Is it possible to flash a motherboard without a chip?

TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I've been looking into some motherboards that say they support the Wolfdale series with a BIOS update. I'm considering a Wolfdale chip, so this is kind of important to me. Is it possible to flash the motherboard without a chip in it? If I bought one of these motherboards and a Wolfdale chip, I wouldn't have another chip to put in to flash it with, so that would be a deal breaker for me. Any advice?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
What mobo are you looking at? Some boards will still work without the bios update. They will just not be able to identify the CPU and set it to the default settings. If you search around for the specific board you should be able find a thread where someone has tested it out already or if you post the mobos and CPU info here, someone who tried it can reply back.

this problem will stop you cold on 45 nm chips. you can put an older chip on the board, flash it, and then put your new chip in. if you don't have an older cpu laying about you can take it to a pc shop and they will flash for you.

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
When the e6400 went out few years ago, I had that problem. Well it wasn't really a problem, gave me an error then i updated the bios with a floppy and everything worked. I don't know if it's different now.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Sure you can...but you'll need to get a trench coat. :kaola: :pt1cable:

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
.....for example, with the GA-EX38-DQ6, I have talked with people who have booted up with F1 bios (F2 needed for 45nm support) using an E8400. Also check newegg reviews for the board you are looking at. Sometimes people post about using a 45nm CPU without a flash.

But again, post the mobo you are looking at here and we can help.

victorjoel

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hello, would you guys know if I could use a C2D E7500 in a Gigabyte Ga-965P-DS3 motherboard with bios version F10? Gigabyte says that I need to flash the BIOS first to F14 before I could use Wolfdale (45nm) chips. However, I don't have an old LGA775 processor to use in flashing the BIOS.

If I put the E7500 in, will I be able to POST so I could update the BIOS? You guys mentioned some motherboards would still POST except that it won't properly recognize the CPU. But as long as I could update the BIOS after that then it could work.

Thanks very much! :)

You should have created anew thread instead of reviving an old one. Unless someone has already tried it, contact Gigabyte and they will answer your question.