Sign in with
Your question

IDE to SATA adapters

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2009 3:38:53 AM

I have 2 40GB hard drives that are IDE interface that I'd like to keep using. I also only want my optical drive on my one IDE port on my motherboard (ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo). So, I bought two IDE to SATA adapters like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... so that I can hook them individually to my SATA ports since I have several of those. My primary HDD will be a 500GB SATA. Now, I'm not entirely sure how to go about hooking those 2 other HDDs up (like which SATA ports to use). The board has SATA_E1 and SATA_E2 as well as SATA1 through 5. The way I understand it, my main SATA HDD should hook to the orange E1 port and then the two IDE would hook to SATA1 and 2? Yes? No?

More about : ide sata adapters

a b G Storage
July 4, 2009 5:42:39 AM

No, just hook each device to one of the non-orange SATA ports. Ignore the orange ports.
a c 127 G Storage
July 4, 2009 1:21:31 PM

Checkout your manual about your SATA/RAID features? You likely have two controllers, or the chipset controller can be split in AHCI (ports 5-6) and RAID mode (ports 1-2-3-4).
Related resources
July 5, 2009 5:36:48 PM

The manual says that if you have one SATA drive, to hook it to the orange port. Then there's a bunch of stuff about how to set up a RAID, which I do not want to do.
a b G Storage
July 5, 2009 7:18:07 PM

You can do that, I just don't like the JMicron controller. You also have the potential complication of using these adapters, so I wanted them all on the Intel controller.

You can try one way, or the other, or then the other, its all "good".
July 5, 2009 9:22:14 PM

beehew said:
The manual says that if you have one SATA drive, to hook it to the orange port. Then there's a bunch of stuff about how to set up a RAID, which I do not want to do.

The manual is just wrong. I don't know why companies keep promoting the JMicron controller, but you should just turn that off in BIOS since it's inferior, which will disable the orange ports.

Not all SATA to Ultra ATA controllers work with all hardware. Sometimes its a firmware issue as well. My recommendation is to connect your hard drive and optical (DVD) drive to SATA1 and SATA2, then connect the old hard drive adapters to SATA3 and SATA4.

See if the motherboard detects the old drives on the adapters, if it doesn't (ugh) try re-enabling the orange ports and attaching the old drives there. Those are slow drives and slow adapter, so connecting them to an inferior controller isn't such a big deal.

If the old drives with adapter don't work with either the red or orange ports, you're stuck.
!