can mobo "kill" ram?

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
can a mobo kill/cripple the ram plugged into it?

had an Intel desktop board powered computer running a Core2Duo 6600 that was running fine yet suddenly died one day and would not come up. not a gamer system. publishing.

bought new ram. same problem.

bought new mobo w/new cpu and it would work sort of, with ram-related errors. (now, with it working, it sees the 800 ram as 533..if try to reset to 800 it crashes bad).

now I am trying to revive that intel board. it says (3 beeps) it can not see any of the ram I feed it...including sticks that work OK in the replacement board.

AND teh replacement board only sees 2 of the sticks --not the 4-which were in the original when it died--the replacement sticks ar not seen at all. But it sees the oroginals as 533 when they are 800...and only one set of 2, not both sets of slots. the replacemnt is an AB9pro Abit.

so the question to my mind is can busted mobo "castrate" ram plugged into it.

and how can I tell if the problem is MoBo or ram? Or is this not possible in practical terms?

IOW...if I buy new ram and try the intel board...and it damages the3 new ram, what have I found for my $100 or so?> not much. So I need to buy new mobo AND ram?

akhilles

Splendid
There may be beep codes, but a speaker must be plugged into an available connector on the board. The codes tell you what's going on with the board. Some exotic boards like mine have a 2-digit POST code LED on the board.