Running Apps from partition

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I am going to dualboot xp-64bit and 7RC 64-bit. I have a 640GB Caviar Black and a 320GB Seagate Barracuda. I am wondering how to partition these drives accordingly. Can I create a dedicated partition called "Applications" where I will install various programs on which will be able to be run from both the 7RC and XP OS? Does the same go for a "Games" hard drive? I read somewhere that you can do this, you just have to install the program in one os and then install it in the other. Does this mean that you install right over the original folder if say you installed DivX in XP onto the applications folder, then when you boot up 7RC, you install DivX into the same folder, overwriting its previous contents? I am curious to know this before I go ahead and make partitions.

I was thinking of something along the lines of...

XP - 35GB caviar black
7RC - 35GB caviar black

Games - 100GB caviar black
Applications - 50GB caviar black
Downloads - 100GB barracuda
Media - 200GB barracuda
BlackBerry Files - 100GB caviar black

I still have some space left over for the caviar, not really sure what I would partition it off for, but anyways, does this seem like an ok setup or am I missing something? Thanks!

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Microsoft recommends that each OS be installed on it's own physical drive. That being said many people have installed multiple OSes on the same physical drive and have had success. I attempted this a few times and have experienced a multitude of problems.

As far as putting your applications in one folder for both OSes I would not suggest that as it could be problematic. IMHO I would stick to what is know will work.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the reply.

I made a few partions by loading up my xp disc and creating them before installing XP. I then booted with GParted and deleted those partions (which were never formatted) and created new unformatted partions. Now when I load into windows, under my computer, it still shows the old unformatted partions. All partions are ntfs. Any idea why?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Read what you wrote above.... it is confusing.....

What do you want to do with the drive? (OS and formatting)

A partition is a specific area or amount of space. It can be formatted for a specific use or left unformatted or left as unallocated space.

How do you want to partition and format the drive?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Sorry to be confusing. I'll try to rephrase what I said. I have a 640GB HD that was completely brand new. When you go to install XP, you are given the choice to install XP on a drive, a partition, or create a new partition. Here is where I created a few partitions and went ahead and installed XP. I decided that the partitions that I created were not the right size, so I booted up with GParted and deleted those partitions except for the one that I had XP installed on. I then created some new partitions with that newly allocated space and started windows. In windows, the drives that show up in my computer are only the first partitions that I created before installing windows, not the new ones I created with GParted. I hope that explanation is a little clearer.