Sign in with
Your question

K and L drives?

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 30, 2012 6:23:33 AM

Hello,

A few months back I've tried replacing my D drive (apparently both my C and D drives are supposed to be 80 GB, but C only shows as 50 and D shows 18), but it didn't work. I tried a few more times with my C as well, but every time I started my computer back up it was as if nothing happened. Even programs on the replaced drive still worked. Eventually, I gave up. Then I got messages that my RAID volume degraded and, curiously, copies of my C and D drives named K and L, respectively.

https://p.twimg.com/AzBzbMVCQAEDKfl.jpg:large

I've deleted some things from K (C copy) and everything from L (D copy), and so far, it hasn't affected my C and D drives.

My questions are: Why did my C and D drives only show as 50 and 18 GB, respectively? I can understand if Vista took 25 GB from C, but I don't get why D's like that. How did programs on my replaced drive still work when the files were on the drive that was already taken out? Why didn't my hard drive replacements work? Was it because I didn't have drivers (even though the sellers said that they'd work without them)? Why did I get copies of my C and D drive? HOW did I get copies of my C and D drive? And finally, can I delete EVERYTHING from my K drive, including Windows?

I've never heard of anyone else having this situation.

My computer's model is a Dell E510, if anyone wants to know.

I know it's a lot, and thanks :) 

More about : drives

July 31, 2012 6:10:27 AM

Hi, this picture could not display your disk configuration, and how did you copy C and D? If just copy the partition, you could not boot from the new disk. But the programs could still work.

Your disk did not shows the full capacity, you'd better print a screenshot of your disk management here.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 5:46:00 PM

What you have here are two physical drives, that you did a ton of odd configurations with. Each drive is 80 gig, but your C and D are on the same drive. Why are you even running RAID here? Having backups on the same drive as the other data is also useless, if the drive fails, you lose everything on it, does not matter what partition it's in.

You tried to do some stuff here, but not properly.

Start over. Backup your data, make sure you have your setup disks for your programs. Remove all partitions and re-format the main drive, install Windows on it. Then format the second drive, and use that drive as a backup. If you want to setup Raid1 for redundancy, do that on the two drives, don't mess around with creating all sorts of partitions on the disks though.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:57:46 AM

"Why did my C and D drives only show as 50 and 18 GB" you seems to say that your disk should be 80GB, but from the screenshot I noted that actually your disk is only 74.5GB large. About the size difference, it is caused that windows counts 1kb=1024byte, but OEM counts 1kb=1000byte.

I got a little confused from your discription, did you just want to back D partition or want to boot from the second hard drive? If you want to boot from the second drive you could learn this article: http://www.disk-partition.com/help/migrate-system-wizar...
m
l
!