SBC in talks to buy AT&T

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050127/ap_on_bi_ge/sbc_at_
t_4>

No need for an AT&T Mobile if the SBC purchase goes through.
In which case their wholesale purchase of SprintPCS network use falls
through.

That should hurt Sprint stock today.
35 answers Last reply
More about talks
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:

    > That should hurt Sprint stock today.

    Short seller, are we?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    >
    >> That should hurt Sprint stock today.
    >
    > Short seller, are we?
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?

    SBC *owns* half of Cingular. BellSouth owns the other half.

    In which case, AT&T will probably not be reselling anyone else's service
    anytime soon.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?

    SBC is part owner of Cingular.

    However, I have my doubts that a Cingular purchase of AT&T, the landline
    company, would pass regulatory muster.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    SBC is part owner of Cingular.

    In article <5MbKd.15382$1t.5179@fed1read06>, Mij Adyaw
    <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    >

    > "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > > Jack Zwick wrote:
    > >
    > >> That should hurt Sprint stock today.
    > >
    > > Short seller, are we?
    > >
    > > --
    > > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    "steve" <reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > SBC is part owner of Cingular.
    >

    > In article <5MbKd.15382$1t.5179@fed1read06>, Mij Adyaw
    > <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still
    >> need
    >> wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    >>

    >> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message

    >> > Short seller, are we?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    >> > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    It would be a shame if I was forced to leave Sprint because Verizon bought
    them. Verizon seems to flat-out ignore certain less populated markets where
    they ostensibly do business, and that's why I fired them last year. (We're
    small potatoes here compared to Los Angeles, 65 miles away as the crow files,
    or a relatively short 90-minute drive.)

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    Three reasons:

    1. Neither company is interested in merging with each other.

    2. Verizon Wireless is not 100% owned by Verizon. Vodafone owns around
    half of VZW, and Vodafone is not interested in purchasing more CDMA
    assets (in fact, they were interested for a bit in buying AT&T wireless
    and dropping their stake in VZW because they wanted a GSM network in the
    US).

    3. Such a purchase might not pass FCC and Justice Department scrutiny.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Steve,

    Does SprintPCS provide better service in your area than Verizon? I am in
    Laguna Niguel in Orange County and Sprint provides better service than
    Verizon. Verizon tech support admits that they have coverage problems in LN
    and that they need to install new cell sites.

    -mij

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >> Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks
    >> are CDMA and all phones would be compatible.
    >
    > It would be a shame if I was forced to leave Sprint because Verizon bought
    > them. Verizon seems to flat-out ignore certain less populated markets
    > where they ostensibly do business, and that's why I fired them last year.
    > (We're small potatoes here compared to Los Angeles, 65 miles away as the
    > crow files, or a relatively short 90-minute drive.)
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > Does SprintPCS provide better service in your area than Verizon? I am in
    > Laguna Niguel in Orange County and Sprint provides better service than
    > Verizon. Verizon tech support admits that they have coverage problems in LN
    > and that they need to install new cell sites.

    "Better" is subjective.

    Sprint PCS covers Apple Valley much better.

    Verizon covers National Trails Highway (Old US 66) better up to Barstow, which
    is rather surprising as there is almost no one living in the area between
    Victorville and Barstow (Helendale, Silver Lakes, Hodge, etc.) If I need to,
    I'll set my phone to roam on Verizon. Sprint doesn't have service in the small
    towns between VV and Barstow at all.

    Verizon also covers part of Air Expressway (near the old George AFB) where
    Sprint has their only big coverage hole in the area. (I haven't bugged Sprint
    to fix that hole yet. Don't know how quickly they will add the coverage.)

    I left Verizon due to network repair issues, not coverage problems.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Steve,

    Thanks for the detailed response. I am a new Sprint subscriber and am
    interested in any information that I can get. I am about to dump Verizon
    because it does not work well at my home and I drop many calls or do not
    receive the calls. I have tried all of the other carriers and Sprint is the
    only service the works reliably at my home. I get full signal strength with
    Sprint at my home but do not have much experience traveling with Sprint. I
    understand that the 1900 Mhz does not penetrate buildings as well as the 800
    Mhz Verizon signal. Can you share any experiences while traveling? I am
    still a little reluctant to dump Verizon even though I have had good
    experiences so far with Sprint.

    Also, I have a Sanyo phone and would like to know how to force it to roam on
    Verizon if necessary.

