Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linksys Compact Wireless-G won't install/uninstall

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Wireless
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 26, 2010 5:44:04 AM

Ok, that looks a little odd. That's because this problem is. I've searched all over the net and while I've found many people who've had problems with their compact wireless-g devices (turns out I got lucky with my last system), nobody's problem quite fits what is happening here.

Ok, so I made the carnal error of plugging the damn thing in before I installed the software off of the CD. That's the only possible reason I can think of for why it's giving me this grief, unless it's an XP 64 issue. When I was installing the driver, the install program hanged at 30% - I left it for at least 10 minutes with no activity at all. I closed it and control-alt-delete-killed the installshield, opened up the install utility...

and it said "The Driver has already been installed. If you want to replace this driver, you must uninstall the old driver."

wtf? What a stupid policy to have ANYWAYS, but...ok...

I first tried add/remove programs. It opened up, did the whole thing, gave me the satisfactory "installshield has finished uninstalling the program, yada yada...except the program never disappears from the add/remove programs list! I tried running it again...same problem. I tried running the uninstall program off of the cd...same problem. I tried deleting the entire compact wireless G folder and even hunted through the registry...nothing. I checked for system restore but it doesn't look like it's going to get me back to before I installed this thing for the first time. What do I do?

PS I'm running a just installed version of XP 64 on an asus motherboard w/ intel core-2 duo 2.8 ghz and 6gb of ram.

More about : linksys compact wireless install uninstall

August 26, 2010 6:53:10 AM

Update: I think that the problem is that linksys (cisco) has no x64 bit drivers for this device. To be honest, the lack of 64 bit support for PC hardware is rather astounding.
m
0
l
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2010 7:10:20 AM

What a mess! :lol: 

I can laugh now because I dual-boot XP Pro and X-64 here. X64 will test your patience.

I love what you said...
Quote:
wtf? What a stupid policy to have ANYWAYS, but...ok...
If I only had a nickle for every time I saw that "you must uninstall first" thing...

Start regedit, go to:
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
Value Name: DisplayName, UninstallString
for the device, and delete the key.

Now it's gone from add/remove programs... But wait! There's more!

Now:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View>Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

If this doesn't work, you'll need more... like the Device Instance Id that the installer puts in the registry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\
{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}

Ignore the part in red, that's from my machine, your device will have it's own entry.

The removing dead hardware devices might work.
Keep us informed.


m
0
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2010 7:14:08 AM

twpinson said:
Update: I think that the problem is that linksys (cisco) has no x64 bit drivers for this device. To be honest, the lack of 64 bit support for PC hardware is rather astounding.



Try a Hawking Technologies Hi-Gain Wireless-N USB Adapter, it works in X64 and is a great little device that even has a standard WiFi antenna connector to put on an external antenna (their corner reflector is awesome).
m
0
l
September 1, 2010 4:26:41 AM

Yeah, will definitely not ever buy from Cisco if I can avoid it. Linksys drove me crazy enough with their annoying software that they force you to install, but this was the last straw.

I got a lazy solution which was to take my wireless repeater and to move it into the room w/ my desktop so that I could plug directly in with my ethernet cord. Of course, xp 64 didn't even come with adapters for THAT so I had to jump-drive 'em in, but I'm finally on the net and everything seems to working for the most part. My only problem is that I can't seem to get my network set up and I use this PC for my printer. I am connected to the internet but not to my network...any ideas of how to set that up?
m
0
l
January 22, 2012 2:35:35 AM

906970,1,704511 said:
Ok, that looks a little odd. That's because this problem is. I've searched all over the net and while I've found many people who've had problems with their compact wireless-g devices (turns out I got lucky with my last system), nobody's problem quite fits what is happening here.

Ok, so I made the carnal error of plugging the damn thing in before I installed the software off of the CD. That's the only possible reason I can think of for why it's giving me this grief, unless it's an XP 64 issue. When I was installing the driver, the install program hanged at 30% - I left it for at least 10 minutes with no activity at all. I closed it and control-alt-delete-killed the installshield, opened up the install utility...

and it said "The Driver has already been installed. If you want to replace this driver, you must uninstall the old driver."

wtf? What a stupid policy to have ANYWAYS, but...ok...

I first tried add/remove programs. It opened up, did the whole thing, gave me the satisfactory "installshield has finished uninstalling the program, yada yada...except the program never disappears from the add/remove programs list! I tried running it again...same problem. I tried running the uninstall program off of the cd...same problem. I tried deleting the entire compact wireless G folder and even hunted through the registry...nothing. I checked for system restore but it doesn't look like it's going to get me back to before I installed this thing for the first time. What do I do?

PS I'm running a just installed version of XP 64 on an asus motherboard w/ intel core-2 duo 2.8 ghz and 6gb of ram.[/quotems

If you have another network driver installed it's likely that linksys is detecting it. Try removing it and reinstalling the linksys. When you plug the adapter hardware in should not give you this trouble.
m
0
l
!