New Gaming PC, CPU giving me problems..Suggestions?

etoile

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Alright, So I decided to build myself a gaming PC using:

EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Mobo
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 45nm E8400 3.0 ghz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
Creative 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Prof.
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply

I got everything set up last night and when I went to turn it on to install xp pro.. the PC just shuts off.
Apparently on the motherboard a red light by the cpu fan is on.. indicating an overheating from the cpu..
I know the mobo and cpu is compatible and everything is brand new in box..
CPU came with offical intel heatsink.. everything was properly installed and placed.. yet the temps in bios reached as high as -128c. Hot as hell.
Did I miss something here.. did I do something wrong? I called EVGA they said everything should work I installed latest bios driver for motherboard..
So I called Intel this morning.. Guy said to just go ahead and ship it to them for a new one which I won't get to next week sadly.. I been dying to get this thing up and going =[

So anyone witness a similar problem or have any suggestions as to why this is happening? A Tech at Evga did mention perhaps there was too much thermal on it but.. This is standard amount from intel and I doubt they'd apply too much~

Also yes. I did remove all stickers and films on cpu...

feedback would be grateful
thanks,
Stephanie

houstonserenity

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
Ok I don’t want to ask you simple questions But?

Are all the power cables plugged in? The 24 pin + the 8 pin

Is the CPU fan plugged into the right one?

Is the case on off switch hooked up right on the motherboard?

The ram you are using did you try 1 stick and the other?

Did you try a different power connector to your hard drive?

Now if yes to all of the above try taking out the CPU and see if you see and debris on the pads.

Mother Board battery mite not be seated well.

If you have another power, supply try changing them out.

Please try these suggestions if the do not work it mite be time to RMA an item or two.