itsthehombre

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I built my system about a year ago and have had several problems with it the last couple of months. I'm not sure what type of problem I have because it seems like I'm dealing with a CPU problem and a GPU problem.

About three months ago while watching videos on hulu.com, my system would lock up after about 30 or 40 minutes and upon restart I would getting an overclocking warning. I haven't overclocked the cpu. I wrote the exact warning down some where but lost it. My solution at the time was to avoid that website because I didn't have time to confront the problem. I also started experiencing lockups while playing CS:S but did not receive an overclocking warning message on reboot.

Finally, a couple of days ago I was running the machine and every seemed to be working fine when all of the sudden the monitor showed "No Signal" and the fans started running really fast. I've restarted several times and have had the same thing happen.

I'm not sure if these problems are actually related but I'm hoping that some feedback can at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

My setup:

MB BIOSTAR TForce965PT 775
CASE COOLERMAS|CAC-T05-WW BK/SL RT
VGA XFX PVT71PUDP3 7900GS 256MB R
PSU FSP|AX450-PN 450W RTL
CPU INTEL|C2D E6300 1.86G 775 2M R
MEM 1G|G.SK 240P F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ
HD 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3250620AS
DVD_BURN NEC|7170A-0B RAM

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Sounds like a board issue to me...

Some boards have problematic capacitors / regulators supplying the voltage to the chip / chipset..

Try the rest above but it sounds like a new board im afraid..

itsthehombre

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Alright, it looks like it is the motherboard. This would be the second time I've had a problem with this board, the first one was DOA, so does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement that would work with my components? I won't be overclocking and I'm obviously looking for a board with a reliable reputation. I'd prefer to spend less than $150.

edit: ^You beat me to it ;)

Ok, for less than $150 you should be all set with a P35-DS3L (new version is EP-35-DS3L, older vanilla no DynamicEnergy version is $110, the EP35-DS3L will be a P35-DS3L as long as you don't use the Energy saver software. see my guide for more info)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337&Tpk=EP-35%2bDS3L
$90

For OCing see on DS3L:
GUIDE: Overclocking On P35-DS3L

I too have used BIOSTAR motherboards in the past and after 3 of them died (only bought 3 actually) I have switched to ASUS and GIGABYTE and have yet to have either manufacture boards die on me.

TRENDING THREADS