Sign in with
Your question

USB w/o drivers?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 12, 2004 1:26:52 PM

My company laptop is locked down so that I can't install software or drivers, but I would still like to use my home wireless network with the laptop. Does anyone make a USB wireless 'card' that does not require drivers (would also prefer a compact model that plugs right into the USB port)? Right now I have to connect via a wireless bridge, which isn't all that portable cause the bridge has to be plugged into AC.

More about : usb drivers

March 12, 2004 3:28:26 PM

yea right. a magical device that will install without windows knowing about it, with magical nonexistent drivers rofl

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
March 12, 2004 7:22:29 PM

Ok was it that dumb of a question? How do those mini portable USB memory stick 'drives' work without drivers? Is a USB hardrive a standard windoz driver?
Related resources
March 12, 2004 7:36:49 PM

there is no device that can work on a computer without native bios support or native windows support. even then its a form of a driver.

March 13, 2004 7:37:07 PM

If your OS has native support then you'll be fine, otherwise you'll have to load drivers. Having said that, your administrators have locked down your PC for a reason. Consult them first before you add anything to your machine. It could bite you if you don't and it causes a problem. It's your companies laptop. Something to remember.
March 13, 2004 9:15:24 PM

i think the only acception would be maybe installing usb drives. you might be able to start one of those without admin access but its doubtfull. but a network card as a non admin? no way.

March 13, 2004 9:22:41 PM

Clearly. Even the drives would only load because XP, and perhaps even 2000, have native support for it. Any device without a native driver would need rights, which he doesn't have apparantly. Sounds like it's a good thing. Anybody in support probably has horror stories about a rogue user with admin rights installing all kinds of crap. I know I do and it pisses me off to no end. Ok, off my box.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
March 13, 2004 9:51:39 PM

are you talking about native windows support or included drivers? i dont think even native supported devices would start. maybe if it was just a system service and the service was run by the system not the user. wish i had one of them things to see if it would work.

March 14, 2004 3:21:35 PM

The reason for the lock down is to reduce IT support costs, by having one common installation with limited options, and to make sure that users don't violate licenses. That's all well and fine, but let's not forget the reason why the company gave me the PC is to work effectively and an unused/under used PC is a wasted asset. We have VPN access to the company network, which works great. I just want to be able to work from home and have the freedom to use my home wireless network. Obviously, I can't install an internal pc card, but was hoping it might be possible via a USB LAN card. Looks like I'll have to stay with the wireless bridge and lug around the bridge and powersupply.
March 14, 2004 11:11:09 PM

they dont want you installing crap on it either, more junk in the mix the harder it is to trouble shoot.

March 16, 2004 1:00:09 AM

"The reason for the lock down is to reduce IT support costs, by having one common installation with limited options, and to make sure that users don't violate licenses"

Guess that's why your still in here looking for ways to circumvent your admins. Right, right.
March 16, 2004 2:00:07 AM

I don't see using a network connection as circumventing the admins (hell, they even have VPN setup for us!)...that's why I was looking for a USB wireless LAN w/o drivers-so that there wouldn't be any mod, but it appears that doesn't exist, so since the company won't pony up for a wireless card, my only choice is the bridge.
March 16, 2004 5:50:12 AM

your not a network admin and have no idea what your talking about. retarded users always want to do somthing on their stupid toys, they only want to do it cause they arent allowed. its not worth the hassle to install a wireless card on just your computer so you can play msn.com zone games in front of the tv.

March 16, 2004 9:14:42 AM

What you see or don't see is irrelevant. You obviously are incapable understanding the jest here. If it isn't a problem then why have you not just gone to your support staff and asked them? Instead you repeatedly posted on a Tech BBS. Sigh, this is growing tiresome. I'm glad you didn't find an answer to your liking. Ciao.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
March 16, 2004 10:40:27 PM

right, that's an intelligent retort...you have an amazing ability to see what I do and what my motive is....clear who's emotionally retarded...grow up and get a life!
March 16, 2004 10:42:59 PM

oh believe me, i know you, ive known 50 users just like you. do yourself a favor and drop it. your it team is probly laughing at you.

March 17, 2004 11:17:22 PM

"your it team is probly laughing at you."

As am I.
!