Sign in with
Your question

X25-M allocation unit size

Last response: in Storage
July 8, 2009 2:55:48 AM

For my Intel X25-M SSD, what should I use for the allocation unit size? I am using it for the OS, Windows 7. I know about performance vs efficient use of space, but specifically what is ideal for the X25-M? I tried very hard to find this info with Google, but couldn't. I'm guessing 4096 since no one is really talking about it. I found 4096 recommended for some OCZ drives.

I read that ideally the allocation size would match the block size. Does this make sense? What is the block size for the X25-M? It isn't in the data sheet from Intel.
July 8, 2009 6:27:45 AM

Is there a reason why you have to manually set an allocation unit size? Windows should be able to make the best decision for you, when you ask it to format any kind of drive.
July 8, 2009 10:50:29 AM

I just like being sure the best decision is made. :) 
Related resources
July 9, 2009 4:50:15 AM

Thanks mindless728. I'm surprised there isn't more info out there.
October 15, 2009 12:38:10 AM

The "default" allocation under windows is always the same (at least up through vista, don't know about 7). It doesn't even try to figure out what's best for your drive - it'd treat ssd/hard disk the same. so that's a bad idea
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
October 15, 2009 3:16:27 AM

The X-25M G1 drives had a page size of 4K bytes (smallest data size that you can read or write), and a block size of 512Kbytes (smallest amount of data that can be erased). I believe the G2 drives are the same.

See: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

The default NTFS cluster size for disks larger than 2GB is 4K bytes, which is a good fit for the X25M.
!