Vista usb ports not detected

I have an Inspiron 530s, with Vista 32 bit and a few months ago when I was unable to scan something, (I could still print, but not able to install Dell AIO center) I went to device manager and it was showing the yellow exclamation next to two usb ports. It was the 34 error, if I am remembering it correctly, but googling that didn't help any for information

I uninstalled them thinking the drivers would be reinstalled and now they are no where to be found.

After much searching for information, I am able to scan again, but I still don't know where to find the usb port drivers to install them.

I have been on the Dell site and I have updated my Intel chipset drivers, but nothing works.

I also ran the Dell support center scan and its not showing the usb ports as being installed.

What can I do to get them back?

Thank you, lotty
2 answers Last reply
More about vista ports detected
  1. lotty said:
    I have an Inspiron 530s, with Vista 32 bit and a few months ago when I was unable to scan something, (I could still print, but not able to install Dell AIO center) I went to device manager and it was showing the yellow exclamation next to two usb ports. It was the 34 error, if I am remembering it correctly, but googling that didn't help any for information

I uninstalled them thinking the drivers would be reinstalled and now they are no where to be found.

After much searching for information, I am able to scan again, but I still don't know where to find the usb port drivers to install them.

I have been on the Dell site and I have updated my Intel chipset drivers, but nothing works.

I also ran the Dell support center scan and its not showing the usb ports as being installed.

What can I do to get them back?

Thank you, lotty

Try Refresh the USB Stack

a. Bring up - Device Manager –

b. Expand USB Serial Controllers - RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL
    all except the category itself.

c. REBOOT the computer. This refreshes the drive and the USB stack

or this:

Go to: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
    navigate down to USB Root HUB (all of them) > Right Click > Properties > Power Management Tab
    Un check "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Retry your USB device...It should work now...
  2. Hi, and thank you for your reply.

Before I refreshed the UBS stack there were 5 USB root hubs and afterwards there are 8, but the other two ports are still missing.

I feel stupid, but I cannot find the uncheck to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

lotty
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows Vista USB