Running the OS off a SSD

Ilyafordictator

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I was just thinking, would it be a decent option to run vista 64 bit off a very small SSD to increase speed?

Would this make much of a difference, and how big would the SSD need to be to store windows?

rcpratt

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Most people that have SSDs use them only as boot/app drives. This allows for maximum speed in most everyday tasks. All documents and other files (music, videos, pictures, etc.) are generally stored on a larger capacity drive.

So yes, it's a decent option, and it makes a HUGE difference. Words cannot describe how happy I am with my Intel X25-M 80GB. Yes, it's expensive, but it is more than worth it. The value of this upgrade was bigger than my upgrade from an E7400 to an i7 machine. I'm not kidding. My Windows 7 desktop appears without the "Welcome" screen ever showing. On a fully loaded computer too, not just like 10 minutes after installing with no start-up programs there. Games load incredibly fast. Textures are loaded far before I ever see them. Programs launch INSTANTLY. I could click 5 different programs right after booting up and they'll all be ready within 2 seconds.

The capacity required depends on how many programs you have installed. I currently have about half of my 80GB SSD filled, and I use quite a few programs.