Bandwidth

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 30, 2005 11:57:20 AM

I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!

So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)

--
Troy

More about : bandwidth

April 30, 2005 11:57:21 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:57:20 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>
>So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
>actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)

/me looks at his mere 3 Mbps cable connection and pulls up his
trousers.

You win.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 30, 2005 8:07:30 PM

Randy Graham wrote:

> I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, I think I suffered some
> shrinkage, and I really can't afford that.

:)

I'm lovin' it so far. 15 down, 2 up, and all for just US$50/month. I
love fiber.

What really shocked me was that the FilePlanet private servers were
actually able to send at 15 Mbps. I would never have thought when I
first connected to a BBS at 300 BAUD that these speeds would even be
remotely possible in 2005.

Since the first month is free, I was tempted to ask for the top package
for the first month. It's 30/5. It's also $200/month, so I would've had
to drop down to the 15/2 after the first month. Then, I thought, "Do I
really want to make 15/2 seem slow?"

--
Troy
April 30, 2005 8:07:31 PM

Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:63Oce.5434$xy.2268@trnddc08:

> I'm lovin' it so far. 15 down, 2 up, and all for just US$50/month. I
> love fiber.

Where do you have to live to get that? 2 up is enough to run a medium-sized
game server.

Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because they
want to charge people extra to host on their servers?

Any idea what a business-class account runs?
April 30, 2005 10:46:15 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Where do you have to live to get that? 2 up is enough to run a medium-sized
> game server.

I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of cities
who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it out, though,
since they also run the phone through the fiber and are planning on
offering TV.

I was thinking of running a server, but I'm not sure if I trust my
system to stay up 24/7 without blowing up. :)

> Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because they
> want to charge people extra to host on their servers?

I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
available for downstream instead of upstream.

> Any idea what a business-class account runs?

Well, at my work, we looked into fiber with Cox. For 2/2 service, it was
slightly less expensive than a T1.

--
Troy
Anonymous

"Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>
>> Where do you have to live to get that? 2 up is enough to run a
>> medium-sized game server.
>
> I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of cities
> who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it out, though,
> since they also run the phone through the fiber and are planning on
> offering TV.
>
> I was thinking of running a server, but I'm not sure if I trust my system
> to stay up 24/7 without blowing up. :)
>
>> Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because
>> they want to charge people extra to host on their servers?
>
> I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
> available for downstream instead of upstream.
>
>> Any idea what a business-class account runs?
>
> Well, at my work, we looked into fiber with Cox. For 2/2 service, it was
> slightly less expensive than a T1.

Yep, Keller, Texas, (a burb in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is also a test
bed. I'm in Texas but in a small town and darn lucky to have my 3 Mbps
cable. I am not going to hold my breath for fiber where I am for quite some
time....

Quixote
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:21:37 PM

Troy wrote:
> I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>
> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)

Dunno. I can't even max my 10Mbps connection except at speed test sites. :(

I could probably max it to my current newsserver, but it's capped at
about 250KB/s total.
--
Frank
May 1, 2005 4:33:53 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:02:00 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>>
>>> Where do you have to live to get that? 2 up is enough to run a
>>> medium-sized game server.
>>
>> I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of cities
>> who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it out, though,
>> since they also run the phone through the fiber and are planning on
>> offering TV.
>>
>> I was thinking of running a server, but I'm not sure if I trust my system
>> to stay up 24/7 without blowing up. :)
>>
>>> Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because
>>> they want to charge people extra to host on their servers?
>>
>> I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
>> available for downstream instead of upstream.
>>
>>> Any idea what a business-class account runs?
>>
>> Well, at my work, we looked into fiber with Cox. For 2/2 service, it was
>> slightly less expensive than a T1.
>>

>Yep, Keller, Texas, (a burb in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is also a test
>bed. I'm in Texas but in a small town and darn lucky to have my 3 Mbps
>cable. I am not going to hold my breath for fiber where I am for quite some
>time....

I was trying to figure out how to frame the begging and pleading with
my wife for optimal effectiveness in reference to moving back to
Texas. Keller specifically.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Troy wrote:
> I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>
> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)

HUH?!?!? You were just saying that you couldn't get
a decent speed.................

<WHOOSH!> Right over my head, I guess...........

