Sign in with
Your question

After some advice on a board

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2008 9:57:02 AM

Hi guys,

I've got most of the parts for a PC I've been building for the last month or so and the only piecse I'm lacking now are the motherboard, Processor and the RAM. I know that I want a Q6600 and 4gigs of OCZ RAM, so what I need to do is find board which is compatible with these bits of hardware:

Q6600
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB)
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
Corsair TX 650W
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit

I've tried the PC builder someone linked somewhere else but I just wondered if you guys had any advice on which would be best if i don't intend to go SLI (I know crossfire boards will support 1x nvidia card).

I've heard good things about gigabyte boards, and I'm keen on getting a GOOD motherboard, as its core to being futureproof.

I'll be using the PC for gaming, NO OVERCLOCKING and I want it to last for a few years, upgrading parts as I see fit, but I'd want the board to last.

Any advice much appreciated

More about : advice board

June 20, 2008 10:33:18 AM

There are plenty of good boards out there. It really depends on what you want to spend and what extras you need. Since you won't sli, go with an Intel chipset. Also, since you won't OC and you will only game on that PC, why getting the q6600?? The newer 8400 will be faster under gaming.
June 20, 2008 1:43:29 PM

Well I havent seen anything about a 8400 anywhere, is that dual or quad?

I've got about £200 for the motherboard, but saying ¨it depends¨ doens't really help me, i need a good one.

I wont only be gaming - I'm doing a media degree in september so it will be handling large image/movie files if that makes a difference?

EDIT: Nevermind I've just seen that the e8400 is a dual core 3.0ghz, and i still want a q6600. Motherboard info please :p 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 2:20:15 PM

Personally I am looking to upgrade my motherboard (P5W DH Deluxe) to a P45 motherboard. I have seen a few reviews and they usually have pretty good things to say, not the least of which is they run pretty cool. I think you may be able to find ASUS's P5Q variants around. That's the one I am presently looking at.
June 20, 2008 2:44:12 PM

Thanks aevm, assuming an X48 ship - can I ask why the GA-X48-DS5 instead of the GA-X48-DQ6 though?

And whats the difference between a P45 and an X48?
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 4:04:24 PM

The DQ6 is just too expensive for me, nothing wrong with it apart from that :)  If you have the cash and like the features go for it, why not.

P45 vs X48:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index.html

Edit: form that article, my impression is that P45 is just fine for a single video card like the HD 4850. But, if you use two of them, the PCI slots work at only x8 on the P45 and that hurts performance a lot at high resolutions. Mind you, high resolutions are why you'd use two cards anyway. If you're getting an nVidia card you won't use Crossfire anyway so again P45 is good enough.
June 20, 2008 4:58:32 PM

I think I'd be happier with an X48 board. Personal preference, I'm wierd like that.

Someone else I've just been talking to has recommended the DK X48-T2R and tbh I'm just getting anoyed its so confusing :p  There don't seem to be any major differences.

If I ever decided to go SLI it would mean getting a new board I know, but i'm more likely to just get a better card to be honest.
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 5:04:19 PM

That's smart IMO. Using two or more cards means you'll find more driver bugs, who wants that...

The X48-T2R is made by DFI. That company makes good stuff, in general, but it's mostly aimed at overclockers. You're probably better off with one of the two big manufacturers, Asus and Gigabyte.
June 20, 2008 5:11:00 PM

Thats true, this guy does overclock, but he knows I don't intend to. To be honest the only reason I'm not overclocking is because I know nothing about it. I guess once I've got the system up and running theres a possibility i might start fiddling around, but meh.

I guess it's between the DK X48-T2R and the GA-X48-DS5 :) 
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 5:16:55 PM

Go ahead and read some reviews now. Google rocks for finding reviews.

I assume both have all the features you will ever need - they're very high-end stuff after all.

When you look through reviews, pay attention to which CPU coolers they use. You should get one too if you overclock. Some of the best are Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (with a Scythe SFF21F or similar fan), Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Tuniq Tower. High-end coolers like these are huge, and sometimes they won't fit on high-end MBs because those have their own cooling pipes. You need to find a pair that works well together.

a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 5:54:57 PM

I am very happy with the ASUS Rampage Fromula with the X48 Chipset. I have my X3350(Q9450) running at 3.6 (450X8) with 8 Gig of OCZ RAM.

The Rampage Formula has alot of overclocking options in the BIOS. Tons of RAM timings, lots of voltage options, and you can set the FBS strap for the RAM.

The Northbridge runs Hot, but if you change the thermal compound before you start it up it will come off easy, If you do it after you run the board the stuff ASUS uses will be hard to remove.

The X48 is a great chipset and ASUS make great boards.

1Haplo
June 20, 2008 5:56:54 PM

Yeah will do thanks. I've got a Zalman on my desk at the moment, but I might get a tuniq tower instead. Even without overclocking I'm going to be using a cooler. I like to keep my options open.

One more nooby thing - I'm looking at the LT X48-T2R at the moment (one step up from the DX) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB... and it says "- Supports DDR2 667/800 MHz". Now I know I need some 8500 memory if I'm going to be overclocking, and I'm looking at getting some OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 (OCZ2RPR10664GK). Will that work? Probably a stupid question but the board doesn't say it supports 1066mhz ram
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 6:40:05 PM

Sounds risky. They're usually very careful to claim 1066 or higher if they can, because it improves sales. It might still work, but it's not guaranteed.
June 20, 2008 8:03:36 PM

Gah this is getting annoying. I thought I had the perfect board but none of the Lanparty DFI boards support over 800mhz ram. Looks like its now between the Asus Rampage Formula and the GA-X48-DS5.
June 20, 2008 8:19:01 PM

It won't let me edit my last post, but the UT version at £200 supports it. either way it'll be one of the other two
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2008 8:20:44 PM

LOL, of course. The MB is the hardest thing to pick, IMO, so many things depend on it later. Don't rush it.

I'd buy either of those two MBs, by the way. OK, I'd prefer the Gigabyte because it has 8 SATA ports instead of 6, and I'm using 7 right now, but you probably don't care about that. With 1TB disks on the market already and 2TB promised for next year, 5 HDD and a burner should be enough for anybody.

The Rampage comes with a game (STALKER), at least at Newegg :) 

June 20, 2008 8:33:37 PM

Its hard to pick one yeah, especially when you've got most of the parts already and know exactly what you want, you just have to find a baord that fits the bill ;) 

I'll do some more reading on those last two I mentioned. Thank you for all the help! I'll be in touch if and when I get it working :) 
June 20, 2008 9:15:42 PM

Chosen a Rampage Formula board, gotta get a new cooler though as I've read the Zalman 9500a doesn't fit it ;)  Tuniq tower here i come
!