My new ram isn't working, help!

ellyo414

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Just got my Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 Cl 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory from DirectCanada. I'm running it on an Asus M2N-E and a Nspire 600W PSU. I have a small problem. It starts up fine, saying I have 2GB installed and other specs correct. I run CPUZ and it says this

DRAM Frequency: 408MHZ
FSB:DRAM: CPU/7
CAS# Latency: 5.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5.0 Clocks
RAS# Precharge: 5.0 Clocks
Cycle Time: 15 Clocks

The DRAM is supposed to be 800MHZ and latency timing is supposed to be 4-4-4-12. I went to the BIOS and switched everything to 4-4-4-12. I started it up and it ran fine until it loaded the whole computer. I opened one program then bam. Bluescreen of Death.

Someone please help me. I want to get what I payed for.

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
There are a few reasons, at 408Mhz your ram is slightly overclocked(need to double what cpu z shows),you cant just go into bios and change timings without looking at cpu z spd tab and finding out what voltage you need for 4 4 4 12, The voltage needs to be put in manually and you need to set the ram frequency to the lowest divider, The ram may state that it runs at the lower timings but you have to find out what voltage is needed to run them, Look in cpu z, look under SPD tab and post back what it says.Also post whether your rig is overclocked.

cheers

Mondoman

Splendid
First, clear the CMOS (according to the MB manual) so the timings go back to default. Next, start up the computer and go into the BIOS. On one of the screens there there should be a "DIMM voltage" or "RAM voltage" or similar setting. Set it to the specific voltage specified by your RAM's manufacturer for your specific RAM model number, then save the BIOS settings and turn off computer. Restart the computer, go into BIOS again, and set the RAM timings to the spec for your RAM model number.

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Ive just googled it, sorry chap you wont be running the ram at lower timings due to the 1.95v limit. Thats a bit of a pain but not your memories fault, If you can buy a better mobo that supports up to at least 2.3v.
Preferably Asus, Preferably C2D.

cheers

Mondoman

Splendid
el, unfortunately, you've fallen for the current misleading advertising by just about all memory manufacturers. They know that only RAM that works at 1.8-1.9V meets the DDR2 standard, but they also know they will get more money by selling RAM with faster specs. The fact that the specs require overclocking just seems to get lost in the fine print. The manufacturers won't change this sleazy practice until they get pushback from the buying public.

I'd return your modules for a refund, or for replacement with modules that will run at 4-4-4 timings under standard DDR2 voltages.

TRENDING THREADS