    Thanks,

    -mij

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >> Steve,
    >>
    >> Does SprintPCS provide better service in your area than Verizon? I am in
    >> Laguna Niguel in Orange County and Sprint provides better service than
    >> Verizon. Verizon tech support admits that they have coverage problems in
    >> LN and that they need to install new cell sites.
    >
    > "Better" is subjective.
    >
    > Sprint PCS covers Apple Valley much better.
    >
    > Verizon covers National Trails Highway (Old US 66) better up to Barstow,
    > which is rather surprising as there is almost no one living in the area
    > between Victorville and Barstow (Helendale, Silver Lakes, Hodge, etc.) If
    > I need to, I'll set my phone to roam on Verizon. Sprint doesn't have
    > service in the small towns between VV and Barstow at all.
    >
    > Verizon also covers part of Air Expressway (near the old George AFB) where
    > Sprint has their only big coverage hole in the area. (I haven't bugged
    > Sprint to fix that hole yet. Don't know how quickly they will add the
    > coverage.)
    >
    > I left Verizon due to network repair issues, not coverage problems.
    >

    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:

    > Also, I have a Sanyo phone and would like to know how to force it to roam on
    > Verizon if necessary.

    *Forcing* it generally isn't possible.

    But most Sprint phones have a Roam option that allows you to set Sprint Only or
    roaming. Sprint Only is sufficient for the big metropolitan areas where Sprint
    generally has decent coverage. If you don't have a native signal, leave Sprint
    Only selected to not have any roaming charges, but be aware that you won't be
    able to make calls. :)

    If roaming, be aware that it will cost you money if you are outside the US, or
    inside the US and not using the $5/month "free roaming" option, and also be
    aware that it's likely to be analog roaming, although Sprint has finally
    started signing digital roaming agreements with compatible carriers.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <5MbKd.15382$1t.5179@fed1read06>,
    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?

    Duh. SBC owns the majority share of Cingular. No need then for an AT&T
    Mobile running on the Sprint network.

    > > Jack Zwick wrote:
    > >
    > >> That should hurt Sprint stock today.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <270120051416356106%reply@news.group>,
    steve <reply@news.group> wrote:

    > SBC is part owner of Cingular.

    The majority part. Bell South is the minority other part owner.

    > In article <5MbKd.15382$1t.5179@fed1read06>, Mij Adyaw
    > <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    > >

    > > "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message

    > > > Short seller, are we?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > > > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <dacKd.15807$1t.849@fed1read06>,
    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    Could happen, or maybe the FTC wouldn't allow it.

    > "steve" <reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > > SBC is part owner of Cingular.
    > >

    > > In article <5MbKd.15382$1t.5179@fed1read06>, Mij Adyaw
    > > <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still
    > >> need
    > >> wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    > >>

    > >> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > In article <dacKd.15807$1t.849@fed1read06>,
    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks
    are
    > > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.
    > >

    > Could happen, or maybe the FTC wouldn't allow it.

    Or maybe they wouldn't want to pay Nextel the $1B required to have them walk
    away from the merger.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks
    are
    > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    I don't believe the FTC would allow it, as it would reduce competition.

    Bob
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Is it possible for a Sprint Phone to roam on Verizon Digital? Several years
    ago Sprint did not have coverage through Camp Pendleton and when a friend of
    mine would drive through that area with his Spring phone, the phone would
    roam on Verizon's digital network. Sprint now has good service in this area
    so that phones are on the native Sprint network. Is it still possible for
    Sprint Phones to roam on Verizon's digital network?

    Regards,

    -mij

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >
    >> Also, I have a Sanyo phone and would like to know how to force it to roam
    >> on Verizon if necessary.
    >
    > *Forcing* it generally isn't possible.
    >
    > But most Sprint phones have a Roam option that allows you to set Sprint
    > Only or roaming. Sprint Only is sufficient for the big metropolitan areas
    > where Sprint generally has decent coverage. If you don't have a native
    > signal, leave Sprint Only selected to not have any roaming charges, but be
    > aware that you won't be able to make calls. :)
    >
    > If roaming, be aware that it will cost you money if you are outside the
    > US, or inside the US and not using the $5/month "free roaming" option, and
    > also be aware that it's likely to be analog roaming, although Sprint has
    > finally started signing digital roaming agreements with compatible
    > carriers.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    AT&T, once thought to be an evil, powerful, monopolistic giant, was
    forced to divest of it's local phone companies, one of those local
    telcos being Southwestern Bell (today, known as SBC). Now, SBC may
    possibly buy what's left of the impotent, evil giant.

    The irony of the corporate world...

    On another note, does anyone know of a study which compares phone
    rates (i.e base monthly charge for local service, local and long
    distance calling rates) before the AT&T breakup (adjusted for
    inflation) with what we pay today? Just interested to see if breaking
    up AT&T turned out to be in the best interest of the consumer...

