Partition problems

jdelp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I was using partition magic on my external hard drive to make another partition on it. I was decreasing the size of an already set partition and then using that space for the new partition. During the process the power went out. When I powered the computer on the original partition was not viewable in My computer like before. I then opened partition magic and it showed the partition but it was an unknown name. I then ran testdisk and it could read the partition and all my folders in it, but I could not figure out a way to make it viewable again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

r_manic

Administrator
Hi jdelp, I suggest you use testdisk to recover your files first. Is it possible to make an image of the partition? If so, then just format the hard disk completely, rebuild the partitions, then just restore the partition images.

jdelp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Sorry I have been out of town and busy with work to be able to try this. I connected the HDD again last night and I could not get test disk to find the messed up partition. I tried for about one hour with no luck. Nothing has been changed since the HDD has just been sitting unplugged for the week-2 weeks since this post.