umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I plan to buy an HDTV and use it as both television and Computer monitor. The idea sounds nice to me as I can have big monitor for my PC and even resolution and image quality is hard to beat with normal computer LCD monitor.

However, as LCD HDTV only has 1 year warranty while LCD PC monitor generally has 3 year warranty, I wonder if there is a durability issue of HDTV, I mean my using HDTV as PC monitor would severely reduce the life span of it.

Thanks

You really don't want to sit THAT close to an LCD TV it's really hard on the eyes. trust me.

Power consumption is one. a 22" LCD monitor, lets say samsung, consumes 45w. a 32" Samsung tv consumes 170w. The response time on an lcd monitor is also going to be better.

If you are planning on sitting back on the couch with a keyboard and mouse the TV could work but if you are right in front of it, it's going to burn out your eye balls.

They do make LCD monitors that have tv tuner ins them, my old rommate had one, it was nice. However an HDtv as an everyday monitor usually isn''t a hot idea.

wrt45

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
My gf is an optometrist and my best friend's brother is also an optometrist. Both told me there is nothing wrong using a 37 inch LCD as a monitor. I also got two other optometrists opinions 3 years ago and they also confirmed nothing wrong. I been sitting infront of a 37 inch 1080 monitor for 3 years now. The distance is 3 feet away and the setting should be set to DVI or VGA.

My eyes are fine when I got them checked in January by another optometrist.

I use it for work since I am a programmer and therefore, do not have to scroll as much through long line of codes.

Since an LCD screen does not emit radiation like a CRT, there is no danger sitting close to the LCD screen. The worst will probably be a sore neck from moving / turning your head trying to see everything (remote).

As for why LCD HDTVs only come with 1 year warranty, it most likely has to do with cost. The longer the warranty is the more money the company will charge for the monitor because as long as the monitor is under warranty the company is responsible for all repairs (from normal usage).

wrt45

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Don't know but will know 3 months from now when I get Lasik.

I done enough research into this already and don't want to make a big deal out it because it will be an on-going debate, so I will leave this post sharing this with my experience:

One of the optometrists that made the recommendation went through the same requirements for his degree as an opthamologist. I can't remember the state that he came from but handful of states, their duties and schooling are very similar in practices. Optometrists even get to operate in those states as well too. I can't remember the difference between the two in those states.

Regardless, all I can tell you from first hand experience is that it is more gentle on my eyes then sitting infront of CRT years ago. My eyes have never dried out ever since the switch and my prescription has even gone down by -.5. Prescription going down is not because of the LCD but according to them, it is because old age sometime shapes the eye balls differently.

I did research on this before I bought my screen 3 years ago. If this is a risk hazard to the eyes, Optometrists and Opthamologists would be making a big deal out of this already. It would be all over the internet. I was hoping to find something on this 3 years ago.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkwihBClIsE0B7idXNyoA?p=lcd+health+risk+medical&y=Search&fr=yfp-t-367&ei=UTF-8
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkxwUBSlIPucAX6dXNyoA?p=sit+close+lcd+health+risk+medical&fr=yfp-t-367&ei=UTF-8

Personally I've used CRTs primarily for the past 25+ years and almost 5-10hrs a day, still have 15/20 vision. So not sure what says to theories, but I know that the only thing that bugs my eyes are DLPs and lack of sleep, and DLPs are the worst.