Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Clean Install
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2008 5:32:11 PM

Hi all, I checked, and I'm not sure if any thread like this has already been made. Anyway, I'm planing on getting an HD 3870 soon. And I plan to put it in a system that has/had an Geforce 8800GTS already in it. What would be the best way to go about changing the drivers?

1) should I uninstall the geforce driver, then try to install the catalyst driver?

2) should I make a clean install of windows, and install the catalyst driver?

Any help/thoughts on this would be great. I'm kinda leaning towards the clean install, but I'm not sure.

More about : changing drivers nvidia ati 3870

May 8, 2008 5:54:12 PM

What kind of GTS do you have in your system ? If it's a G80, it's on par with the HD3870 (320MB version slightly under, 640 MD slightly over). If it's the G92, this one is far superior to the HD3870.

Anyway it's your choice. To uninstall, I'll suggest you a uninstaller soft (I'm using Your Uninstaller) to do a clean job because it remove all registry remaining after a normal uninstall of a sofware.

A clean install of windows takes more time, try to uninstall first !
May 8, 2008 6:12:25 PM

sprucebr1 said:
Hi all, I checked, and I'm not sure if any thread like this has already been made. Anyway, I'm planing on getting an HD 3870 soon. And I plan to put it in a system that has/had an Geforce 8800GTS already in it. What would be the best way to go about changing the drivers?

1) should I uninstall the geforce driver, then try to install the catalyst driver?

2) should I make a clean install of windows, and install the catalyst driver?

Any help/thoughts on this would be great. I'm kinda leaning towards the clean install, but I'm not sure.

Some people suggest drivercleaner and similar utitlities, but really if you uninstall the Nvidia in the Control Panel, shut down, replace the video card with the 3870, boot, then after the ATI is recognized as a VGA card install the Catalyst suite, you should be good to go. I've switched back and forth between an ATI and Nvidia card constantly and never had any problems. No a clean install of windows is REALLY not necessary!

Related resources
May 8, 2008 6:18:51 PM

Uninstall Nvidia drivers before removing Gforce card.
Through controle panel works fine.
Then install ATI Card and CCC
May 8, 2008 6:30:48 PM

Thanks for the help. Yeah, My 8800GTS 320 is G80, so thats kinda why I thought this would be a good upgrade. Price wise I thought this would be a good choice, though I know the 8800GT is probably the better card. But anyway, thanks again.
!