First overclock, help please

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Ok first thing I am wondering. If I out to much on the CPU and it decides its going to fail or blow, can it damage other componets on my PC?

If thats safe, then next question. I have a Pentium D 3.4ghz dual core, motherboard that supports single channel ram, up to 667 (800mhz OC i think) with 800mhz single channel ram. Multiplier is 17. I am getting a new mobo that supports dual channel.

I want to OC my CPU (its my first so if I blow up the pentium I won't be THAT mad) the core speed is 200mhz, if figured if I can get it to 333mhz, then I can put a nice gaming stick of 667mhz RAM in it and I should see much improvement.

Is that possible? Am I straining the pentium to much? And when I do this, what do I need to change with the multiplier for the clock? Do I need to equally do the same for voltage? Anything I need to know before diving in?

Thanks my hands are in the people with Tomshardware. I trust you guys so hopefully I can pull this off with your help/feedback. If successful, I will also keep it posted so everyone can know just how tough these pentiums are.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have never OC'd a Pentium D but first what i would suggest you is to check your core temperatures, and also find out whats ur vcore is by default for the processor you own. Then from there you can try other stuff because you don't want to use some crappy HS which will cause your processor to overheat and burn it self.

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Hmm, actually I don't know if Pentium D's multipliers can be unlocked... Does that mean I can't OC it? I still don't understand though. If I can OC this puppy, I just change the multiplier to get what FSB I want? I don't have to change anything with it? Seem's to simple, I had picked up an understanding before that the multiplier changes the FSB and something else. I needed to change both or there would be problems.

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Seems to me you need to read some. There are plenty of posts on overclocking that can get you to the point you understand what your doing.
And since every chip and every overclock is going to be different, folks can only give you a understanding of how to do something, but you need to take the iniative (sp) to read and understand what your doing first.

Also you might want to read though all the posts on here where other folks like yourself have posted "I don't know what I'm doing-Will someone thell me what to do" posts and see what the responces were.

good luck

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Hmm yeah I will try that, I have been reading so much I get headaches now. I think it just feels easier to me, to actually ask the exact question(s) I want in hopes for those exact answers. I am being a bit greedy though, not utilizing the other threads. I think I need to write the steps down, cause I have been reviewing for a month now. I am just scared I will blow something up.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well, you can just raise your FSB instead of touching your multiplier at all, unless you are looking to OC your processor to run at a certain speed that you know and want the most out of your ram then you would want to lower your multiplier to get that extra OC out. I could be a little bit wrong.

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
@ gotrice - My Core voltage is about 1.25v CPUz had it moving roughly in that area.

Heh... I started fooling with it last night, thing's got a bit dark and my forehead was hot. I stopped. I was so scared I was going to mess it up. I did learn however that my ram is only running at 667mhz, DDR2 single channel. Does that mean it CAN'T be pushed to 800mhz if the board doesn't support it, or would that be considered OCing the RAM?

I am going to check the OC thread real quick, I am going to see if it can answer my question.

You will not be able to reach 333 MHz. :( Pentium D's are not very good OC'ers. I would be surpised if you can reach 4 GHz.

Most CPU's have a locked multiplier (exceptions - AMD Black Editions and Intel Extreme Editions) so the usual way to OC is by increasing the FSB frequency.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You can always lower your ram back to the ram spec settings if you want as you raise the fsb go back to the ram menu to make sure the ram is not too much overclocked. Plus if you really wanna OC your RAMs they gotta be some solid rams. I would rather suggest you to get a core2duo for like 60 bucks from ebay or something lol. If your mobotherd supports it that way you won't need to go through OCing your processor and risk damaging any components plus it will be way faster than a Pentium D on stock settings.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
All you need to remember with overclocking is that FSB x Multiplier = Clock. You also need to adjust the voltages accordingly. Though RAM does overclock with the processor, you can set it back to stock settings but you cannot keep it from going up when you reset the multiplier (So write down the RAM settings.) As far as a new motherboard is concerned, I would get one that supports dual channel 1600mhz. You will not be able to buy RAM at 1200mhz frequency on the cheap but if your RAM is sufficiently cooled, you could buy 800mhz modules and overclock them to save money. Also be sure it is compatabile with LGA775 processors. Yes the new Core i7 is awesome but it takes a lot of new, more expensive hardware. One last thing to note in mobo chhosing is max FSB capatabilities. I would prefer 1333mhz FSB since your overclocking. Hope all this helps.

Alex

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Ok just got a MoBo and RAM. Now I didn't get the CPU, I can downclock this 800mhz ddr2 ram to 400mhz (200 core) to match my processor correct? Will this improve speed? Or since it double the clock as it is, would it improve speed to have it stay at 800mhz (400 core for ram)?

TRENDING THREADS