Sign in with
Your question

Quick Easy Question(Win 7 install)

Last response: in Windows 7
August 29, 2011 5:08:20 AM

I want to wipe my comp and put a clean installation of Win 7 on my SSD C: drive. Thing is, I have other separate drives as well. I have about 3 separate drives that store games, applications, etc. Basically anything that doesn't have to be in C. So here's my question: If I clean install wipe my C, will the other drives still work with it? Or will they have to be wiped too? Like, all the applications and games, like steam, mozilla, etc, etc that I have on my D,X, and V drives. Would they just seamlessly integrate themselves with the now clean install of Win 7 on the local main drive? Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 5:27:30 AM

You will have to reinstall all games and applications. In future try and keep them all on your C: Drive. Having them on other drives does not avoid having to install all of them again. I expect that you are trying to save space on your SSD but if your games and applications are on HDD's then they will launch at HDD speeds anyway.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:48:58 AM

Wamphryi said:
You will have to reinstall all games and applications. In future try and keep them all on your C: Drive. Having them on other drives does not avoid having to install all of them again. I expect that you are trying to save space on your SSD but if your games and applications are on HDD's then they will launch at HDD speeds anyway.

Well the SSD is the boot drive. It's only 64GB. Then I have a main HD "D:" that has 2TB of space. So what you're saying is if I reinstall Win 7 on the boot drive SSD "C:" I have to wipe my D: drive as well? Is there a reason for that? Are there files I can backup and keep to put back on my comp after this?

To give perspective in what I mean; take a flash drive of 2GB. It has important docs and perhaps 2GB worth of steam backup files. If I put the flash on my clean PC, I could run them from there and install them. I guess what I'm asking is if my other drives, that don't have the OS on them, merely storage to compliment the OS boot drive "C" can function that way as well. So I could simply keep them in, and just reinstall anything that needs to align itself with C. OR, do I have to literally wipe my D, V and X drives completely clean for it to be recognized/work in the newly installed OS on C: I plan to do?
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2011 7:09:15 AM

You dont have to wipe the drives but chances are most games and applications will not work because they save files in the registry and in the windows folder, so you may have to reinstall all of your games and applications.

If you had movies, music, documents, or other files then you can still access those when you format your C drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 12:07:00 PM

No do not wipe your other drives. Your question strongly indicates that you have applications and games installed on other drives apart from your C:\

Your other drives can function as storage drives and you do not need to wipe them due to a reinstall.
m
l
!