HDMI VS DVI to HDMI dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripsr4kids

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Can someone please explain to me ( a lamen) the advantage of onboard hdmi vs dvi to hdmi. Is the video quality/resolution any better on a video card with built in hdmi?

HDMI is basically DVI video w/ audio through in the same cable but difference connector. That is why you can have a simple little DVI to HMDI adapter. The only advantage of HMDI onboard would be for Home Theater PC's or if your monitor has an HDMI connector and you dont want to worry about getting an adapter or DVI --> HMDI cable. Watch out for some cards as only certain ones actually carry audio through the HDMI port.

I've actually hear of people having issues with their HMDI video, especially with VISTA 64bit. My buddy can not get his to work, something to do with media rights protection or something.

I like to stick with DVI unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise. I have a DVI --> HMDI cable so I can hook my PC to my LCD tv when im feeling frisky but I still have to unplug and replug to get it working.

Lamens terms. There is no quality difference in video between HMDI and DVI

The other thing is onboard/built-in HDMI can support high resolution audio, whereas DVI-Hdmi is audio limited to 5.1 DD/DTS/2chLPCM as maximums.

Going forward some features will only be on HDMI, like deep colour and such are only supported on HDMI. DVI is 8 & 10 bit colour, deep colour includes 12bit and the option for more.

Eas way to compare is intergrated HDMI could do 1.3 and higher, DVI-HDMI is limited in a similar fashio to what HDMI 1.2 is.

Short term not much difference between the two for video.

Status
Not open for further replies.