Removing "Format" option from context menu (C: drive)

Hi

My computer has several users, each with almost unlimited access to all
features. There is one feature that I would like to disable for all but
myself (the admin) - that is the ability to access the "Format" option
for the C: drive that appears in the context menu when you right click
on the drive in "My Computer".

I found this article

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160793

which explains how to restrict access to menus, including the ability
to disable the ability to view Context Menus, including Explorer. What
I just want to do is to restrict access to the one item, the Format
option.

Is there anyway of doing this, or do I have to disable access to the
whole of the Context Menu?

Thanks

Robbie

Robbie wrote:
> Hi
>
> My computer has several users, each with almost unlimited access to all
> features. There is one feature that I would like to disable for all but
> myself (the admin) - that is the ability to access the "Format" option
> for the C: drive that appears in the context menu when you right click
> on the drive in "My Computer".
>
> I found this article
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160793
>
> which explains how to restrict access to menus, including the ability
> to disable the ability to view Context Menus, including Explorer. What
> I just want to do is to restrict access to the one item, the Format
> option.
>
> Is there anyway of doing this, or do I have to disable access to the
> whole of the Context Menu?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robbie

In addition - as I'm not happy with this "Format" option being
available at all (I have an OEM machine without a Windows CD - all
files etc are loaded on a sepreate partition on the disk, which means
if I want to re-install Windows, everything is already there), would
clicking on it and then pressing START then OK actually reformat the
drive? Or would it refuse to do it (as the drive is in use).I'm sorry I
sound a bit clueless about this, but in all honesty, I don't like this
option being there at all, and I don't want anyone's curiosity to wreck
the computer... my curiosity included I have to admit! - I really would
like to remove the option altogether if possible.

Thanks again

Robbie

XP will not let itself be formatted out of existence.............
peterk

the problem
"Robbie" <ngrobbieuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Robbie wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My computer has several users, each with almost unlimited access to all
>> features. There is one feature that I would like to disable for all but
>> myself (the admin) - that is the ability to access the "Format" option
>> for the C: drive that appears in the context menu when you right click
>> on the drive in "My Computer".
>>
>> I found this article
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160793
>>
>> which explains how to restrict access to menus, including the ability
>> to disable the ability to view Context Menus, including Explorer. What
>> I just want to do is to restrict access to the one item, the Format
>> option.
>>
>> Is there anyway of doing this, or do I have to disable access to the
>> whole of the Context Menu?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Robbie
>
> In addition - as I'm not happy with this "Format" option being
> available at all (I have an OEM machine without a Windows CD - all
> files etc are loaded on a sepreate partition on the disk, which means
> if I want to re-install Windows, everything is already there), would
> clicking on it and then pressing START then OK actually reformat the
> drive? Or would it refuse to do it (as the drive is in use).I'm sorry I
> sound a bit clueless about this, but in all honesty, I don't like this
> option being there at all, and I don't want anyone's curiosity to wreck
> the computer... my curiosity included I have to admit! - I really would
> like to remove the option altogether if possible.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Robbie

TRENDING THREADS