Is it true the XP Home cant run on our XP Pro network?! (D..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 10, 2005 6:54:11 PM

Hi

Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
network?

My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
his shiny
new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !

It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.

So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local files...!

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

More about : true home run pro network

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:54:12 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overv...

Tom

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D dd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
| Hi
|
| Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
| network?
|
| My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
| and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
| his shiny
| new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
|
| It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.
|
| So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local files...!
|
| With thanks
|

| Ship
| Shiperton Henethe

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:54:12 PM

In news:D dd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
Shiperton Henethe <shiphen@yahoo.com> typed:

> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a
> Microsoft XP
> Pro network?

No. (But see below).

> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP
> Home on
> it and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now
> appears that his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !

It isn't necessarily the salesman's fault. He may have just not
asked the right question. If he asked the question the way you
did, the answer he got was correct.

> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.

Ah! But that's a different question. And that is what XP Home can
not do.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
August 10, 2005 6:54:12 PM

"" wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a
> Microsoft XP Pro
> network?
>
> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP
> Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now
> appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
>
> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.
>
> So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local
> files...!
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Id say you should take the laptop back and demand a full refund (your
not satisfied with the product, you are legaly obliged to take it back
and get a full refund) then go else where and buy a laptop with xp
pro.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-true-XP-Home-run-XP...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1350291
August 10, 2005 6:54:12 PM

Not exactly. XP Home cannot log in to a domain, but can be used to access
shared resources on a domain. (Note that the issue you're really raising
is not "an XP PRO network" but a domain vs. workgroup situation.) If you
are dealing with basic shared files and printers (as contrasted to server
based software with security issues), this generally works out fine.
Firstly, add the user to the domain controller. The easiest way to then
connect to shared resources is to set up a batch file to map them. This can
be run from startup or a shortcut on the desktop.

See the Tech Tips and Downloads page at
http:// [Remove this and spaces] www. gtscomputerservice. com

I have a sample batch file there called "EasyMap" that I routinely use for
this with clients who need to support users laptops running XP home on their
business domain networks.

--
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D dd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
> network?
>
> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
>
> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.
>
> So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local files...!
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:49:17 PM

It is true. Just load pro on it.

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D dd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
> network?
>
> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
>
> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.
>
> So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local files...!
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:40:20 PM

In article <ddd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
shiphen@yahoo.com says...
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
> network?

After reading your full post, it appears the wrong question is being
asked. Can XP Home and XP Prog run on the same network - absolutely YES.

> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
>
> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.

Here is what you should have asked "Will Windows XP Home let me join my
company domain?", the answer is NO. XP Home does not support joining a
domain based system, you can still operate on the domains network, but
you can not join the "domain".

If you create a user/password on the domain controller, then assign the
same user/password to the XP Home computer, then put the XP Home
computer in the same "Workgroup" name as the domain, you can create a
batch file that will map shares from the server for him to use as though
he was user/password account.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
> network?

No, but it's somewhat awkward trying to attach a WinXP Home computer to
a domain. WinXP Home joins peer-to-peer workgroups quite easily, though.

> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !

Why on earth would your boss accept advice on a technical issue from a
salesman?

> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.

WinXP Home is not designed to, nor can it truly be made to, join a
domain. Nor does it allow the same sort of seamless access provided by
Win9x, although domain resources can be manually accessed by properly
authenticated users.

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

While a WinXP Home machine cannot be made a domain member, it's
still possible for a properly authenticated user to access domain
resources from a WinXP Home PC. He/she merely has to enter his domain
user name at password for each connection/share required.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:38:31 AM

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D dd4ei$5e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
>
> Is it really true that Microsoft XP Home cant run on a Microsoft XP Pro
> network?
>
> My boss has just bought an expensive new Sony Vaio PC with XP Home on it
> and is livid that despite what the salesman told him, it now appears that
> his shiny
> new laptop wont run on the network here at work... !
>
> It would need to log in to a domain not to a workgroup.
>
> So far we can get it to surf the web but it cant see any local files...!
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Windows XP Home can't join the domain, however, you can create a user
account on the server identical to a user account on his computer(both user
name and password). You will be able to browse the server with this.

Borak
http://provisioning.blogspot.com
!