    Joseph Huber
    Huber.Joseph@comcast.net
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Joseph Huber wrote:
    > AT&T, once thought to be an evil, powerful, monopolistic giant, was
    > forced to divest of it's local phone companies, one of those local
    > telcos being Southwestern Bell (today, known as SBC). Now, SBC may
    > possibly buy what's left of the impotent, evil giant.

    And SBC is every bit as evil as AT&T was in its heyday.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <10vinqicc77j536@corp.supernews.com>,
    Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > > Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still need
    > > wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    >

    > SBC is part owner of Cingular.
    >
    > However, I have my doubts that a Cingular purchase of AT&T, the landline
    > company, would pass regulatory muster.

    You forget how much money SBC Execs gave to the Bush re-election
    campaign.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <M9dKd.647$Yd7.124@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks
    > are
    > > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.
    >
    > I don't believe the FTC would allow it, as it would reduce competition.
    >
    > Bob

    Didnt stop the Cingular purchase of AT&T Wireless, we have a
    laissez-faire regulatory climate under Bush.

    Two issues that would lean towards the approval.

    1. AT&T is no longer a big fish

    2. There are no major barriers to entry for new companies.
    i.e. Vonnage is growing superfast.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    2 things to mention:

    A) Even though both companies use CDMA primarily, integration would not
    be easy. It is expected to take approximately 2 more years to fully
    integrate the AT&T Wireless network (Cingular blue) into the current
    Cingular network (Cingular orange). From what I understand, GSM has
    certain standards that MUST be followed, such as certain requirements in
    billing systems, blacklist information, and roaming registrations.
    AFAIK there are no standards to CDMA other than the air interface. When
    GTE MobileNet, PrimeCo, Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile, and
    Vodafone/Airtouch merged to create Verizon Wireless, even though all
    companies were using or planning to use CDMA, integration was slow and
    troublesome. Verizon Wireless is known, even today, for having
    outrageous billing errors, some of which may be attributed to the
    "patchwork netork" of Verizon Wireless.

    B) There are numerous locations in the nation where there are currently
    4 national carriers : Sprint PCS, Nextel, Verizon Wireless, and "Other
    Wireless Company". Assuming that Sprint does merge with Nextel, with no
    devestitures, that already eliminates one national competitor (after
    AT&T Wireless has already been eliminated). Then, if Sprint-Nextel
    merged with Verizon, it would again eliminate another competitor. Now,
    areas with 4 or 5 competitors now have only 2 or 3 choices. This does
    not spell good times for consumers. In fact, there are even areas of
    the United States where only Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless service.
    That would eliminate competition altogether.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    >> Why would it hurt Sprint stock? If SBC purchases ATT, won't they still
    >> need wireless? Does SBC already have wireless? Who do they resell?
    >

    > SBC is part owner of Cingular.
    >
    > However, I have my doubts that a Cingular purchase of AT&T, the landline
    > company, would pass regulatory muster.

    I will be one to admit that I have never had any experience with either
    SBC or AT&T other than AT&T prepaid phone cards. It does sound like SBC
    is more of a local phone [line] company while AT&T is a long distance
    carrier. IF that is true, then SBC buying AT&T wouldn't necessarily
    eliminate competition (especially with the multitude of other LD
    carriers, including the 10-10-xxx ones), as the services would
    complement each other. With the widespread use of "toll free" plans in
    the United States, AT&T is not as strong as it used to be. The long
    distance service would also help complement Cingular.

    However, on a different note, I would have a hard time believing that
    SBC would be willing to finance the purchase of AT&T after it has taken
    steps to purchase AT&T Wireless, but you never know.

    TH
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > In article <M9dKd.647$Yd7.124@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    > > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > > > Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the
    networks
    > > are
    > > > CDMA and all phones would be compatible.
    > >
    > > I don't believe the FTC would allow it, as it would reduce competition.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > Didnt stop the Cingular purchase of AT&T Wireless, we have a
    > laissez-faire regulatory climate under Bush.
    >
    > Two issues that would lean towards the approval.
    >
    > 1. AT&T is no longer a big fish
    >
    > 2. There are no major barriers to entry for new companies.
    > i.e. Vonnage is growing superfast.

    No ... AT&T Wireless was going nowhere ... fast. That was more of a bail out
    than reducing competition.

    Bob
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Nice graphic showing how AT&T broke up and the Baby Bells merged back
    together at

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2005/01/28/MNGGNB22251.DTL

  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Is it possible for a Sprint Phone to roam on Verizon Digital? Several years
    > ago Sprint did not have coverage through Camp Pendleton and when a friend of
    > mine would drive through that area with his Spring phone, the phone would
    > roam on Verizon's digital network. Sprint now has good service in this area
    > so that phones are on the native Sprint network. Is it still possible for
    > Sprint Phones to roam on Verizon's digital network?

