TOT- Snail Mail

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 27, 2005 11:51:18 PM

Okay, I need more places to send some of the
stuff I make. Cards mostly, and I've been playing
around making odd envelopes and writing paper.
(Small things amuse small minds, eh?) :D

I ran across a couple of old Long Dongle addresses,
but I seem to have lost Thrasher's. I think I have IcyHot's
new one, but no one else's.
I do understand the reluctance of some of you married
folks, having to explain to the wife why you're getting mail
from some woman in Arizona. LOL
But if you single guys and brave dudes are okay with it,
I'd love to drop you a line with a couple of photos in it.
Especially of my cats- I'm practicing printing digital pics
from diskettes and my hard drive on various papers, and
now I find myself with far more than I need for scrapbooks!

I grew up when Pen Pals were a cool thing, and I guess
I miss that. Send your info to me at miracle@spamcop.net
and I'll get busy. International mail is no problem for me, and
I don't expect anyone to reply if they don't want to. I just
want some new places to send my creations. :)

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

More about : tot snail mail

April 28, 2005 1:42:00 AM

Would K.B. in Winfield be so kind as to also email his
AGS-T nick? I have no idea who you are!!! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 28, 2005 3:51:43 AM

>^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>his body were:
> Would K.B. in Winfield be so kind as to also email his
> AGS-T nick? I have no idea who you are!!! LOL

That'd be me, hon. Thought I emailed ya from my hellmark address but I
guess I didn't.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 28, 2005 4:16:04 AM

Hellmark wrote:
>> ^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
>> through his body were:
>> Would K.B. in Winfield be so kind as to also email his
>> AGS-T nick? I have no idea who you are!!! LOL
>
> That'd be me, hon. Thought I emailed ya from my hellmark address but I
> guess I didn't.

LOL I just realized who "KB" was and came in here to
holler "Never mind!".

How many "senior moments" do I hafta have in a week?!?!?

DOH!!!

April 28, 2005 4:25:45 AM

>^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>his body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>>> ^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
>>> through his body were:
>>> Would K.B. in Winfield be so kind as to also email his
>>> AGS-T nick? I have no idea who you are!!! LOL
>>
>> That'd be me, hon. Thought I emailed ya from my hellmark address but I
>> guess I didn't.
> LOL I just realized who "KB" was and came in here to
> holler "Never mind!".
> How many "senior moments" do I hafta have in a week?!?!?
> DOH!!!

It ain't senior moments, or blond moments, its moments where you realize
you're human. We all are that way sometimes, no big deal.
April 29, 2005 11:14:25 AM

> All right you buttholes, *5* responses is hardly adequate.

Just let me add a big "Thank you!" to you five- you
know who you are. :)

I'm already busy making cards and pics for y'all.
LOVED all your emails- you guys are such a great bunch!!!!

But that damn Frank.............. ;)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 29, 2005 9:34:52 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4272987d$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I'm also learning how to print photographs, using different
> papers and settings on the 2 newer printers, so I've got an
> abundance of cat photos to use up. Can I send you some? LOL

Speaking of which (sorta), I've got several boxloads of old family photos
that I want to digitize. Anyone here have recommendations on a good scanner
that you'd want to use for precious heirlooms?

The idea is to save the data from the evils of air on old paper, and to
also keep all the digitized results in a form that makes it easy to
annotate with who's in each photo and what they got caught doing. ;)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:48:59 AM

On 29 Apr 2005 20:34:35 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
>
> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
>
> Forget the latter- ain't happening.

Hmm... I prefer emails tbh. Those things don't cost much (connection/ISP
charges) and are pretty instant (AND $SERVER == "worky").

Besides, I do like to keep my home address quite private.

What's the point of having a private life (mine being "life offline/away
from PC") if it's not?

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Mr K wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2005 20:34:35 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>

>> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
>>
>> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
>>
>> Forget the latter- ain't happening.
>

> Hmm... I prefer emails tbh. Those things don't cost much (connection/ISP
> charges) and are pretty instant (AND $SERVER == "worky").
>
> Besides, I do like to keep my home address quite private.
>
> What's the point of having a private life (mine being "life offline/away
> from PC") if it's not?

Dito.

