Sign in with
Your question

'Dead' Western Digital WD2500JB drive

Last response: in Storage
July 5, 2009 12:19:25 PM

I have a drive from a WD 250GB external drive (Powerbook) that failed to power up a year or so ago. I'd put the drive in storage over the holidays and when I returned and set things up again the external led indicator simply flashed rapidly.

I traced this problem to being a power supply issue, so decided to remove the drive from the housing and try to run it as a slave in order to backup the data.

The drive is a WD2500JB (WD Caviar SE) - [Model: WD2500JB - 00READ]

When I house it in the spare slot of my PC with the Jumper settings set to Slave, my pc totally fails top boot up.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get this drive working again.

Many thanks.

Dylan.
a b G Storage
July 6, 2009 3:52:10 AM

It's possible something shook it up during storage. In any case, how did you connect the hard disk to your PC? Maybe you can buy a hard disk enclosure, connect the hard disk to that, and hook up the enclosure to your PC via USB?
July 6, 2009 9:09:08 AM

I housed it within the PC in a spare drive slot and connected the ribbon cable and power supply in the second position in the chain.

Can anyone tell me more about hard disk enclosures... where to get them, etc.
Related resources
July 6, 2009 9:17:11 AM

I housed it within the PC in a spare drive slot and connected the ribbon cable and power supply in the second position in the chain.

Can anyone tell me more about hard disk enclosures... where to get them, etc.
a b G Storage
July 6, 2009 12:35:05 PM

perhaps is has effected the boot order, or you do not have another IDE device in your system and slave mode forces the system to wait for a (not present) master device - wd's can do that, so check those two.
July 6, 2009 1:40:54 PM

How do I check these things? Any suggestions of resources?
July 6, 2009 1:42:20 PM

How do I check these things? Any suggestions of resources?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 4, 2010 7:05:49 AM

Do you still have this drive? I'm looking to buy one and would be interested if you want to sell it?
!