Pick my new power supply Tier 1 Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi_chuck

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Okay so here is the list of Tier 1 PSU's that I will choose from. I have never had any of these brands and I don't which one to choose. Anybody that has or has had these let me know what you think. I want a big daddy power supply. I looked up all of these last night and some look better to me than others. I personally liked the Enermax Galaxy and the PCP&C brand. Today is a great day for computer sales so I would like to get it ordered this evening. Thanks.

Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market
Enermax Galaxy
PCP&C TurboCool
PCP&C Silencer >610
Zippy/Emacs SSL
Zippy/Emacs GSM
Zippy/Emacs PSL
Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
Seventeam ST >600 (SSI, V2.91)
Silverstone OP/DA >700W

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have Enermax Galaxy 1000W.... it is mammoth overkill! A pretty big mistake on my part. With that said it is a pretty kick ass PSU.

I would go with a PCP&C Silencer if I could go back. I was just too impatient, it was backordered :(

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have found that with the same MB/CPU/RAM that I get the same high end (or better) OC's as other people,but with a PC Power & Cooling I -never- needed to go over stock volts on any of the parts of the system.

The older systems in my forum profile (3 years old) all have a 50% OC on air.

EDIT: If you order dirrect from PC P&C you get same day shipping and @ or below Newegg/Tiger sale prices.

2nd grieve, Enermax Galaxy is massive overkill! Just sitting there waiting for a pair of GTX 280's to play with....

I also hear very good things about the PCP&C PSU's. If you don't really need a Galaxy, go with the Silencer.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Check out johnnyguru.com he does very good reviews and no ****. Most of these he would have done a review on.

They are all solid so any choice you make will be fine. Just remember you dont have to go overboard, most rig's built wont require over 600w PSU

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w Quad, that is the most stable power supply on the market, the only one that comes close to it's stability is the Enermax Galaxy S DXX 1000w, which with its extras like modular cables, 1000w, and a huge load of Amps, I would say they are tied as the absolute best. Thing is, get the PC Power and Cooling, it is cheaper, slightly more stable, quieter, runs cooler, and is of reasonable size. I own one and I can honestly say, wow, every single overclock I had been using was suddenly able to work at lower voltages, and the PSU is totally silent.

P.S. the Crossfire edition looks great in it's crimson red paint!

kiwi_chuck

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Okay, so after going through pretty much all of jonnygurus.com reviews. I think I'm going with the Corsair HX1000. It is overkill, but he gave it an amazing review for stability and efficiency. I also looked at some other reviews for it and they pretty much all said the same thing. Plus who knows, maybe when Nehalamen comes out and the way video cards are going I might just be able to use all that juice.

mrmez

Splendid
They are all good.
Not quite a T1...
I went with a Corsair 750w something or other.

Its not modular (pcp&c will tell u thats a good thing), but it does have a single 12v rail running 60A which is more than i'll ever need.

mrmez

Splendid
When you say "remember modular cables"
do u mean remember to get them or not get them?

PSU's with modular cables tend to spread their amps over more rails, which is one reason why pcp&c DONT make modular psu's.
This can lead to a situation where you are maxing out one rail, and hardly using another.
For me, using the psu's power evenly was more important since ive got an Antac P180 and plenty of room for excess cable.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Out of many web sites that give PSU test reviews, until one starts using the Chroma Power Supply Auto Test System model 8000, I will rate the bast sites in order.

Hard OCP their test methodology and equipment are the best that I have found to date. (they tested the PCPower Silencer 860 and gave it a so-so review) The reason I bought the 750.

Jonny guru and the hardware canucks are neck and neck.

Most other sites just don't do a good job of reviewing a PSU.

These are the 2 I would consider from your list kiwi.
PCP&C TurboCool Industrial series
PCP&C Silencer 610
Now the TurboCool is loud, and more suited for a factory floor, than the study. So that leaves the Silencer series.
I have both a 610 and a 750 (the red one, which looks nice in my Antec 900)
Regardless, the sale prices on the PCPower units put them at the top of my buy list.

p0isonapple

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
My suggestion would be at the PCP&C Silencer, really great reliable PSU, true to the already spoken word the Enermax is a bit over the top. Lol

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Yes im also the kind of nerdy indivdual who has a dream psu, and its the galaxy 1000w. Its got it all, sexy name, huge ouput and a shiny glitzy case. Good purchase in the long term, assuming it doesn't break down you'll never need to buy a psu again.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Get the PC P&C 750w it is more than you will ever need, but if you have your heart set on 1000w the Enermax Galaxy S is a good deal better than the Corsair counterpart, though the Corsair is a great PSU. The Enermax Galaxy S 1000w has been used with a full skull trail system that Intel says requires a 1400w power supply, but the Enermax handled without a single problem.

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004

Check out this site for PSU reviews:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/power

In my opinion the best on the net for power supply reviews. At the end of his power supply tutorial he lists all the sites on the net who do good reviews.

kiwi_chuck

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Okay, after reading all the latest comments and checking out hardwaresecrets.com/page/power for more reviews, I have my decision. I will be getting the Corsair, my second choice pick was the PCP&C 750 Watt Silencer, but it has shorter cables than typical. I will be using this in an Antec Twelve Hundred which has the bottom mounted PSU, so I want to have the longer cables. Therefore Corsair will be the power supply of choice for this summers first build, I still have 3 more to do for friends.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
That is false about the PC Power and cooling, the cables are not short. The early models had this problem, the new ones do not. The only short cable is the 4/8 pin CPU connection, and this fit perfectly well in my Antec 1200 and some larger cases. If you want to pretty it up and want a little bit more cable length PC Power and Cooling offers an extension, but this is truly unneeded. Another cool thing about the PC Power and Cooling is that each and EVERY power supply is tested before it leaves the factory and you even get the results in the box, my 750w is rated at being able to push 823w continuous instead of only 750w!

Status
Not open for further replies.