Though, of course, I have no life offline/away from PC, and as such am
virtually a virtual entity.

For the time being, certainly, my home address will remain private from
non-immediate-physical-vicinity'ers.

--
Frank
Anonymous

Mr K wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2005 20:34:35 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
>>
>> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
>>
>> Forget the latter- ain't happening.
>
> Hmm... I prefer emails tbh. Those things don't cost much
> (connection/ISP charges) and are pretty instant (AND $SERVER ==
> "worky").
>
> Besides, I do like to keep my home address quite private.
>
> What's the point of having a private life (mine being "life
> offline/away from PC") if it's not?

/me sighs deeply. Okay.

But my mail won't send now from the laptop. Can you
decipher this error message? I just tried to send a photo of
the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
email addy.)

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
Subject 'Looking Up Through......', Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
'550 relaying to <Mr.K.com> prohibited by administrator',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
0x800CCC79"

My question is, your admin or mine?

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 30, 2005 5:30:26 AM

Quixote wrote:
> Is this the whole altered art scene thing? My wife does that. She
> is part of group that will make a booklet, send it around to the
> group, who will each add their page of artwork to the little booklet,
> etc. Everything is fair game if it can be cut, painted, drilled,
> torn, glued, taped or tied in place. My wife would love to receive
> anything you can send, though it might wind up part of a project, is
> that okay?
> Quixote

No, but I've got just such a book! I'd love to do that!!
Have her return it to me, and then I'll send it the other fellows
in here who would like to participate! Or whatever!

COOL!!! :)

April 30, 2005 5:39:34 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Dito.
>
> Though, of course, I have no life offline/away from PC, and as such am
> virtually a virtual entity.
>
> For the time being, certainly, my home address will remain private
> from non-immediate-physical-vicinity'ers.

You two are curmudgeons, plain and simple. ;-(

Okay. But it sure would be cool to get stuff like a dried leaf
or something from where y'all live. I'm heavy into scrapbooking,
and love weird stuff like that. And I wanted to send y'all some
homemade cards.

Boogers.

Well, it just means more for the fellows who *did* trust me.

HMPF!

--
>^,,^< Miracle, all huffy and puffy, stalks off

April 30, 2005 5:49:20 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Speaking of which (sorta), I've got several boxloads of old family
> photos that I want to digitize. Anyone here have recommendations on a
> good scanner that you'd want to use for precious heirlooms?
>
> The idea is to save the data from the evils of air on old paper, and
> to also keep all the digitized results in a form that makes it easy to
> annotate with who's in each photo and what they got caught doing. ;)

Ooh yeah, my newest scanner is really nice! I replaced my older
one last year, to get higher dpi resolutions. I recommend any newer
one highly!
Mine happens to be a Visioneer OneTouch 8920USB, and it can
scan up to 4800dpi. My old Mustek topped out at 1200dpi. So the
quality of the newer one is *so* much better.
They're pretty cheap now, too. I think I paid $59 for the new one!

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 30, 2005 1:28:55 PM

On 30 Apr 2005 01:27:56 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> /me sighs deeply. Okay.
>
> But my mail won't send now from the laptop. Can you
> decipher this error message? I just tried to send a photo of
> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
> email addy.)
>
> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
> Subject 'Looking Up Through......', Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
> Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
> '550 relaying to <Mr.K.com> prohibited by administrator',
> Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC79"
>
> My question is, your admin or mine?

Going off that, it could be either. Check the file extension(s), to see if
it's not something that might be restricted (some ISP's won't send/receive
..scr, .exe, .com or .bat, purely for PC security reasons).

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:18:41 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4272df1b$1_1
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.

This looks like the important part. I don't see an address there. If the
address in his post is valid, you should see <duffstuff@hotmail.com>. The
address is normally delimited by "angle brackets" (less-than and greater-
than) and everything else on the line is considered a comment by the
delivery systems.

It looks like your mail got sent to the host "mr" in the domain "k.com",
instead. Something tells me Mr. K doesn't have an account there. ;)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:24:06 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4272e420$1_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Mine happens to be a Visioneer OneTouch 8920USB, and it can
> scan up to 4800dpi. My old Mustek topped out at 1200dpi. So the
> quality of the newer one is *so* much better.
> They're pretty cheap now, too. I think I paid $59 for the new one!

