Advise me in populating an Intel DQ35MP please

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Here's a link to the board I've selected: Intel® Desktop Board DQ35MP.

I chose it because it was the fastest mobo I could find that was fully certified for Red Hat Enterprise 5.

I'm an experienced home-builder, but I haven't kept up with the latest advances, so I thought I'd turn to you experts for recommendations on how best to complete the system.

I've already chosen a cool Silverstone mini-desktop enclosure. Here's what I need advice on:

■I want a very fast Intel Core 2 duo (not a quad), but I just can't afford the fastest because I'm sure that's the most expensive. What's the next-fastest option in an Intel processor for this board?

■I don't like searching for CPU coolers, because I've gone wrong in the past. So either suggest one that would definitely work that is easy to install and includes everything I need or tell me if going with the retail package is a good option or not (my guess is that retail packages from Intel over-charge for the fan, but I really don't care about a few extra bucks as long as the Intel fan is plenty good enough).

■I already have 2 GB of OCZ Technology 800MHZ PC6400 Dual Channel DDR2 RAM (OCZ2A8002GK). Is that compatible with this board? Should I get faster and/or better? (I can afford very high speeds, but I don't know what the board's speed limit and timing requirements are. Speaking of which, I understand that Intel's mobos are particularly strict in the timing area. If that's true, I need to know.

■I want advice on a good, very-high resolution digital graphics add-on card, because I may be going to be using the single PCI Express x16 slot for this. Let me explain my thinking: For some reason, Intel uses an uncommonly used connector for their onboard digital graphics output, whether DVI-I or DVI-D, I don't recall which of those is the more common and which is the uncommon one, but I am drowning in cables for the one and have zero of the other. I didn't like the adapter I found, so here's a big area I need help with. Do I try to find the right cable with DVI-I at one end and DVI-D at the other to use the funky built-in Intel graphics connector or do I get a cheapie digital card that uses the connector style that's directly compatible with my current setup? I'm using an expensive digital KVMA (keyboard, video, mouse, audio), so this will not be a stand-alone configuration. I have a large-screen Samsung 245BW digital monitor. Also, I do NOT need or want a gamer's card!

So, my friends, what do you recommend?

akhilles

Splendid
Actually, I recommend Q6600 for about $200. $179 at frys.com but that deal may be gone. Especially if you're not a gamer. If you must get a dualie, go with the Wolfdale which is the new 45nm one. E8200 is to be considered if it's about $180. The fastest would be E8500, but for a premium. Which is not worth the price tag IMO.

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dq35mp

The Intel stock coola is fine for a stock pc.

You don't need faster ram than 800mhz which is the sweet spot if you don't overclock.

Go with the integrated graphics. If the connector doesn't work, you can pick up a cheap nvidia card which is great for Linux. I'm sure you know that. I recommend the Quadro NVS for business. I have the same one on their site. It was new for $10 + shipping at ebay.com. With drivers cd, 2 sets of monitor cable splitters for 2 monitor output.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadronvs.html

ambush

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2002
Thanks for some great replies, akhilles and amdfangirl!

I'm going with amdfangirl's CPU recommendation (that must have hurt a bit, eh "AMD fan girl"?), and with akhilles' on everything else.

Great work!

- Marty