Your Thoughts On my Build.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I'm building a PC mainly for the game Age of Conan. My old PC of 4 years recently died, and I hadn't really saved up to build this, so I'm working with a budget. I'm looking for good bang for the buck. Heres what I'm thinking... I'm not going to list specific BRANDS because thats slightly too detailed for my rough draft.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
MoBo: Asus Rampage (ORDERED AND WILL NOT BE CHANGED)
Procs: Intel E8400 (ORDERED AND WILl NOT BE CHANGED)
RAM : GSkill 4gig 1066
PSU : PC&P 610W
HDD: 2x 74gig WD Raptors (Salvaged from OLD PC, WON'T BE CHANGED)
GFX: 8800 GTS 512MB
HSF: Thermalright IFX-14 (BEST AVALABLE, WON'T BE CHANGED)
OS : Vista 64 BIT (Already Have it, Going to be playing DX10)

I know the draw backs to Vista, and 64 bit, but since Age of Conan is going to be released for 64 bit, I'll be using it anyway. I'm not a massacist, but I really don't think the drawbacks are that bad.
The Parts I'm still up in the air on, are, RAM, PSU, GFX card, CASE. But I've been looking for a while, and these seem to be my best bet for the money. I'd like to see what other PC builders think of this set up. All together its about $1200 for these parts as I've priced them lately.

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
great choice of GFX, ram is fine, maybe a bit too much but who knows, You may want a few extra volts just to be safe. On the Antec Nine Hundred. That case has a huge fan on top which sucks in spitwhaps of dust. Also it has many tiny holes which really make it very exposed to dust.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

I went with 4 gigs because it was cheap, and with Vista 64bit I'll get all 4 gigs. I was leaning twards the Antec 900 because I know the HSF and that MoBo fit together, because Ive seen it in someone elses build.
Thanks for your input.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

The HSF and that case don't fit too well. You've got to remove the fan from the side window to make it fit.

I'm curious why you're going with the best available HSF but not the best available CPU, GPU and RAM? That 8800 GTS is a place holder?
If you're going for max OC'ing with that HSF what measures are you taking to keep the other hot components cooled?
The PSU is among the best so you're good to go there.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

I'm going for Bang for the BUCK. The E8400 can be OC'd to 4gigs, EASILY with that HSF, and if you haven't seen it installed on a Rampage, whoa it looks pretty. COOLING is one place I don't skimp, and I don't like liquid cooled solutions. The best of the best RAM vs The ram I picked is twice the money, for about 2 % tota proformance increase? Likewise with the GPU; I could spend $400 bucks and get top of the line, but its only about 30% better then the 8800 GTS. This is why I posted this here, I want other peoples oppinion, if this sounds like a solid idea, If you disagree give me examples that you would change on YOUR build of a SIMILAR price.

Comparofiguremultifans.jpg

Chart is from a forum review over @ http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=126195&page=3
To get the IFX-14 to "Best Mod" performance level took 4 fans (including 1 on the backside heatsink)
IFX14bestmoddiagram.jpg

The "Best Mod" option did not yield a higher overclock than Panflo x2 option where the TRUE had a slight edge.
Beside the TRUE, Zerotherm Nirvana, Noctura NH-U12F, Tuniq Tower 120 and even the Thermalright Ultima-90 will allow E8400 OC'ing to 4Ghz.
And probably many others - especially if active motherboard (NB, SB, RAM) cooling is used.

I was just curious on your thinking on getting the best available CPU cooling, but not any GPU cooling, any active motherboard cooling or any of the cases that might be better at helping out @ total system cooling.
All your parts were selected with brand and model numbers except the generic GPU which seemed stuck in there as an afterthought by comparison.

What monitor are you supporting with the 8800GTS? Thinking about OC'ing the GPU also? I know you're on a budget but its a bit harder for us to make sure you're getting the "best bank for your bucks".

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I don't have a lot of detail posted about the GFX card, to be honest its the one thing that's the most uncertain to me at the moment. I use a 19inch Samsung LCD. And the GTS would run that fine, but I'm also toying with the idea of being able to hook up a second 19', and do dual display. This would be an afterthought in the extent that I wouldn't be getting another monitor for at very least a few months. At which point I would not want to have to replace a graphics card, and is Why I'm now considering a BFG 9800 GX2, Which has lead me to question my PSU, 610W is kind of low for this kind of power needs. I really like that PSU, and have read on a few forums of people running Quads and SLI 8800gtx's . Makes me thing that the PcP&C could handle it fine. IF I don't have to upgrade the PSU, I think budgetwise It would be a viabe option.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Reguarding other cooling needs, I really didn't budget enough to upgrade any. The motherboard I picked had VERY good cooling, So I would leave it. The Case is incredible for air flow. I just need to make sure my GFX card has a good cooler. Makes sense to me.

Since you're set with the Asus Rampage and E8400 you may want to think about an 8800GT/GTS now - sell it on Ebay in 3-5 months or whenever that new monitor shows up. Then you'll know what kind of 4870X2 and 9900GTX performance options you'll have for that new monitor.

9800GX2 and PC&P 610W; enough watts and amperage. It doesnt have the 6+2pin PCI-e connector the GX2s want though. The most demanding scenario would be dual 4870GXs, then CF4870s and then a single 9800GX2. If you know the monitor you want - or at least the resolution you're looking at it's easier to recommend a X2 or just a dual CF option.

Asus Rampage has superior NB/SB heat sinks - but if you're looking at utilizing the top end of the boards abilities you're going to be needing active MB cooling - not passive. It's not very expensive to get a RAM fan and some small case fans for extra NB/SB cooling. I'd suggest that a TRUE cooler and active MB cooling is a better option than IFX-14 twin fan and no extra MB cooling. A "Best Mod" IFX-14 arrangement might tend to play havoc with your case air circulation patterns.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
WR2. You think 4gig would require more cooling to the NB/SB then the Rampage provides? I've done a little bit of research, and found that the Rampage does significantly better as is, then some more elaborate cooling systems provide on cheaper boards. Ram cooling didn't seem like a priority since the Case I was looking at had such good air flow. Ram cooling is cheap and easy The ThermalTake Cyclo is a quick easy option, but these are small details I felt I could add later.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I need thoughts on power consumption. Will PcP&C 610 W be enouch to power this,

Asus Rampage
E8400
2 WD Raptors
1 LiteON DvDRW
TunQ Tower (OK OK, I might Switch COOLING Options)
Antec 900 and its plethera of Fans?
and IN the Future 9800GX2????

The PC&P 610W had the necessary wattage and amperage. It doesnt have the 6+2pin PCI-e connector that the GX2 wants. Not sure of the work around for that.
Check out the Corsair 750TX in the same price range as the PC&P 610W.
6103ck6.jpg

I was never against your choice of the Thermalright IFX-14 for a HSF. Just wanted to be sure you were thinking about overall system cooling and I think you're doing that now. The question of what HSF is "best" is less important than the skill of the person doing the installation.
And the overall result is as much a "luck of the draw" on how good an OC'er your E8400 turns out to be. Not all can make it to 4Ghz even with water cooling.

Psymonx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
WR2, thanks for the info. I went with the 740W PcP&C. I'm with you 100% about the install. I've built 3 machines so far. My last wasn't PERFECT, but I've learned from every mistake. I've spent hundreds of hours reading reviews and peoples build info looking for potential problems. I think I've got everything I need to know, Now i just need the parts. Most peoples mistake is rushing their build out of excitement, and they compromise quality, I'll be taking my time, and making sure you I get clean build. I plan on recording my install just for sh#ts, and giggles.

TRENDING THREADS