9800 gx2 on AMD cpu

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hi there, i'm running an amd based system with a phenom processor, I currently use an 8800 GT from evga and was considering doing a step-up to a 9800 gx2

the question is: has anyone benched or does anyone have a url to a bench for a 9800 gx2 on a phenom processor in applications like crysis/world in conflict with coolnquiet disabled.

I have 35 days left on my step-up so i got a lot of time left to decide, but i was hoping to get an idea before I did. I searched around a lot but was unable to find any information on the topic.

Thanks in advance!

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I think the phenom might bottleneck the 9800GX2, in the recent article toms did about hybrid SLI, they used a phenom 8750 as the CPU and it bottlenecked the GX2 severely. Theres also not a huge performance gap between the 8750, most games dont use more than 2 cores.

How much would it cost you? Overclocking your phenom or getting the next gen 45nm (many months out) might lessen the bottleneck or eliminate it. I would definitely consider getting the GX2 as a future proofing measure, depending on cost of course.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
350$ ish to do a step up

yea, I was basically thinking the same thing; getting a 9800 gx2 until 2009 - i'll check the hybrid sli benchmarks, thanks for the heads up I had forgotten about that article.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I'd say go for it if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket. Also try and OC a little more if you can, once you get past a certain point your CPU shouldnt bottleneck anymore, like the above posters said.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
well, when someone says "it bottlenecks" one or the other, doesn't that just mean that "you could get more performance if x part or y part was better"?

I guess at the end of the day it'll certainly be playable - my games are playable as is on phenom and 8800 GT, but I was more looking at least a little down the road given that I only have 30ish days of step-up left on my evga service.

Like okay, let me put it this way - if I can get adequate minimum performance out of a 9800 gx2 on my 2.3 phenom; I can probably consider a platform upgrade down the road to support the video card - however, if people believe that the 9800 gx2 is going to become a rapidly dated card (as in outdated by the end of 2008), then I would quantify that as being "not worth buying"

I've seen some great performance numbers from the 9800 gx2 review this site did on and intel platform and thats why I was looking for something with an AMD bench for curiousity sake

Anyways, I guess i'm still up for debate on the worth of a 9800 gx2; I know people talk price peformance; thats why I got an 8800 GT to begin with - but 350$ for a step up to a 9800 gx2 is likely a better price/performance rate than buying the next 600$ video card right. My main concern though is whether the 9800 gx2 is plateaued or if it is even limited by current intel cpus in a single card config - as in it has more growing room even now?

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
9800GX2 will be quite a bit faster than your 8800gt even if you are using a phenom.

Almost everything in the graphics world is rapidly dated. We don't know what nvidia's next gen cards are going to be or when they are going to come, but I do think the 9800gx2 will last since more and more games are also being developed for the 360 and PS3 meaning that those games aren't looking to push high-end PC hardware.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

As a GX2 owner myself, I would say to wait for the 9900GTX launch, but seeing as how your step up ends before that launch (most likely) I say go for it. However, plan on your next upgrade being your CPU. It really is a shame that AMD processors cannot keep up with the highest video card on the market, I would bet that 98% of GX2 owners have an Intel Proc. so you would be one of the few on the AMD side (bragging rights?) Well have fun w/ whatever you do - Annisman

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
yea i suppose thats a granted huh :x

I was thinking too, in 6 months time a 9800 gx2 for a quad sli might be relatively affordable too; so thats another option

I'd love to see a quad sli benchmark, i'm gonna go google that now actually.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Dude when you look at those benches...realize that there is a lot of disparity between them. Some sites have excellent Quad reviews, others show DROPS in performance for almost every app. run. so judge wisely. Also, why do you have an AMD platform if you are looking and willing to buy 2X9800GX2 ? It seems like you want top of the line, so why are you beating around the bush w/ AMD just wondering. Also, remember that Quad SLI can only be run on Vista, generates much heat (like a nuclear power plant) and costs alot.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
If i did a quad sli it would be on a platform change and it would be in 6 months as there is nothing out on the market for pc games that is really going to take advantage of quad sli at this current juncture.

By the end of this year however, there very well might be games designed to handle quad gpus better - you never know; so its a worthwhile point of interest.

edit: i googled an anandtech 9800gx2 quad sli review that actually kinda exacerbated that point that q-sli isn't doing games much justice now :S