Problems Installing XP 64 - need to format HDD

twpinson

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello,

I upgraded the RAM in my PC up to 6 gb and was hoping to install XP 64 so that my system can actually take advantage of it. I am installing onto a new(ish) HDD as well that was empty before. I did the full format just to be on the safe side, and all was going well until setup hit a roadblock and I started getting the following message:

"Setup was unable to access files needed to continue." After trying again several times, I eventually get this:

"An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the Setup log file."

I did some research online and most people said that reformating the drive and starting over usually did the trick, but...whenever I restart, setup takes over and goes right back to where it was without giving me the option to start over. So I'm in a sort of XP 64 install limbo and I can't seem to get out!

Any ideas as to what I can do?

I don't suspect you did anything wrong. To install an operating system is as normal as any other disk read/write operation.

Don't make out the death certificate on your drive too soon. Unplug it, take it out. Put it back, proving all pins are straight and are well seated in sockets. Check cables for incomplete connections if you have time or, plug in another drive on same cables. Don't ignore your BIOS, or how old it's battery is. Verify settings stay overnight without changing when no power is applied to the machine. Check BIOS is set to recognize the drive correctly. Try the drive in another computer if one is available. After all that, if it is dead, be happy they are now so cheap to replace. I recommend Samsung. I fix drives as a hobby and have worked on one in the last 6 years, but oh, the Seagates I've been swamped with.