Sounds good. I've seen a few that have different "X" and "Y" resolutions,
like 4800x9600, and I'm wondering why the asymmetry. I've also seen several
with film holders so I can feed negatives to them. There was a nice Epson
at Best Buy for around $300 but they were out of stock, with just the
display model. And I want to research more before I settle on The One.

Any idea what the color response is on the Visioneer? I think the Epson was
24-bit, but even that's not a whole lot of info, since it doesn't say much
about the optics or the quality and color accuracy of the CCD.

This is one of those things where I don't mind spending $500 if I get
something that beats everything else on the market, as what I'm scanning is
so valuable to me.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:04:46 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Speaking of which (sorta), I've got several boxloads of old family photos
> that I want to digitize. Anyone here have recommendations on a good scanner
> that you'd want to use for precious heirlooms?
>
> The idea is to save the data from the evils of air on old paper, and to
> also keep all the digitized results in a form that makes it easy to
> annotate with who's in each photo and what they got caught doing. ;)

Well, I now have a Canon MP130 multifunction gizmo, and it scans, so...
yeah.

Canon in general is pretty good, and go for a good optical resolution.
Beyond that, you can't really go wrong nowadays.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:16:54 PM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> But my mail won't send now from the laptop. Can you
> decipher this error message? I just tried to send a photo of
> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
> email addy.)

Did someone call tech support?

> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
> Subject 'Looking Up Through......', Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
> Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
> '550 relaying to <Mr.K.com> prohibited by administrator',

This is key. The server is PeoplePC's.

Are you connecting via PeoplePC? If so, call them and yell at them.

If not, and K's E-mail address is not an @peoplepc.com address, you
should change the SMTP server to the server of your current provider.
(Outlook, Extra->Accounts, tab E-mail, doubleclick your E-mail account,
go to tab Servers, change SMTP server).

If K's E-mail address is @peoplepc.com, it's his problem.

"Mr.K.com" doesn't strike me as a valid E-mail address in any case.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:22:35 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:18:41 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

[Snip]

> It looks like your mail got sent to the host "mr" in the domain "k.com",
> instead. Something tells me Mr. K doesn't have an account there. ;)

WTF???// I DUNT HAV A INTERNTE ADRES AT MR.K.COM???// teh SUKC!!11

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:48:12 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> But my mail won't send now from the laptop. Can you
>> decipher this error message? I just tried to send a photo of
>> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
>> email addy.)
>
> Did someone call tech support?

Ah! I should have asked you first! I forget you do this
for a living, since you appear so sane. ;)

>> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
>> rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
>> Subject 'Looking Up Through......', Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
>> Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
>> '550 relaying to <Mr.K.com> prohibited by administrator',
>
> This is key. The server is PeoplePC's.
>
> Are you connecting via PeoplePC? If so, call them and yell at them.

No, a good 99% of the time I'm using GNA's wireless DSL.

> If not, and K's E-mail address is not an @peoplepc.com address, you
> should change the SMTP server to the server of your current provider.

Ah, I tried that, using both my satellite SMTP server and the spamcop
one. I wonder which server it actually went out on....

Frank, the header says it went out through PeoplePC. WTF?!?!?

> (Outlook, Extra->Accounts, tab E-mail, doubleclick your E-mail
> account, go to tab Servers, change SMTP server).
>
> If K's E-mail address is @peoplepc.com, it's his problem

True enough, he'd be over here and I'd be driving him even
more batshit than I already do!

> "Mr.K.com" doesn't strike me as a valid E-mail address in any case.

Well no, but everyone *deserves* their own domain, eh? ;)

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 1, 2005 11:55:03 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4272df1b$1_1
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
>
> This looks like the important part. I don't see an address there. If
> the address in his post is valid, you should see
> <duffstuff@hotmail.com>. The address is normally delimited by "angle
> brackets" (less-than and greater- than) and everything else on the
> line is considered a comment by the delivery systems.
>
> It looks like your mail got sent to the host "mr" in the domain
> "k.com", instead. Something tells me Mr. K doesn't have an account
> there. ;)

Aw, COME ON!! I know I've been a fruitloop lately, but
honest to gosh I *did* say this in my post:

"> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
> email addy.)"

