m500 died - looking for replacement PDA...

Tags:
July 28, 2004 9:37:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

and I'm asking for input.
My desires are fairly simple:
- durability (my last 3 palms died of hardware failure)
- Long battery life (min 1 week at 2-3 hours' usage daily)
- Palm OS (duh)
- durability
- lots of memory
- expansion slot
- durability
- low price
- good, readable screen
- did I mention durability?

Fancy extras like WiFi, bluetooth and the ability to play hi-res movie clips
are not my bag; I want a PDA to carry my Outlook data around, play a few
card & board games, and read e-books.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:45:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Frankie" <rowe_remove_south@earthlink.remove.net> wrote in

> and I'm asking for input.
> My desires are fairly simple:
> - durability (my last 3 palms died of hardware failure)
> - Long battery life (min 1 week at 2-3 hours' usage daily)
> - Palm OS (duh)
> - durability
> - lots of memory
> - expansion slot
> - durability
> - low price
> - good, readable screen
> - did I mention durability?

Another M500? You won't get the battery life you want in any
current model. The screens and CPUs eat too much power. Other
than that, take your pick of models. They all work, it's just a
matter of price vs features.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:33:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <Xns953411DB3A618stanghalpc@204.52.135.40>,
Stan Gosnell <me@work> wrote:

> "Frankie" <rowe_remove_south@earthlink.remove.net> wrote in
>
> > and I'm asking for input.
> > My desires are fairly simple:
> > - durability (my last 3 palms died of hardware failure)
> > - Long battery life (min 1 week at 2-3 hours' usage daily)
> > - Palm OS (duh)
> > - durability
> > - lots of memory
> > - expansion slot
> > - durability
> > - low price
> > - good, readable screen
> > - did I mention durability?
>
> Another M500? You won't get the battery life you want in any
> current model. The screens and CPUs eat too much power. Other
> than that, take your pick of models. They all work, it's just a
> matter of price vs features.

Or a i705? I have one of those and I am quite happy with the
battery life. I got mine on line for USD $99 shipped a year or so ago.
I have seen them cheaper on line since. The screen size is bigger than
the M125 I had, and eats a lot less battery than my wifes Tungsten E. I
do read a lot of e-books so a b&w palm for me is the answer. As
always, ymmv.

Hope this helps

Ron Bardo <rmbardo@chartermi.net>
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 6:08:24 AM

"Frankie" <rowe_remove_south@earthlink.remove.net> wrote in message
> and I'm asking for input.
> My desires are fairly simple:
> - durability (my last 3 palms died of hardware failure)
> - Long battery life (min 1 week at 2-3 hours' usage daily)
> - Palm OS (duh)
> - durability
> - lots of memory
> - expansion slot
> - durability
> - low price
> - good, readable screen
> - did I mention durability?
>
> Fancy extras like WiFi, bluetooth and the ability to play hi-res movie
> clips
> are not my bag; I want a PDA to carry my Outlook data around, play a few
> card & board games, and read e-books.
>
> Any ideas?

Take a look at the Zodiac 2 by Tapwave.com I recently upgraded from a m500
to a Zodiac 2. You get the best color screen on the market at this time, an
8MB ATI video card, sound by Yamaha, 2 SD cards, 128MB system memory, an
analog joy stick, bluetooth and an all metal case. Plus the battery life
seems to be a slight bit better then the m500 was. I get about 25 to 30
hours of use before needing to recharge mine. And thats with the back light
all the way on all of the time. Also for book reading the two trigger
buttons work very intuitivly.

Regards,

-Skon
!