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 1, 2005 11:35:26 AM

Quixote wrote:
> "Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>>
>>> Where do you have to live to get that? 2 up is enough to run a
>>> medium-sized game server.
>>
>> I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of
>> cities who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it
>> out, though, since they also run the phone through the fiber and are
>> planning on offering TV.
>>
>> I was thinking of running a server, but I'm not sure if I trust my
>> system to stay up 24/7 without blowing up. :)
>>
>>> Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it
>>> because they want to charge people extra to host on their servers?
>>
>> I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
>> available for downstream instead of upstream.
>>
>>> Any idea what a business-class account runs?
>>
>> Well, at my work, we looked into fiber with Cox. For 2/2 service, it
>> was slightly less expensive than a T1.
>>

> Yep, Keller, Texas, (a burb in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is also a
> test bed. I'm in Texas but in a small town and darn lucky to have my
> 3 Mbps cable. I am not going to hold my breath for fiber where I am
> for quite some time....
>
> Quixote

And I'll be long dead before it gets to my neighborhood.

We don't even have cable TV up here yet!

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 1, 2005 12:46:57 PM

On 1 May 2005 07:31:40 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Troy wrote:
>> I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>>
>> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
>> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)
>

> HUH?!?!? You were just saying that you couldn't get
>a decent speed.................
>
> <WHOOSH!> Right over my head, I guess...........

He's getting more than decent speeds. He would like to play around and
pull close to the maximum.

Not all servers out there are serving at speeds he can pull. So he's
bottlenecked.

To not be the slow point on the network... must be a nice "problem" to
have. :)

I bet at this point Troy would rather open a vein than go back to
dialup. Or even paltry T1 / DSL speeds.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:XnQce.3472$eC.310@trnddc07:

> I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of
> cities who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it
> out, though, since they also run the phone through the fiber and are
> planning on offering TV.

Damn. I'm in northern California, where we have SBC. OTOH, my office is
down the street from Pixar's previous location in Point Richmond and there
should be fiber in the street there, so it shouldn't be hard to run it down
the street. But I don't think we're a priority for that. I'm hoping for
fixed wireless, as we have a great hill above us where a tower could be put
that could reach much of the northern SF Bay Area.

>> Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because
>> they want to charge people extra to host on their servers?
> I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
> available for downstream instead of upstream.

I don't think that makes sense. The bandwidth in ADSL is asymmetric because
of electrical emission issues. The signals start interferering with each
other when you crank up both directions but you can trade one off against
the other. That wouldn't be the case with a light-based system.

More likely is that they're cheaping-out on the peering arrangements.
Serving packets onto someone else's backbone is more expensive than
accepting them.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:46:25 PM

>I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>
> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)
>
> --
> Troy

Is that megabits or megabytes?
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:46:26 PM

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this is
f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

> "Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>>
>> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
>> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)
>>
>> --
>> Troy
>
> Is that megabits or megabytes?

for starters.. lowercase b means bits. even completely ignoring that fact
and relying solely on logic, the answer would still be bits. if he had a
15MB/s connection, he would need gigabit ethernet just to fully utilize it
(read: itd be faster than most lans)

--
Adept
Anonymous

DEbig3's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
> Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this is
> f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:
>> Is that megabits or megabytes?
> for starters.. lowercase b means bits. even completely ignoring that fact
> and relying solely on logic, the answer would still be bits. if he had a
> 15MB/s connection, he would need gigabit ethernet just to fully utilize it
> (read: itd be faster than most lans)

Also, a good rule of thumb, if talking about data speeds (for RAM, network
connections, etc) its bits, if its data storage, its bytes.

a 15megabyte connection would be 120megabit, or about, the equivilent of
being 60 to 100 times faster than the average cable or DSL connection.
Your average LAN connection maxes out at 100megabit (with few having
gigabit ethernet cards, or having a network setup to fully utilize them).
May 2, 2005 2:21:52 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Quixote wrote:
>> "Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm in southern California, but there are still only a couple of
>>> cities who have this so far. Verizon is really starting to push it
>>> out, though, since they also run the phone through the fiber and are
>>> planning on offering TV.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of running a server, but I'm not sure if I trust my
>>> system to stay up 24/7 without blowing up. :)

>>> I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
>>> available for downstream instead of upstream.

>>> Well, at my work, we looked into fiber with Cox. For 2/2 service, it
>>> was slightly less expensive than a T1.
>>>

>> Yep, Keller, Texas, (a burb in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) is also a
>> test bed. I'm in Texas but in a small town and darn lucky to have my
>> 3 Mbps cable. I am not going to hold my breath for fiber where I am
>> for quite some time....
>>
>> Quixote
>

> And I'll be long dead before it gets to my neighborhood.
>
> We don't even have cable TV up here yet!
>
> --
>>^,,^< Miracle

Same here - my 1Mbs is as fast as the line allows (I've been told) and my
father in law is too far from the exchange for anything but dial up.

