not_again

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
im curious if my cpu is toasting itself....
slowly my problems are getting worse, it all started when i was loading any inparticular, i would get hang-ups and/or freezes.
now ive got problems keeping the cpu cool, it maxed out
one day @ 67 celcius, i quickly turned it off, has never gotten that hot again. since then whenever i either click on something or load even the internet, it will (sometimes) restart itself or freeze. i even had to underclock this AMD 2600 down to 1250, for it to run under 50 celcius. im wondering if anyone has had these problems, and what has got to be done in order to keep working order.

at first i thought my problems layed with the mobo, since before it got to 67 celcius, i was having problems with loading "just" games.

please help

endyen

Splendid
Take the fan off the heatsink, then clean bothe really well.
While you are there, look at the capacitors around the chip. If the top is not flat, or they are leaking, they are overvolting your chip.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

reapply thermal paste after cleaning as well.

royalcrown

Distinguished

caps don't determine the voltage of a circiut, only release energy when the circuit voltage drops.

endyen

Splendid

Oh, I thought a pi filter sort of filtered out the high and low points.
So, if the caps aren't storing the peaks, where are they going?

brightmotor

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
67C isn't unreasonable for a cpu, your fan may be **** up, though.

Bad, leaking, or blown caps can cause all sorts of weird symptoms, so keep an eye for those, and run antivirus and antispyware