Thermal Monitor TM2

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I agree. Disabling TM2 is just asking for a new $200 keychain.

Someone should tell the author what TM2 does as opposed to EIST and C1E.

randomizer

Champion
This article might let you draw your own conclusions:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/intel-thermal-features/index.html

EDIT: From how I read the article, TM2 works essentially the same as EIST, except it is triggered by excessively high temperatures. Interestingly, the way they worded the article makes it sound (to me) like both TM2 and EIST don't actually drop the multiplier, but instead throttles the CPU as though the multiplier had dropped to the minimum.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^IIRC from my November research it's something like this.
EIST and C1E adjust voltage and frequencies.

TM1 stops the CPU (ie no clock is generated so the CPU does not perform state switches and thus has a much lower thermal output) for a period of time and then resumes. This causes stuttering and erratic mouse movement ...

TM2 is an "upgrade" for TM1 that reduces the intervals and creates a more user responsive system. I'm not sure it improves the thermal situation.

From the article posted by randomizer
...It's a non-standard CPU mode to enable or disable both TM1 and TM2 at the same time, thus it's not recommended by the manufacturer. ...
I wonder if that means that if you disable TM2 you enable TM1.

Gigabyte's manual says it reduces the frequency when overheating. I don't know about the rest of you but I REALLY DON'T want to disable that when I'm testing my overclocks. :D

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^That's almost like saying "There's always a fire extinguisher in case I catch fire while playing with petrol and matches" or "There's always the airbag in case I crash my car into a tree while going too fast for my own good".

I'm not sure how "safe" THERMTRIP is but the risk of damage to the chip is far greater. Ergo ... use TMx.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
So there is agreement that disabling TM2 has no bearing on overclocking and is not very smart, or should I say is very stupid.

I want my CPU to shut down, uh er drop the multi, on PROCHOT#. THERMTRIP is probably just before avalanche breakdown.

Documentation regarding this is hard to find on Intel's website. I found some information, but it was not very in depth.

This looks like a pretty good explanation. The Intel links are dead.

And CompuTronix mentions it in his Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide, which was the impetus for the question in the above link.

I'm pretty sure what Comp is saying is you may be screwed anyway based on Tcase. Maybe he will pop in for clarification. In either case disabling TM2 is unnecessary and a bad idea.

If temperatures increase beyond Hot Scale, then ~ 5c below Tjunction Max, Throttling is activated. The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) are used to trigger Intel`s TM1 and TM2 technologies for frequency, multiplier and Vcore Throttling within individual Cores. If Core temperatures increase further to Tjunction Max, then Shutdown occurs. Since Tcase indicates CPU Die temperature only, it is not used for Throttle or Shutdown activation, however, as Tcase Max will be exceeded before Tjunction Max is reached, Tcase Max is always the limiting thermal specification.