tpsulli

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hey there,

I've recently bought a computer (last month)-- I bought the parts from an online store and had a local computer store put it all together! Needless to say, I haven't built a computer myself and I'm not too familiar with troubleshooting a problem myself :) I mainly use this computer for Team Fortress 2 and other steam games.

Worked pretty well for a while, til about 3 weeks after purchase, the graphics would artifact to the extreme during gameplay and it would freeze then I would have to restart the computer. This process is not limited to happening while I'm playing games, it would do the same when in the bios, when loading windows, and on the desktop.

I've tried reinstalling nvidia drivers from the original CD and the latest drivers from the nvidia website to no avail. The reason why I took this avenue is because i'd get blue screened with stop errors (the windows help applet said it maybe due to graphics drivers).

I've downloaded RivaTuner to mess with the fan speeds and gpu memory and all that. I've created schedules for the fan to be running at 80-100% capacity and the gpu temp runs between 44-56 degrees Celsius. So it can't be temp issues right ? Heh. I've also thought about fiddling with other settings, but I don't think I'm as knowledgeable as I should be about that side of things to deal with it! :eek:

EDIT: Just wanted to explain about psu
It could possibly be a psu issue too -- I would test a newer beastly zalman one, but I don't really have the money at the moment! What sucks is at the time of the computer purchase, I could have got a super psu, but I didn't bother .. Gah!
It is a Manhattan ATX P4 Power Supply, with 500w.. not too sure about volts and amps at the moment! My flatmate reckons that this is the source of my problems, the power maybe cutting out, producing the graphics and system freezes. I bought the power supply from the same place that assembled it, and I think that maybe they just chucked it in there, saying "Oh sweet as, 500watts should be goooooooood!"

So.... what it boils down to is either a power supply issue, or a graphics card defect right? I can't really think of anything else.. :pfff:

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm, I'm quite sure I've got the specs right

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66ghz

Memory: 2GB RAM

GPU: XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog XXX 512mb

Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3R

PSU: Manhattan ATX PSU P4 Power Supply - 500 watts
http://www.tomauri.com/do/product?sku=3768

And I'm running xp

Cheers!

kwanasek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Since you admit your not savvy of computers I would recomend taking the PC back to the shop that assembled it. They should provide some sort of warentee for taking your money to assemble it.

tpsulli

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Sorry, I should have added this as well :

I've taken it back to the shop before, and they've told me that it must be a graphics card defect. The reason I've made this thread is pretty much making sure that this is indeed the reason.

My flatmate is adamant that it is a PSU issue, related to my "cheap crappy" psu. :) Do I need more than 500w for an 8800 gt?

Sorry if any of this is unbelievably dumb or frustrating to read in any way

cheers again

kwanasek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
You PSU is light. Look at your video card manual for PSU requirements. Those cards typically required ~450 watt with a CPU. That doesn't leave much for anything else in the box. Also, PSU ratings are more of a guideline than an absolute. Figure out your max CPU and GPU watt requirements then add 25% for your PSU. These days I wouldn't put anything less than a 600 watt in a gaming rig.