As we might be moving in next to him, this is not good news...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:12:26 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
>>>Why is it asymmetric? Is that a technical limitation or is it because
>>>they want to charge people extra to host on their servers?
>>
>>I'm guessing it's just so they'll have more of the total bandwidth
>>available for downstream instead of upstream.
>
> I don't think that makes sense. The bandwidth in ADSL is asymmetric because
> of electrical emission issues. The signals start interferering with each
> other when you crank up both directions but you can trade one off against
> the other. That wouldn't be the case with a light-based system.

In a cable system, you have a limited number of slots for upstream and
downstream modules. Add more upstream modules, and you can fit fewer
downstream modules. Maybe it's something similar here, although I doubt it.

> More likely is that they're cheaping-out on the peering arrangements.
> Serving packets onto someone else's backbone is more expensive than
> accepting them.

Also possible, of course. But ISPs? Cheaping out? Never!
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:49:58 PM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> What is that site that will test your speed for you? I don't see

I REMEMBERED! It's DSL Reports!

w00tar!!!!

<Emily Litella>

Nevermind.

</Emily Litella>

May 2, 2005 2:23:28 PM

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

> In the case of bits/bytes, people like to count in powers of 2. 2^10 is
> 1024, so people use 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes to a
> megabyte, 1024 megabytes to a gigabyte, etc.

And then there's those silly-looking but more technically accurate suffixes
when you want to distinguish between base-10 and base-2 -based prefixes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

(Shouldn't "mebibyte" be a unit of packet loss?)
May 3, 2005 9:03:12 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Damn. I'm in northern California, where we have SBC. OTOH, my office is
> down the street from Pixar's previous location in Point Richmond and there
> should be fiber in the street there, so it shouldn't be hard to run it down
> the street. But I don't think we're a priority for that. I'm hoping for
> fixed wireless, as we have a great hill above us where a tower could be put
> that could reach much of the northern SF Bay Area.

Given the choice between DSL and fixed wireless, I'd pick DSL any day. I
was lucky with my fixed wireless provider, and it was relatively
reliable. Most days, I'd get 1.5 - 2 megabits/sec. Still, there were
days I'd get sub-dial-up speed. When I switched to DSL, even though I
never went above 1.5 megabits/sec, it was very consistent.

> I don't think that makes sense. The bandwidth in ADSL is asymmetric because
> of electrical emission issues. The signals start interferering with each
> other when you crank up both directions but you can trade one off against
> the other. That wouldn't be the case with a light-based system.
>
> More likely is that they're cheaping-out on the peering arrangements.
> Serving packets onto someone else's backbone is more expensive than
> accepting them.

I was just making a wild guess. I figured that some strands of fiber
would be used for downstream and some for upstream and they just
allocated more strands for downstream than upstream. I think your
explanation makes more sense, though.

--
Troy
May 3, 2005 9:04:31 AM

Schrodinger wrote:

> 1Mb = roughly 100k per second download speed. Your old "33,000bps" equated
> to roughly 3k per second.

Wow. My original connection was 300 bps. So, my new connection is over
52,000 times faster.

/e shakes his head in disbelief.

--
Troy
Anonymous

> Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> 1Mb = roughly 100k per second download speed. Your old "33,000bps"
>> equated to roughly 3k per second.
>
> Wow. My original connection was 300 bps. So, my new connection is over
> 52,000 times faster.
>
> /e shakes his head in disbelief.

What about pings? Are pings noticeably lower? Seems they should be, fast
as light etc...

Quixote
May 3, 2005 9:07:53 AM

Smeghead wrote:

> He's getting more than decent speeds. He would like to play around and
> pull close to the maximum.

The only place, other than speed tests, that I've found is one of the
FilePlanet subscriber servers. I consistently max out on that server. I
never thought I'd get nearly 2 Megabytes/sec downloading a file.

> Not all servers out there are serving at speeds he can pull. So he's
> bottlenecked.

When the installer was trying to show off the connection, he went to
DSLReports. I had recently reinstalled, so I didn't have Java setup. So,
he went to the Verizon Fios speed test. It showed 7 MB/sec. The second
installer said, "Oh, don't use that one. It's slow." I told him to go
ahead and install Java, so he did, and went back to DSLReports, which
showed a hair under 15mbps on one of the tests.