Mr K was sweet enough to let me send to his ISP email addy,
so of course I hid it by subbing his real info with "Mr.K.com".

So there- I've managed to save that propeller blade! :D

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 1, 2005 12:09:55 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4272e420$1_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Mine happens to be a Visioneer OneTouch 8920USB, and it can
>> scan up to 4800dpi. My old Mustek topped out at 1200dpi. So the
>> quality of the newer one is *so* much better.
>> They're pretty cheap now, too. I think I paid $59 for the new
>> one!
>
> Sounds good. I've seen a few that have different "X" and "Y"
> resolutions, like 4800x9600, and I'm wondering why the asymmetry.

Because they have to make a microscopic "jump" to the next line,
but can pack in the pixels *in* the line.
Does that make sense? I know why, but I'm piss-poor at explaining it.

> I've also seen several with film holders so I can feed negatives to
> them.

Yes, even mine has that.

> Any idea what the color response is on the Visioneer? I think the
> Epson was 24-bit, but even that's not a whole lot of info, since it
> doesn't say much about the optics or the quality and color accuracy
> of the CCD.

Not off the top of my head, but if I find the manual....

> This is one of those things where I don't mind spending $500 if I get
> something that beats everything else on the market, as what I'm
> scanning is so valuable to me.

I hear that. I've got pictures of my babies that were printed on
lousy paper, and I sure wish this type of technology had been
around as they turned yellow. :(
Beware of those folks who show up at discount stores taking
"portraits".

--
>^,,^< Miracle, who learns the hard way every time

May 1, 2005 2:59:29 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748b57_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Aw, COME ON!! I know I've been a fruitloop lately, but
> honest to gosh I *did* say this in my post:
>
> "> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
>> email addy.)"
>
> Mr K was sweet enough to let me send to his ISP email addy,
> so of course I hid it by subbing his real info with "Mr.K.com".

Ok, just checking. Even the smartest people (and I don't claim to be one,
but I support a few) get simple things wrong, and it's hard to debug
without a real, unexpurgated error message. (Check out
comp.protocols.dns.bind, where the folk won't even answer you until you
post real data. Even if it's internal data behind the company firewall.)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:20:07 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748ed3$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Because they have to make a microscopic "jump" to the next line,
> but can pack in the pixels *in* the line.

That makes sense, similar to the printing direction, with laser printers.
In one axis the resolution would be established by how closely you can
manufacture the elements in the "head", which itself can be done optically
and so can be made very fine-pitch. On the other axis resolution is
established by the positioning system, which must be done in the field on
each scan, not once at the manufacturer, and so will be more expensive. (I
do robotics, and we sneer at "cheap" stepper systems because they're coarse
and slow compared to the l33t servo systems we use, necessary for fast
fine-motion action when handling semiconductors in manufacturing. It
wouldn't surprise me if our stuff was used in making the scanner sensors.)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:23:22 PM

ScratchMonkey's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748ed3$1_7
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>> Because they have to make a microscopic "jump" to the next line,
>> but can pack in the pixels *in* the line.
> That makes sense, similar to the printing direction, with laser printers.
> In one axis the resolution would be established by how closely you can
> manufacture the elements in the "head", which itself can be done optically
> and so can be made very fine-pitch. On the other axis resolution is
> established by the positioning system, which must be done in the field on
> each scan, not once at the manufacturer, and so will be more expensive. (I
> do robotics, and we sneer at "cheap" stepper systems because they're coarse
> and slow compared to the l33t servo systems we use, necessary for fast
> fine-motion action when handling semiconductors in manufacturing. It
> wouldn't surprise me if our stuff was used in making the scanner sensors.)

