Reboot and select proper boot device

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Boot
  • Devices
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2009 10:27:40 PM

The other day my home-built system's overclocking failed i.e. on restart, it said, 'Overclock Failed!' etc.
So I set it back to default settings, and then it started up, a little slower, but fine. Played Prototype for a while then shut it all down.
Next morning, on startup I get, 'Reboot and select proper boot device' etc. I've reset all the BIOS settings, made sure the HD is the primary boot device, turned off all the other boot devices, and nothing. Even selected the HD as the boot device directly.
I booted from my vista DVD and tried to repair, except that there is no operating system for me to select... its disappeared! So I can't repair, it only wants to do a clean install.
Something which has sprung to mind is that I used to have a partition with linux installed on it, which changed my master boot to use GRUB, I think. Anyway I didn't use it and wanted the space back so I deleted it and reset my master boot record using the vista DVD, typed something like 'FixMbr' into the command prompt, and then everything was fine.
Maybe thats come undone somehow, but I have no way of fixing it again, that I know of.

Hopefully my hard-drive's not completely broken =(

Here are my system specifications;

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache
ASUS Maximus Formula Republic of Gamers iX38 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Hi-Power Black 900W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATA
2x Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.9V
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM
2x Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Extra Drives: 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM
2x Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 7200RPM SATAII/300 16MB Cache Hard Drive - OEM

Used to have the processor overclocked to about 4GHz, definitely stable for months and months, had tested for days with multiple primes etc.

Bought the main HD with the Operating system on back in August of 2008.

Hopefully I've included enough detail, thanks for reading my post and I am very gratefully for any help or suggestions.

Cheers, Charlie.

More about : reboot select proper boot device

a b G Storage
July 8, 2009 6:12:12 AM

Did you add/remove any of those (5?) HDDs? Or switch which SATA port they were on? If that was the case, you need to switch everything back to exactly how it was. It's possible you have a bad drive that holds the boot information, but windows is still fine(they could be on seperate disks). Definitely possible that OCing may have corrupted the HDD, but not necessarily the windows drive.

Were all the drives installed when you installed windows?
m
l
July 8, 2009 7:21:14 AM

festerovic said:
Did you add/remove any of those (5?) HDDs? Or switch which SATA port they were on? If that was the case, you need to switch everything back to exactly how it was. It's possible you have a bad drive that holds the boot information, but windows is still fine(they could be on seperate disks). Definitely possible that OCing may have corrupted the HDD, but not necessarily the windows drive.

Were all the drives installed when you installed windows?

I hadn't changed any of my drives around before the OC fail. I added most of the other drives after installing windows, definitely the other samsungs, and the last one I installed was back in April this year. When I reset the master boot record I'm sure there was a couple of other drives installed. In the BIOS though all my drives are still visible.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 8, 2009 7:38:29 PM

It may be something as simple as you're booting off the wrong drive. Since you have 5, unplug all but the one that you want to boot off of. Then make sure it's the first boot device. If it's still giving an error at that point, then you would want to do the windows repair.
m
l
July 8, 2009 10:53:00 PM

Have managed to get it to boot now. It appears that when I reset the BIOS after the OC fail, the hard disk drive priority order got changed. By unplugging all my drives and figuring out which one had my OS on it, I then managed to make it the first priority. I hadn't noticed this before cause there are two other drives which are named the same as the main drive!
Anyway, up and running.
Strangely though, while figuring all this out, I tried to reset the master boot record and/or boot sequence by typing FixMbr or FixBoot into the recovery command console off the windows vista DVD, but i just kept getting 'is not recognized as an internal or external command'
Does anyone know why this is? Why can't I fix my master boot record? I've done it once before and it worked then.

Thanks for all the help guys, and to anyone having similar issues, I hope this helps.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 8, 2009 11:02:07 PM

You may not have been on the correct drive. Make sure you are on the same drive letter that is assigned to your HD.
m
l
!