

--

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:17:15 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:

> I finish the four missions Wincott has for me and then I'm done.

Lots of people don't even do that, just decline the first mission.
Personally I do them, but I don't even ask for the third and fourth
mission until level 15 or so, since it almost invariably entails being
shot at by hordes of lvl 15 villains on your way to the hideouts.

good sign." -G

Shenanigunner wrote:

> I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the Hollows
> missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed there, and I
> finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap. I'll go take the first
> mission from Wincott, just to clear the mission list for whoever sends me
> to him, but that's it.

I haven't had trouble soloing all of Wincott's missions with any character
I've built at level 5 (level 6 for Controllers). I've soloed the entire
series with two Scrappers, except the trial of course.

However, if you're dead-set against going there, just visit Wincott as soon
as you ding level 5. You don't have to take his first mission, just click on
him. Your first regular Contact won't send you back.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Magnus Itland wrote:

> I'd make a good bet that there's no law prohibiting making the squishies
> tougher instead of making the tankers squishier.

That would be the law of Common Sense. Not much point in making everyone in
the game immortal.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> I haven't had trouble soloing all of Wincott's missions with any
> character I've built at level 5 (level 6 for Controllers). I've
> soloed the entire series with two Scrappers, except the trial of
> course.

The missions are interesting, especially Bonefire with the cool mission
set - and he's by far the toughest villain you run into by that level.
It's just that the whole zone is so damned deadly in return for
relatively modest XP and content returns that I now regard it as an
option rather than a requirement.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= *******: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 03:27:05 GMT, J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>
>> Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My blaster for instance was almost in perma debt until
>>> approximately level 16 when I finally finished The Hollows.
>>
>> Moral: stay out of the Hollows. :)
>>
>> I thought Xocyll was just peeving as usual when he dissed the
>> Hollows missions, but I'm on my fourth alt that gets directed
>> there, and I finally learned it's nothing but a huge debt trap.
>> I'll go take the first mission from Wincott, just to clear the
>> mission list for whoever sends me to him, but that's it.
>>
>> It was getting killed, one-shot, by a Pumicite who rose out of the
>> ground after I'd jumped over that patch of ground that did it.
>> Screw it: the Trolls can have it.
>>

>When I'm running an alt, as soon as he/she/it dings 5 I go to Hollows,
>say hello and goodbye to the donut muncher.
>
>Until, I finish my normal missions and am reduced to street hunting, or
>having street hunt missions assigned to me.

Personally, I can't stand a contact bar that is not filled. It haunts me.
If there was a way to talk to Wincott without actually getting him as a
contact, I'd probably do that...but once he's on my list, I gotta finish
him.

With the I5 changes to pre-10 debt, this will be harder. I'm accustomed to
suiciding myself into permadebt from at least 5-15, and usually up to 25
just to keep my leveling speed a human level, but since the no-debt cap has
been raised to 10, this is going to be exceptionally hard. Normally I will
beat Frostfire at level 9 or so, but this is going to have to go up.

At least now we have the auto-exemplar for the Trial. Never made much sense
to me that the level requirements on the trial would be *so* strict. Most
folks are just starting to take on Julius' missions at 15, to say nothing
of having completed Talshak.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> At least now we have the auto-exemplar for the Trial. Never made
> much sense to me that the level requirements on the trial would be
> *so* strict. Most folks are just starting to take on Julius'
> missions at 15, to say nothing of having completed Talshak.

And, hopefully they will have it fixed so the Striga, Hollows and
Croatoa missions that are necessary for the TF to open will be
available to the "auto-exemp".

My (currently) lvl 37 did most of the Hollows as he kept getting street
hunt missions assigned. But when I did do the contacts, and got Talshak
I decided to do his so I could open the Cavern for myself and any
others.

I outleveled it (before the "auto-exemp"). So, even tho I could take
him to the CoT contact, learn the location of the Cavern and go back to
Talshak, that silly-a mystic clammed up tighter than an IRS purse.

I've gone back by Talshak to see if it re-opened, but with the current
bug of outleveling and not opening he still says "Thank you, and have a
nice day."

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:40:55 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>> I'd make a good bet that there's no law prohibiting making the
>> squishies tougher instead of making the tankers squishier.
>
> That would be the law of Common Sense. Not much point in making
> everyone in the game immortal.

That's why some posters have recommended making new, harder villains. That
way nobody would be immortal, which was the point. But they would not
have to run from the same villains they used to beat up last week,
something humans resent. People get enough of your attitude from their
bosses. "It is only rational to pay the employees less. They will get
used to it, and if not we can just get new ones." Most people don't come
to a RPG to experience that kind of thing. I think it is perfectly natural
for the original poster to not wish to be powered down.