Robotics you say? Hmmm. One of the things I am wanting to do is take a
old machine I have, drop linux on it, and have it control movement of two
motors based on video (and possibly audio) input to make a robotic head.
Yeah I know I could use stamps, however, I want to network it so any of my
computers could be a terminal for me to manually control it. The sensors I
want to put into an old printer switch box (about 9" wide, 3" tall, and 6"
deep) along with a small speaker and a webcam (but not using the webcam
as a video sensor, unless I could do that effectively, because the
comp doesnt have USB support), and have that mounted on a base with a
motor to control motion to rotate it side to side, and tilt forward and
back. However, I don't have alot of electronics experience (Wiring guitars
and such is about it), so if you could point me in a direction, that'd be
cool). Keeping cost down to as cheap as possible
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:39:25 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Frank van Schie wrote:
>
> Ah! I should have asked you first! I forget you do this
> for a living, since you appear so sane. ;)

Sane? True. My only eccentricity is an invisible pink unicorn, but it's
harmless and housebroken.

>>>"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
>>>rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'Mr.K.com'.
>>>Subject 'Looking Up Through......', Account: 'PeoplePC Online',
>>>Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
>>>'550 relaying to <Mr.K.com> prohibited by administrator',
>>
>>This is key. The server is PeoplePC's.
>>
>>Are you connecting via PeoplePC? If so, call them and yell at them.
>
> No, a good 99% of the time I'm using GNA's wireless DSL.

Ah, k. So you DO have PeoplePC at some points.

>>If not, and K's E-mail address is not an @peoplepc.com address, you
>>should change the SMTP server to the server of your current provider.
>
> Ah, I tried that, using both my satellite SMTP server and the spamcop
> one. I wonder which server it actually went out on....
>
> Frank, the header says it went out through PeoplePC. WTF?!?!?

If you look at Outlook, Extra->Accounts, tab E-mail, do you have
multiple accounts? Set the server for GNA's connection as the default
connection, and ensure that it uses his SMTP server.

>>"Mr.K.com" doesn't strike me as a valid E-mail address in any case.
>
> Well no, but everyone *deserves* their own domain, eh? ;)

Mine's a 'nebulous.nl'. Pity that either miracle or smith already have
squatters in all TLDs. :-)

I only use it for the E-mail, basically, but for about 6 euro's a month
I'm happy enough (250MB webspace, 5GB data transfer limit, MySQL, PHP,
etc...)

--
Frank
Anonymous

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748b57_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Aw, COME ON!! I know I've been a fruitloop lately, but
>> honest to gosh I *did* say this in my post:
>>
>> "> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
>>> email addy.)"
>>
>> Mr K was sweet enough to let me send to his ISP email addy,
>> so of course I hid it by subbing his real info with "Mr.K.com".
>
> Ok, just checking. Even the smartest people (and I don't claim to be
> one, but I support a few) get simple things wrong, and it's hard to
> debug without a real, unexpurgated error message. (Check out
> comp.protocols.dns.bind, where the folk won't even answer you until
> you post real data. Even if it's internal data behind the company
> firewall.)

Uh, no thanks. If I can't figure out what the hell a megabit is tonight,
I sure as hell ain't up for an asswhipping!! Nope, I think I'll settle in
with "Unexplained Mysteries" and some fattening food instead. :D

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 2, 2005 12:12:35 PM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> Ah! I should have asked you first! I forget you do this
>> for a living, since you appear so sane. ;)
>
> Sane? True. My only eccentricity is an invisible pink unicorn, but
> it's harmless and housebroken.

Pink? Sorry about that. Now, if you had a *purple* one,
well, you'd have the neighbors wagging their tongues for sure!

>> Frank, the header says it went out through PeoplePC. WTF?!?!?
>
> If you look at Outlook, Extra->Accounts, tab E-mail, do you have
> multiple accounts? Set the server for GNA's connection as the default
> connection, and ensure that it uses his SMTP server.

Ah, okay, this makes perfect sense now. PeoplePC is balking
at sending mail which it believes isn't it's problem. Got it.

>> Well no, but everyone *deserves* their own domain, eh? ;)
>
> Mine's a 'nebulous.nl'. Pity that either miracle or smith already have
> squatters in all TLDs. :-)

That's okay, I own www.mrschef.com , which will do if I ever
find time to do anything with it. Maybe before I croak I'll get around
to it.
Maybe.....

> I only use it for the E-mail, basically, but for about 6 euro's a
> month I'm happy enough (250MB webspace, 5GB data transfer limit,
> MySQL, PHP, etc...)

