Processor: AMD Dual Core A4 4300M-2.5Ghz,4MB Cache, Turbo Boost upto 2.8Ghz
Chipset: AMD A70M
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Memory Upgradeable: Up to 8 GB
Hard Disk: 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Operating System: Windows 8
Graphic Processor: 1 GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7640G/7670M Dual GPU

This laptop costs me Rs. 29500.

According to me, advantages of this laptop over Samsung 3 series NP305E5Z-S01IN are:-
- Better processor.
- Higher graphic card.
- Installed genuine Windows 8.
- Also, HP is more trust worthy than Samsung.

Basically, I will be working on CATIA and other CAD softwares on this laptop. They require higher CPU usage and better graphics. I won't play games on it. I will use it for office purpose, watching movies, internet surfing, etc.

Will it be able to run softwares like CATIA, ANSYS, UGX ? I will be using these softwares on beginner level, not professional. But I need atleast 3 GB RAM and 1 GB graphics card.

But, the thing that's bothering is both the laptops have AMD processors. I've gone through reviews and comparison of AMD and Intel processors. Although, AMD processors are cheaper and have better graphics than Intel. Durability and processing speed of Intel processors are better.
Also, the shop keepers are suggesting me not to go for AMD because its not reliable and durable. They said "Don't blame us if you face any problem in future."

I am an Indian. Does it have to do anything with inferior quality of product OR difference in product performance due to variable weather condition in our country?

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I can't speak to any weather related issues in India, so I can't help you there.

The reliability of AMD processors I can talk about. I've never had a reliability issue with AMD processors, I've used them for many, many years and never had one fail. Most likely the shop keepers are trying to steer you towards the more expensive Intel based chips.

However, Intel processors are MUCH better at heavy number crunching than AMD chips on average. If the CAD programs you want to use are heavily multi-threaded (will use multiple CPU cores), the AMD chips will do better. It will be a performance vs. cost choice for you.

sarthaksia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks a lot.

Can you please state some cons of AMD processor?

Also, please suggestion some precautions that should be taken to improve performance and durability of AMD processors.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

AMD processors don't perform as well in single threaded applications as Intel prcessors. Unfortunately, most applications are single threaded. The best AMD chips struggle to match even Intel i3s.

I don't personally overclock, but some of the AMD chips, like Black Edition Phenom IIs, overclock very nicely and that can really improve their performance, though I'm not really sure this applies to a laptop. Probably not. The A4 APU is an OK chip, but really nothing special, just try to avoid running too many things at once to keep the load down.

As I said, I've never had a durability issue with AMD chips (I've used some for years without issue), just make sure they don't overheat. The only real precaution I can tell you to take is to make sure the laptop is well ventilated, especially around the bottom.