If you're playing one of the lucky few chars that go from completely
immortal to practically immortal with the I5 changes, then I guess the
changes may appeal to you. But a lot of people will be forced to not only
use strategy and tactics for the first time, but also to team with people
who can use strategy and tactics. And where do you find that kind of
people?

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:

> That's why some posters have recommended making new, harder villains.

Making the villains tougher would slightly annoy the Tankers and Scrappers,
and make the squishies spontaneously combust upon logging in.

> That way nobody would be immortal, which was the point. But they would
> not have to run from the same villains they used to beat up last week,
> something humans resent.

It's an imperfect universe.

> come to a RPG to experience that kind of thing. I think it is perfectly
> natural for the original poster to not wish to be powered down.

It's perfectly natural. It's also perfectly wrong.

> If you're playing one of the lucky few chars that go from completely
> immortal to practically immortal with the I5 changes, then I guess the
> changes may appeal to you.

No one's going to be practically immortal. (Fire Tankers and Dark Armor
Scrappers who think they're going to keep those numbers are deluding
themselves.) Defenses are being lowered enough to make offense the deciding
factor in fights.

> But a lot of people will be forced to not
> only use strategy and tactics for the first time, but also to team with
> people who can use strategy and tactics. And where do you find that kind
> of people?

People will adapt to the new rules, and life will go on.

--

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:17:15 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>
>> I finish the four missions Wincott has for me and then I'm done.
>
> Lots of people don't even do that, just decline the first mission.
> Personally I do them, but I don't even ask for the third and fourth
> mission until level 15 or so, since it almost invariably entails being
> shot at by hordes of lvl 15 villains on your way to the hideouts.

By then it would just be a pointless turkey shoot.

Unless you want to exemp just to get something out of your own mission.

It's good practice dodging mobs you don't want to face.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:13:47 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>> That's why some posters have recommended making new, harder villains.
>
> Making the villains tougher would slightly annoy the Tankers and
> Scrappers, and make the squishies spontaneously combust upon logging in.

Let's not go in circles here. I recommended making harder villains
because I recommended making tougher squishies instead of making weaker
tanks. If the squishies are toughened up, they don't spontaneously
combust. So this is not an issue. We would not even have this discussion
if I did not recommend toughening the ranged types, at which point
*someone* claimed I made everyone immortal. I don't. I just want to
reduce the gap without powering down anyone. It is not shattering the
earth: Mythic does this in DAoC on a regular basis. If the game is
imbalanced - and a MMORPG is always imbalanced - they nerf only if it hits
very few people, typically one class or two. Any more, and they power up
the weakest of the opponents first, then the new weakest and so on. It is
a never ending circle of new powers and spells and resists, but people
take a lot more kindly to being powered up than down. There is no reason
why Cryptic can't do the same, technically. It is a business decision.

>> That way nobody would be immortal, which was the point. But they would
>> not have to run from the same villains they used to beat up last week,
>> something humans resent.
>
> It's an imperfect universe.

It is an imperfect company competing with other companies that may be less
imperfect. This is a reason for concern for those of us who want the game
to be around for a while.

>> come to a RPG to experience that kind of thing. I think it is perfectly
>> natural for the original poster to not wish to be powered down.
>
> It's perfectly natural. It's also perfectly wrong.
>
>> If you're playing one of the lucky few chars that go from completely
>> immortal to practically immortal with the I5 changes, then I guess the
>> changes may appeal to you.
>
> No one's going to be practically immortal. (Fire Tankers and Dark
> Armor Scrappers who think they're going to keep those numbers are
> deluding themselves.) Defenses are being lowered enough to make offense
> the deciding factor in fights.

For the time being, perhaps. There is a disturbing tendency to let changes
go live and then belatedly backpedal a little. With big steps like these,
the steps back may also be larger than usual.

>> But a lot of people will be forced to not only use strategy and tactics
>> for the first time, but also to team with people who can use strategy
>> and tactics. And where do you find that kind of people?
>
> People will adapt to the new rules, and life will go on.

Or they will adapt to another game. Life is full of decisions.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:

> I just want to reduce the gap without powering down anyone. It is not
shattering the earth: Mythic does this in DAoC on a regular basis.

Does DAOC have any classes that are *hundreds of times* harder to kill than
others?

