BIOS Sees HD's but Vista install wont... dead HD?

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Hand Drive: Maxtor
DiamondMax 10
Model: 6L100P0
100GB PATA133 HDD

MoBo: ASUS
P5WD2-E

-----------------------------

First the BIOS was seeing this HD fine and as 100gb

go to install vista Ultima on it, and the HD wont show up in the list of where to install Vista

BIOS can sometimes see this HD and sometimes cant same with vista install, i got to thinking maby its my mobo or bios or something

I took a WesternDigital WD300 HD from an old dell out, this HD works fine 100% of time, i put it in my gaming rig and set it as master.

BIOS wouldn't see this HD on ANY settings

RAID-E
RAID-D
ACHI-D
ACHI-E
IDE-D
IDE-C-SATA/PATA
IDE-C-SATA
IDE-C-PATA
IDE-E-SATA/PATA
IDE-ESATA
IDE-PATA

Not one setting made it so biso could see this HD, I put the Maxtor back in when it was set to IDE-E-PATA and it saw it as 3rd Master, restarted and now it cant find it....

HELP!!!!!!! New gaming rig had it for like 3 days now cant figure this out =-(!!

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Have you tried running "Ultima's" disk management app? Press Windows Key + R, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter. Do the disks appear there?

Also, you might be confusing Windows Vista Ultimate with Ultima, that long running adventure fantasy video game series. I'm just saying. :lol:

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Yesh ther were set right, the issue i has was the vista dvd jsut stops middle of a process for about 3-4 misn at a time. If i let it sit there ti eventully starts up again... got it rocking got to 64% of unzipping files and it hard froze =-(, bout to try again

The West Degi HD can still not be formated at all its odd =-(

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
lol TonCharr28 :p but coem on Vista is a 1337 rpg :p

Anyways when can I get to the disk management app?

"Have you tried running "Ultima's" disk management app? Press Windows Key + R, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter"

I've run it from start-run-compmgmt.msc when i had t HD in my old dell to format it. It goes through the format fine as NTFS default allocation size, and comes out clean. Im downloading MaxBlaster as the HD company recommends it over windows disk management....

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Little more info idk if it will help, and i typed it wrong in first msg lol:

Hand Drive: Maxtor
DiamondMax 10
Model: 6L100P0
100GB PATA133 HDD

MoBo: ASUS
P5WD2-E

running the Vista DvD from an external Memorex DVD Drive.

TRENDING THREADS