Damn. I pay a fortune for only 125MB, and I can't remember
my bandwidth limit, but it ain't huge. That's not for the MrsChef, but
for the fan site I took over. Sadly neglected, that.
www.electronicfunzone.com

And then there's the also-long-neglected pages for Tribes & AGS-T
stuff. http://arizonaairhead.homestead.com/Tribes.html

And for pets...http://listenerspetgallery.homestead.com/GalleryIndex.h...

And crafts...http://mycraftyphotos.homestead.com/ and more crafts...
.....<http://tinkybitsbooteek.homestead.com/index.html&gt; .

You get the idea that I might be bored with web pages? LOL

Honestly, if I had my offline editor installed on this laptop, I'd be
sorely tempted to post photos for y'all. I'm just not wanting to load
this puppy up with proggies. And I *can't* make myself sit in the office
at night- I have to work in there for orders during the day and that
sorta ruined my *fun* aspect. Although, that chair is more comfortable.

Sorry for rambling- I was watching "CSI" and trying to type. Mostly
watching CSI..........

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 2, 2005 12:28:30 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748ed3$1_7
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Because they have to make a microscopic "jump" to the next line,
>> but can pack in the pixels *in* the line.
>
> That makes sense, similar to the printing direction, with laser
> printers. In one axis the resolution would be established by how
> closely you can manufacture the elements in the "head", which itself
> can be done optically and so can be made very fine-pitch. On the
> other axis resolution is established by the positioning system, which
> must be done in the field on each scan, not once at the manufacturer,
> and so will be more expensive. (I do robotics, and we sneer at
> "cheap" stepper systems because they're coarse and slow compared to
> the l33t servo systems we use, necessary for fast fine-motion action
> when handling semiconductors in manufacturing. It wouldn't surprise
> me if our stuff was used in making the scanner sensors.)

Hey, speaking of robots, we bought ourselves a Roomba yesterday!
I'm in love with a robot!!!! This thing is GREAT. It really vacuums well,
and does everything it says it does. I charged it overnight and turned it
loose this afternoon. It only got itself stuck once, and it lets you know
it needs help by "singing" to you!! LOL
Sorta like a flat little R2D2, with less vocabulary.

Thank Bob for this thing- I can't push a vacuum anymore, and Ross
doesn't have time for that nonsense. He does enough as it is. So I got
the great room in tip-top shape today, and thanks to this little robot, I
can keep it clean with ease. Thank Bob! That dirty carpet was stressing
me out something fierce.
(For folks who might not know what a "great room" is, it's what we
call a living room that is open to the dining room, and also serves as the
'family room' or den. So folks see a LOT when they walk in your front
door!)

It's so cute- when the battery charge is almost gone, it goes back to
its base and starts recharging itself. What a wonder.

--
>^,,^< Miracle, loving this robot vacuum

May 2, 2005 2:33:44 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4275e4ad$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Hey, speaking of robots, we bought ourselves a Roomba yesterday!
> I'm in love with a robot!!!! This thing is GREAT.

I've been skeptical of that thing, so it's good to hear it lives up to the
hype.

Alas, my problem isn't the dirty rug but the piles of stuff hiding it. ;)
Gotta get it all up on shelves, but it's so damn addictive sitting here
working/playing on the computer, instead. At least I got out in the yard
yesterday and pulled 60 gallons of weeds for the green can pickup tomorrow.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:48:58 PM

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42748b57_6
>> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>>> Aw, COME ON!! I know I've been a fruitloop lately, but
>>> honest to gosh I *did* say this in my post:
>>> "> the pomegranate tree to you. (I've hidden your correct
>>> Mr K was sweet enough to let me send to his ISP email addy,
>>> so of course I hid it by subbing his real info with "Mr.K.com".
>> Ok, just checking. Even the smartest people (and I don't claim to be
>> one, but I support a few) get simple things wrong, and it's hard to
>> debug without a real, unexpurgated error message. (Check out
>> comp.protocols.dns.bind, where the folk won't even answer you until
>> you post real data. Even if it's internal data behind the company
>> firewall.)
> Uh, no thanks. If I can't figure out what the hell a megabit is tonight,
> I sure as hell ain't up for an asswhipping!! Nope, I think I'll settle in
> with "Unexplained Mysteries" and some fattening food instead. :D