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:45:46 -0400, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>> I just want to reduce the gap without powering down anyone. It is not
> shattering the earth: Mythic does this in DAoC on a regular basis.
>
> Does DAOC have any classes that are *hundreds of times* harder to kill
> than others?

Probably not. But you had extreme cloth classes that would be one-shotted
by anything within xp range. The compensation was enormous ranged damage.
On the other hand, I used to play a paladin who could solo groups of
purples, except he had no chance of killing them due to lack of damage.
I'm not sure how to measure the "hard to kill" factor between these two,
because clearly they could not use the same tactics.

When I talk about closing the gap between two classes, I don't think in
pure HP or armor factor. If a caster is the underdog, the power-up is
likely to be in terms of longer range or more damage, while a healer might
get new heal spells and a paladin a new defense buff.

I've seen you claim that some builds in CoH are "hundreds or thousands" of
times harder to kill than others, and I'm a bit curious as to how you
measure it and how relevant it is to their role in fighting. I tend to
think a blaster that can kill anything before it comes close enough to hit
him is just as invulnerable as a tanker who can stand there and read the
newspaper while pounded on.

Of course, if you are unkillable AND can do kill things that give decent
xp, a nerf is in order - in fact, it would be considered a bug by any sane
game developer, who would apologize and fix it right away with a live
patch. But either one on itself is perfectly acceptable.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:

> I've seen you claim that some builds in CoH are "hundreds or thousands"
> of times harder to kill than others, and I'm a bit curious as to how you
> measure it and how relevant it is to their role in fighting.

That is in terms of the survivable DPS. A Tanker, particular an
Invulnerability Tanker in I4, can withstand about 500 times more DPS than a
squishy. This has been gone over at length on the forums.

> I tend to
> think a blaster that can kill anything before it comes close enough to
> hit him is just as invulnerable as a tanker who can stand there and read
> the newspaper while pounded on.

A group of mobs big enough to *exceed a Tanker's natural healing rate* would
drop a Blaster in one shot.

> Of course, if you are unkillable AND can do kill things that give decent
> xp, a nerf is in order - in fact, it would be considered a bug by any
> sane game developer, who would apologize and fix it right away with a
> live patch.

Well, guess what -- that's what Tankers can do in CoH. A well-built Tanker
can round up all the mobs on a mission map, herd them into a corner, autocast
his AE attack and go AFK for dinner. He'll come back to an uninjured Tanker
and a bunch of dead mobs.

To achieve what you suggest, Tanker DPS would have to be lower than white-con
mob regen rate -- IOW, they'd be totally useless for anything *but* holding
agro, and totally unable to solo.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
>Magnus Itland wrote:
>
>> I've seen you claim that some builds in CoH are "hundreds or thousands"
>> of times harder to kill than others, and I'm a bit curious as to how you
>> measure it and how relevant it is to their role in fighting.
>
> That is in terms of the survivable DPS. A Tanker, particular an
>Invulnerability Tanker in I4, can withstand about 500 times more DPS than a
>squishy. This has been gone over at length on the forums.
>
>> I tend to
>> think a blaster that can kill anything before it comes close enough to
>> hit him is just as invulnerable as a tanker who can stand there and read
>> the newspaper while pounded on.
>
> A group of mobs big enough to *exceed a Tanker's natural healing rate* would
>drop a Blaster in one shot.
>
>> Of course, if you are unkillable AND can do kill things that give decent
>> xp, a nerf is in order - in fact, it would be considered a bug by any
>> sane game developer, who would apologize and fix it right away with a
>> live patch.
>
> Well, guess what -- that's what Tankers can do in CoH. A well-built Tanker
>can round up all the mobs on a mission map, herd them into a corner, autocast
>his AE attack and go AFK for dinner. He'll come back to an uninjured Tanker
>and a bunch of dead mobs.
>
> To achieve what you suggest, Tanker DPS would have to be lower than white-con
>mob regen rate -- IOW, they'd be totally useless for anything *but* holding
>agro, and totally unable to solo.

Of course, the really simple way to prevent that sort of herding is to
code mobs so they won't venture farther than X feet from their spawn
point. Ok, that means you can always outrun a bad situation, but it
would prevent herding completely, without making any changes at all to
offense or defense powersets.

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Rob Wynne wrote:

> Of course, the really simple way to prevent that sort of herding is to
> code mobs so they won't venture farther than X feet from their spawn
> point. Ok, that means you can always outrun a bad situation, but it
> would prevent herding completely, without making any changes at all to
> offense or defense powersets.

That would not change the fact that many builds simply could not be killed in
the course of routine play.