    It is possible. Sprint would have to have a digital roaming agreement with
    Verizon for the area in question and the phone's Preferred Roaming List, which
    can specify analog or digital for each network on which the phone could roam,
    would have to specify that the phone could roam on that network in digital.

    And you would need a tri-mode phone in most cases, because Sprint runs all of
    its networks at 1900 MHz but most of Verizon's are 800 (though they do also
    have 1900MHz spectrum in some locations). But I suggest getting a tri-mode
    phone anyhow.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > Thanks for the detailed response. I am a new Sprint subscriber and am
    > interested in any information that I can get. I am about to dump Verizon
    > because it does not work well at my home and I drop many calls or do not
    > receive the calls. I have tried all of the other carriers and Sprint is the
    > only service the works reliably at my home. I get full signal strength with
    > Sprint at my home but do not have much experience traveling with Sprint.

    If you're worried about coverage while travelling, Sprint is very good
    at covering all of the metro areas, and quite a bit of the "secondary"
    rural areas" that are marginally well populated. FOr everything else,
    if you're really concerned you can can opt for the $5 "Free & Clear
    America" roaming option that allows you to use up to have of your
    minutes while roaming on other wireless networks.

    I've added this when I know I would be travelling into rural areas, and
    have simply removed the option at the following billing cycle when I'm
    back home, and have never gotten any flack from Sprint about it.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Is it possible for a Sprint Phone to roam on Verizon Digital?

    Yes it is, when a Sprint signal is not available.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:

    > Didnt stop the Cingular purchase of AT&T Wireless, we have a
    > laissez-faire regulatory climate under Bush.

    That was a different animal altogether. Cingular is a joint-owned
    cellular outfit, and AT&T wireless was a spun off wireless-only outfit
    that didn't rank very high in number of subscribers.

    Sprint on the other hand is a company that offers Wireless, Wireline
    home service, long distance voice, and local and long-haul data.
    Verizon Wireless is a wireless outfit majority owned by Verizon, which
    is an business taht ofer local, long distance, and data as well.

    VZW and Sprint have too many fingers in too many pies. Couple that with
    the fact taht Sprint and VZW are #2 and #3 in the market, and the merger
    becomes less defendable.

    > Two issues that would lean towards the approval.
    >
    > 1. AT&T is no longer a big fish
    >
    > 2. There are no major barriers to entry for new companies.
    > i.e. Vonnage is growing superfast.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Tropical Haven wrote:

    > B) There are numerous locations in the nation where there are currently
    > 4 national carriers : Sprint PCS, Nextel, Verizon Wireless, and "Other
    > Wireless Company".

    There would actually be four in most places *after* the merger:

    1. Cingular
    2. Verizon
    3. T-Mobile
    4. "Other Carrier" (usually a regional operator such as Alltel or Cricket)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > Tropical Haven wrote:
    >
    >> B) There are numerous locations in the nation where there are
    >> currently 4 national carriers : Sprint PCS, Nextel, Verizon Wireless,
    >> and "Other Wireless Company".
    >

    > There would actually be four in most places *after* the merger:
    >
    > 1. Cingular
    > 2. Verizon
    > 3. T-Mobile
    > 4. "Other Carrier" (usually a regional operator such as Alltel or Cricket)

    "In most places" or "available to most people"? Rural Minnesota, North
    Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming are good examples of where
    such a super entity would hurt consumers.

    TH
  33. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In <jzwick3-5F2B28.06105327012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 27 Jan
    2005 12:12:34 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    ><http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050127/ap_on_bi_ge/sbc_at_
    >t_4>
    >

    >No need for an AT&T Mobile if the SBC purchase goes through.
    >In which case their wholesale purchase of SprintPCS network use falls
    >through.

    In other words, you were wrong. Imagine that.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
  34. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In <dacKd.15807$1t.849@fed1read06> on Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:28:57 -0800, "Mij
    Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    >Why doesn't Verizon buy Sprint? This would make sense since the networks are
    >CDMA and all phones would be compatible.

    1. SprintPCS is merging with Nextel.

    2. A Verizon merger with SprintPCS and Nextel probably wouldn't make it past
    the Feds.

  35. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In <10vknkq8dbibb73@corp.supernews.com> on Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:47:37 -0500,
    Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

    >Jack Zwick wrote:
    >
    >> Didnt stop the Cingular purchase of AT&T Wireless, we have a
    >> laissez-faire regulatory climate under Bush.
    >
    >That was a different animal altogether. Cingular is a joint-owned
    >cellular outfit, and AT&T wireless was a spun off wireless-only outfit
    >that didn't rank very high in number of subscribers.

    It actually ranked pretty high.

Cingular At&T Internet Service Providers