A byte is comprised of 8 bits, so a megabit is one eighth of a megabyte.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:46:00 PM

Ok, right now my top candidates are the Epson Perfection 4180 and the Canon
8400F. The Epson seems to have better quality but the Canon has better
usability (from what I gather from various online reviews). The Canon is
somewhat faster, acoustically quieter, and has better dynamic range, but
the Epson has less optical noise and more resolution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-
reviews/B0002P4UM2/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-6566524-3086205?%5Fencoding=UTF8
&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-
reviews/B0002U40NG/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-6566524-3086205?%5Fencoding=UTF8
&s=electronics

http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/cams/scanners/epson_can...
May 3, 2005 8:41:26 AM

Hellmark wrote:

> Too bad there isnt a wrapper for running printer drivers. I have a big
> Xerox copier and a Roland SX-15 Vinyl plotter (both very expensive
> devices) and neither have linux support.

Well, you could always try writing your own printer driver. :)

What Xerox copier do you have?

--
Troy
Anonymous

Troy's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> Too bad there isnt a wrapper for running printer drivers. I have a big
>> Xerox copier and a Roland SX-15 Vinyl plotter (both very expensive
>> devices) and neither have linux support.
> Well, you could always try writing your own printer driver. :)

Heh, if I only had the time

> What Xerox copier do you have?

Workcentre XD100 I believe (going from memory, and I dont feel like
running down to the basement)
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:39:37 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4275e4ad$1_7
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Hey, speaking of robots, we bought ourselves a Roomba yesterday!
>> I'm in love with a robot!!!! This thing is GREAT.
>
> I've been skeptical of that thing, so it's good to hear it lives up
> to the hype.

I swear, it's really a good vacuum. I highly recommend it. My only
caveat would be that it only picks up very small stuff, as its intake openings
are small. Dust, dirt, pet hair, etc. is no problem, but it won't pick up
anything the size of a raw pinto bean, for example.

> Alas, my problem isn't the dirty rug but the piles of stuff hiding
> it. ;)  Gotta get it all up on shelves, but it's so damn addictive
> sitting here working/playing on the computer, instead. At least I got
> out in the yard yesterday and pulled 60 gallons of weeds for the
> green can pickup tomorrow.

Oh, please come over here and help us! All those early wildflowers
and weeds are now dead and a fire hazard. Our "yard" looks like the
Oklahoma dustbowl of days gone by. The tumbleweeds are already
breaking free and taking off, but the rest of it just sits there and looks
awful.

/me tries to remember to take a pic of the tumbleweeds.

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 4, 2005 1:39:38 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Ok, right now my top candidates are the Epson Perfection 4180 and the
> Canon 8400F. The Epson seems to have better quality but the Canon has
> better usability (from what I gather from various online reviews).
> The Canon is somewhat faster, acoustically quieter, and has better
> dynamic range, but the Epson has less optical noise and more
> resolution.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-
> reviews/B0002P4UM2/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-6566524-3086205?%5Fencoding=UTF8
> &s=electronics
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-
> reviews/B0002U40NG/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-6566524-3086205?%5Fencoding=UTF8
> &s=electronics
>
> http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/cams/scanners/epson_can...

From past experiences with both brands of electronics, I vote
for the Epson. Also, read what you wrote in your first paragraph-
how do *you* define "usability"? If they both do the same things,
it simply boils down to optical and engineering quality, for me.

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 4, 2005 5:21:27 PM

> Oh, please come over here and help us! All those early wildflowers
> and weeds are now dead and a fire hazard. Our "yard" looks like the
> Oklahoma dustbowl of days gone by. The tumbleweeds are already
> breaking free and taking off, but the rest of it just sits there and
> looks awful.

Yeah, that's a big part of why I'm weeding. The grass shoots up waist high
in spring, then dries and becomes this nice path for fire to follow. Gotta
get it whacked down. In the front yard we have weed cloth with gravel over
it, so it's pretty easy to maintain. It still collects dust from the wind
and then the grass and weeds take root, but they're easy to yank when the
root ball is above the weed cloth and they have a single shallow taproot.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:32:45 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4278985a$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> From past experiences with both brands of electronics, I vote
> for the Epson. Also, read what you wrote in your first paragraph-
> how do *you* define "usability"? If they both do the same things,
> it simply boils down to optical and engineering quality, for me.

