which hardware would decrease "mem usage"

colore

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
hello

which components (CPU, memory, hard disk, etc) and which specific characteristics of those (FSB, memory frequency, memory latency, hard disk speed, etc) would help me deal with "mem usage" that appears on task manager and is extremely increased by some programs (around 400,000K)?

my already 2GB of memory and4GB page file don't do much

thanks

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Also, remember that Windows will cache as many disk files as possible in memory, so you'll typically see it all in use unless you have a ton of it. It's even dumb enough to swap out programs you're using in order to cache disk files that you'll never touch again...

There are some memory optiomizer software packages. Not sure how effective they are.
Your hard disk can cache memory as virtual memory on a hard disk. It will be faster if it is on a dedicated old spare hard disk you have.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you're maxing out 2gb of RAM, you ought to see what you're running that's using so much memory. You could well be chock-full-o-malware, that would be my first thought.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
go to your start button and choose run and type "msconfig" no quotations. Look at all your startup items. If your system is optimized and clean it should be a fairly short list of around 5. All systems are different but for a clean fast one ten or less is good. If you have tons of stuff loading and starting up on windows boot you need to axe them out. Every program you install these days seems to think it should start up with windows. Most programs don't need to. Quicktime, Acrobat, google, yahoo and media players are terrible about this. I haven't found a single one that ever actually needed to start on windows boot.

If you want to get even more in depth do some research on what services are running and starting up on boot up that you can stop and set to manual. Thats where I would start because you have enough memory. Buying extra memory won't solve your problem if this is what is happening.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The answer is NONE.

If you were running 4GB of Memory on a 32bit OS, then there would be some hardware choices that could effect the total amount of memory used since in general 3.2-3.5GB can be used depending on hardware.

TRENDING THREADS