New ram resets bios?

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Ok so i have a an Asus motherboard that is being water cooled. It has worked fine for 2 and half years but that long in the computer world is a long time so i decided to upgrade some parts. The first part was the ram. My old ram sticks only combined to give me 1g of ram so i just got a $50 upgrade to 4gigs.
BUT after i put in my new ram my CPU fan error (that was previously set to ignore in bios) is now shutting the computer down 15 seconds after it is detected in the bootup process. I no longer have my old CPU fan since i have had no need for it and i built this machine over 2 years ago.
The only time i can get it to boot up is when i have just my old RAM in. If i put in my new ram it shuts off and since ihave 4 RAM slots if i put in the old RAM with the new RAM it still shuts off.
I've tried to plug another smaller fan that ihave into it but i guess it doesn't pull enough current. I even stacked that fan another fan and then the lights i have in my comp but it still doesn't get past the CPU fan error to let me change it to ignore in bios.
I didn't think bios or my CPU fan had anything to do with my RAM
Am i going to have to buy a new CPU fan just to get it working with the new RAM?

festerovic

Distinguished
Sounds like the new RAM is a different speed than the old ram. Check your settings, and maybe try a slower speed for the RAM.

The fan issue is probably nothing, most boards just have a sensor that says if one is connected or not, and will fail if it's not. The fact that the board works with the old RAM is telling, don't you think?

Answer these questions, and those here will have a better idea to help you:
Motherboard make/model
Old RAM, make and speed
New RAM, make and speed
Motherboard settings for FSB, CPU, RAM speed
Voltage settings for NB, CPU and RAM.

Some of these may be less relevant, but these are still important.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Your old RAMs run at the timing of 4-4-4-12, and your new Corsair are set to run at 5-5-5-18. If you have set the SPD to manual in the BIOS then you need to go back into the BIOS and make sure you change those settings to 5-5-5-18 from 4-4-4-12.

Also I have a question from you, did your remote control thing ever worked for you? I have the same motherboard.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The remote did work when i used it to put my comp in hibernate mode... but now i don't know where it is. I didn't really use it that much.

As for my problem, I can't get past the CPU fan error on the boot screen to get to bios. This only happens when i put in the new ram. So is there anything i can do before i start the comp with the new ram to even let me get to bios?

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Try putting your RAM to SPD mode instead of manual with old sticks then turn off your computer and put your new RAMs in and turn it on, and see what happens. Also try to unplug and unpower one of your CD-ROMs when you install the new RAMs and then turn it on and let me know what happens.

festerovic

Distinguished
Have you tried what gotrice suggested? Also, have you tried to manually set the memory speed (as in 533, 667, 800) down to the lowest your board will do?

Is your FSB overclocked?

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The board is set to handle 800 but i believe if his rams are good and they are running at correct voltage it shouldn't be a problem, unless he also have ram voltage set to something above the ram specs.

one problem is i have the same corsair ram and i wasn't able to run it at 4-4-4-12. kept getting checksum errors and the bios eventually reset itself. the only timings i was able to get this ram stable at is 5-5-5-18 which were the timings stamped on the ram itself. the only difference is i have a different mobo then him

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The bios was already set to SPD mode which is the one that automatically detects what speed my ram is. But then when i tried to put my new ram stick in it fried my power source again... so i have to wait a couple more days to get another one

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It could be your PSU thats why I told you to remove one of your CD-ROMs when put your new ram sticks in to see if you still get the same error.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
OK forget the RAM. New question. Is there anyway to get to bios without a CPU fan plugged in? This is my real problem. I can't change any settings on bios without being able to get there.

The old ram lets me override this. The new ram does not. The new ram shuts my comp down after 15 sec no matter what i do. This is what i'm trying to get past and need help with.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I don't know the answer to that question but what I would tell you to do is open up the motherboard manual and look for compatible rams with the board, it might be the rams are not compatible.

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
it's good that you figured to set the switch to ignore/disable in bios for the detection of the CPU fan.

Were you able to get past the boot screen where the error was present and get into the bios again?

I know I had same error message when I unplugged my CPU fan from its plug and plugged it straight into the power supply. But when the error screen came up it gave me a option to enter bios with a F1 or continue with boot up. The first time it took me a while to find the disable switch but it was there in the Hardware section also.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I know everyone keeps telling me to set it to ignore in bios, but i can't get to bios because the CPU fan error shuts my comp down before it lets me there. Thanx for the help but i decided to just send the RAM back and just deal with the slowness of my old RAM

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well colby thats why u go in bios with ur old ram sticks then you set the fan thing on ignore and put your new rams in and u won't get that error ne more.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
IT IS CURRENTLY SET TO IGNORE. When i put the new ram in, it turns off after the CPU fan error. Hence the thread name "New RAM resets bios?".... Believe me, i didn't think it would have anything to do with it either.