The Epson has been ordered, from Staples. I'll probably get it tomorrow or
the next day. The review that gave the Canon high marks was really
reviewing the bundled software on that measure, as it was better at things
like identifying boundaries between negatives and stuff like that. But I
guess I can compensate for problems in the bundled stuff using Photoshop or
GIMP.

Do you know of any good software for annotating photos? I'd like to have a
repository of all the family stuff and sit and go through them with my mom
and get the names of all the mystery relatives in them.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 2:17:04 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Yeah, that's a big part of why I'm weeding. The grass shoots up waist
> high in spring, then dries and becomes this nice path for fire to
> follow. Gotta get it whacked down. In the front yard we have weed
> cloth with gravel over it, so it's pretty easy to maintain. It still
> collects dust from the wind and then the grass and weeds take root,
> but they're easy to yank when the root ball is above the weed cloth
> and they have a single shallow taproot.

I wish we could spread the weed cloth all over the yard! But since
the new house sits at the rear of our lot, we've got a full acre stretching
out ahead of us. Rocks and gravel, however, is *no* problemo!! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 5, 2005 2:22:08 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> The Epson has been ordered, from Staples. I'll probably get it
> tomorrow or the next day. The review that gave the Canon high marks
> was really reviewing the bundled software on that measure, as it was
> better at things like identifying boundaries between negatives and
> stuff like that. But I guess I can compensate for problems in the
> bundled stuff using Photoshop or GIMP.

Good for you! I scanned a gift bag last night, and was surprised
at how fast my Epson did it. I had forgotten how speedy it is. So I'm
sure you're going to enjoy yours- the quality was most excellent.

> Do you know of any good software for annotating photos? I'd like to
> have a repository of all the family stuff and sit and go through them
> with my mom and get the names of all the mystery relatives in them.

No, I just re-save my photos with names, and sort them into folders.
I have a scrapbooking program that I still haven't used, except to print
out premade colored pages. I should look into it and see how it "handles"
the photographs. It's touted as a "complete digital scrapbooking program",
so you'd think it would have such a feature. Film at 11:00! ;)

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 5, 2005 3:46:53 AM

Hellmark wrote:
> Frank van Schie's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>
>>Now for the problem. It comes up, establishes a link to the ol' router,
>>autodetects everything just fine when I look with iwconfig, but can't
>>actually send out any IP packets. Did a 'tcpdump -i wlan0', and it shows
>>the router, but it stays remarkably blank when I do a 'dhclient wlan0'...
>>Any clues?
>
> You have WEP enabled? Seen similar issues with WEP under linux

Nah, I turned WEP off on both ends for testing. (Cheap bums around here
don't have wireless I can mooch off of, or which they can h4xx0rz me with).

As for the static IP, I'd already tried that. It simply isn't sending
out TCP. Even broadcast pings, which should elicit a response, don't
return nada, though that might be router-based firewall kicking in. It's
on a virgin Ubuntu install, so it shouldn't have a firewall enabled.

Almost certainly.

Probably.

Poissibly.

Damnit, gotta go check tomorrow. If that's it, I'm going to moiderize
someone.
--
Frank
Anonymous

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
> Forget the latter- ain't happening.

Awww, the latter I know would have had everyone writing ya! Multiple times
even!
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:17:19 AM

Hellmark wrote:
> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
>> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
>> Forget the latter- ain't happening.
>
> Awww, the latter I know would have had everyone writing ya! Multiple
> times even!

*Trust* me here- not until I gain some weight back!!

I still look a bit like 2 fried eggs nailed to a fencepost...........

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

May 26, 2005 4:38:24 PM

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>> his body were:
>>> Okay you two, you know damn well I can't get nasty at y'all.
>>> Whaddya want? Pleading? Begging? Private emails? Nude photos?
>>> Forget the latter- ain't happening.
>>
>> Awww, the latter I know would have had everyone writing ya! Multiple
>> times even!
> *Trust* me here- not until I gain some weight back!!
> I still look a bit like 2 fried eggs nailed to a fencepost...........

Bah, will bet money you still look damn good
!