Are these temperatures okay?

G

I overclocked my Q9550 2.83 to 3.6. My 1st time overclocking. Everything seems to run great except i'm a bit worried about the temperatures. Using real temp the core temperatures idle in high 30s. Running a game has gotten me as high as 60 so far though I haven't played anything extensively yet. I ran the prime 95 torture test for 10 minutes. The maximum temperatures they hit and basically stayed at -1 or so was: 87 84 83 88

I read the guide on temperatures and I -think- I get the basic drift of it. I'm still not sure if these temperatures are too hot though considering the work load being put on the computer from the stress test? Thanks in advance.

p.s. My knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited so try to dumb it down for me. :)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Sed,

Your Mean Core temperature is 85.5c, which is ~ 10c too hot.

From the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 6: Scale

Scale 2: Quad
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping E0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W<--Q9550 E0
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping C1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W<--Q9550 C1
Q9400: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9300: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8200: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping G0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool

Tcase = CPU temperature
Tjunction = Core temperatures

Comp :sol:

G

Thanks a lot guys, I thought this was a bit too high. As far as cooling I don't have anything special for the motherboarboard/cpu. My rig came with 4 different fans though.. one on all sides. Looks like it has pretty good ventilation too. Between all the fans I can actually feel a breeze coming from the computer.

The motherboard is a Nvidia 790i Ultra. Which has a little stock fan. I would think there's more then enough cooling with all these fans When it's not overclocked the temps read along the lines of. the high 50's. Is that good for non over clocked? That still seems a bit hot too me for non OC'd. Since I overclocked my Radeon HD 4870x2 I increased the fan speed on it to 40% and that actually runs cooler then it did non clocked. The thing stays icy cold. It idles at around 27c and really doesn't go much higher.. most i've seen was like 45c I think. This leads me to believe the cooling I have is pretty good?

I've tried overclocking as low as 3.2ghz and the temps still seem kinda high. (High 70's.) What can I do to get these temps lower? I've tried to lower the voltage but I get errors on 1 to 2 workers usually in Prime95. But if I leave the voltages on auto everything works fine no matter what I set the clock to aside from too much heat. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just not have enough cooling for it? Or is there maybe a problem with the motherboard fan? Thanks again, like I said i'm really new to this stuff so I really apreciate any and all help.

G

Alright, bit of an update: so I clocked it back up and ran prime 95 with the case open. The computer seems ice cold from everything I can tell. The heat sink is cold to the touch. The mother board seems cold. The fans all seem strong. Not to mention it's 58 degrees in the room. (I have a thing against heating.) Is it possible the heat sink isn't working somehow? Or i'm getting false temps? Anything I can physically touch in specific to let me determine if it's hot or not? Thanks :D