cannot record to vcr

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 9, 2005 1:05:00 PM

I have the Sony KV 34hs510 and recently got a DVR box from my cable company.

The DVR box only had one coaxial cable input, in order to record to a VHS
tape I had to connect cables from my TV's "monitor out" to the VCR Line 1
input. For some reason I do not get a picture on the VCR.

Any suggestions?

And yes, I did select "line 1" on the VCR.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

More about : record vcr

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:17:37 PM

Thanks, but curious about something. I am recording network tv, NOT
dvr recordings, to the VCR. Is that still something a modulator will
fix?

Thanks!

Eddie G

SL wrote:
> I should think Macrovision. Im not savvy with DVR as I do not have one yet,
> but Ive seen it discussed. I am familiar with all other types of recording
> issues. They also suffer from macrovision protection. Its a signal that
> the vcr recognizes that in laymans terms means "scramble the signal". Older
> VCR's did not have the problem but almost all new ones do. Is a security
> thing incorporated by the guys in Hollywood. It helps against piracy. You
> can use a modulator (around 20$) that will remove it. It would go something
> like this. DVR >Modulator>VCR. Not exactly digital, but I doubt your using
> that anyways with your VCR.
>
> SL
> "Eddie G" <mickeddie(removeme)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I have the Sony KV 34hs510 and recently got a DVR box from my cable
> >company.
> >
> > The DVR box only had one coaxial cable input, in order to record to a VHS
> > tape I had to connect cables from my TV's "monitor out" to the VCR Line 1
> > input. For some reason I do not get a picture on the VCR.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > And yes, I did select "line 1" on the VCR.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Eddie G

August 9, 2005 9:56:51 PM

I should think Macrovision. Im not savvy with DVR as I do not have one yet,
but Ive seen it discussed. I am familiar with all other types of recording
issues. They also suffer from macrovision protection. Its a signal that
the vcr recognizes that in laymans terms means "scramble the signal". Older
VCR's did not have the problem but almost all new ones do. Is a security
thing incorporated by the guys in Hollywood. It helps against piracy. You
can use a modulator (around 20$) that will remove it. It would go something
like this. DVR >Modulator>VCR. Not exactly digital, but I doubt your using
that anyways with your VCR.

SL
"Eddie G" <mickeddie(removeme)@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have the Sony KV 34hs510 and recently got a DVR box from my cable
>company.
>
> The DVR box only had one coaxial cable input, in order to record to a VHS
> tape I had to connect cables from my TV's "monitor out" to the VCR Line 1
> input. For some reason I do not get a picture on the VCR.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> And yes, I did select "line 1" on the VCR.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie G

August 9, 2005 9:56:52 PM

SL wrote:

>I should think Macrovision. Im not savvy with DVR as I do not have one yet,
>but Ive seen it discussed. I am familiar with all other types of recording
>issues. They also suffer from macrovision protection. Its a signal that
>the vcr recognizes that in laymans terms means "scramble the signal". Older
>VCR's did not have the problem but almost all new ones do. Is a security
>thing incorporated by the guys in Hollywood. It helps against piracy. You
>can use a modulator (around 20$) that will remove it. It would go something
>like this. DVR >Modulator>VCR. Not exactly digital, but I doubt your using
>that anyways with your VCR.

Are you talking the same kind of modulator some of us old-TV users
use to generate an RF signal to feed a TV with no other kind of input?
If so, great, we can let the GIH have their paranoia, use a perfectly
legal piece of hardware, protect the digital material producers
against copying (in the strict sense) their material, and get what we
want, an analog time-shifted viewing.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:05:42 PM

What outputs are there on the DVR? Is it possible to use component to the TV
and line to the VCR?

What is being fed the TV? Is it an HD signal? If so, then the monitor out
from the TV may not be outputting any signal that can be recorded by an SD
VCR.

It may also be possible to send an SD signal to the TV when you want to
record.

The HD directivo will send any format to the TV, regardless of what is
recorded, so I can send an SD recording to the TV in an HD format, in which
case there is no usable signal on the svideo output, or it can send HD in
SD, in which case the program is also output on the svideo output and can be
recorded by a VCR.

I don't think that the problem is macrovision - doesn't that result in poor
picture quality, not no signal?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:29:34 PM

"Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What outputs are there on the DVR? Is it possible to use component to the
> TV and line to the VCR?

The DVR has
> What is being fed the TV? Is it an HD signal? If so, then the monitor out
> from the TV may not be outputting any signal that can be recorded by an SD
> VCR.

It is DVI (for both SD and HD). I called Sony and they said that is why I
cannot use the monitor out.
!