> To not be the slow point on the network... must be a nice "problem" to
> have. :)

Yeah. It's nice. It's also nice thinking, "Well, better upgrade my
router to 802.11g, because 802.11b is too slow for my connection." :)

> I bet at this point Troy would rather open a vein than go back to
> dialup. Or even paltry T1 / DSL speeds.

I'd rather not think of that. It's bad enough having to go to work and
deal with our pathetic T1. <g>

--
Troy
Anonymous

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in
>
>> In the case of bits/bytes, people like to count in powers of 2. 2^10
>> is 1024, so people use 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes to a
>> megabyte, 1024 megabytes to a gigabyte, etc.
>
> And then there's those silly-looking but more technically accurate
> suffixes when you want to distinguish between base-10 and base-2
> -based prefixes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte
>
> (Shouldn't "mebibyte" be a unit of packet loss?)

I'm sorry, but I can't possibly take a Kibibyte seriously!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:::::thud!:::::

May 3, 2005 1:00:11 PM

I was looking at their T's and C's and it said that no server,
commercial or private may be run by the end user. :(

I'd be sorely tempted to anyway, lemme tell ya.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:04:08 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:4277264c$1_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I'm sorry, but I can't possibly take a Kibibyte seriously!
>
> Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:::::thud!:::::

Yeah, that sounds like what the dog does to the stuff in his bowl!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:12:29 PM

Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:kCDde.8764$nN.1046@trnddc05:

> Given the choice between DSL and fixed wireless, I'd pick DSL any day. I
> was lucky with my fixed wireless provider, and it was relatively
> reliable. Most days, I'd get 1.5 - 2 megabits/sec. Still, there were
> days I'd get sub-dial-up speed. When I switched to DSL, even though I
> never went above 1.5 megabits/sec, it was very consistent.

I mention it because when shopping for broadband for the new office last
year, I heard about a guy in the San Jose area that was providing fixed
wireless to some unwired valley. They were getting something like 8 Mbps
symmetric, which is to die for. The guy got enough subscribers to "pledge"
and then he put up the tower above the valley. He had an offer to do the
same for other areas with enough pledges from that area to make it
worthwhile. I think it was around 200 houses. There's a perfect ridge
behind my office to put the tower.

On a related note, there was a story on Slashdot Sunday about people
blocking the erection of cellphone towers:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/02/01...

The NIMBY and BANANA principles rule.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:41:44 PM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> What about pings? Are pings noticeably lower? Seems they should be,
> fast as light etc...

Probably only marginally so. Recall that ping would be total travel time,
and you're just speeding up "the last mile". OTOH, you're latency would be
better, as would your immunity from packet loss when the local network got
busy.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:11:39 AM

"Troy" <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I don't mean to brag, or maybe I do, but I finally got Fios. W00tarz!
>
> So, does anybody know of any places other than Fileplanet where I can
> actually download files at 15 Mbps? :)
>
> --
> Troy

*drools*

I've got 6/1 or something like that...

damn you...

but my 6/6 at work (and i'm a network admin) is REALLY nice :)
May 4, 2005 9:24:24 AM

Quixote wrote:

> What about pings? Are pings noticeably lower? Seems they should be, fast
> as light etc...

Good question. I haven't really checked that yet.

--
Troy
May 4, 2005 9:27:54 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> I mention it because when shopping for broadband for the new office last
> year, I heard about a guy in the San Jose area that was providing fixed
> wireless to some unwired valley. They were getting something like 8 Mbps
> symmetric, which is to die for. The guy got enough subscribers to "pledge"
> and then he put up the tower above the valley. He had an offer to do the
> same for other areas with enough pledges from that area to make it
> worthwhile. I think it was around 200 houses. There's a perfect ridge
> behind my office to put the tower.

Keep in mind that fixed wireless is usually just overpowered 802.11b.
While you may be able to get 8 Mbps symmetric, you're also sharing an 11
Mbps connection with everybody else, which means you may not always see
that 8 Mbps. Even if it's 802.11g-based, 10 people using it at once
would drop your speed. Still, if nothing else is available, if you have
a decent provider who uses decent equipment, it's many times better than
dial-up or even satellite.

--
Troy
Anonymous

Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:u3Zde.1934$Ri.1169@trnddc08:

> Keep in mind that fixed wireless is usually just overpowered 802.11b.

I think these are the guys I'm thinking of:

http://www.etheric.net/

They claim up to 144 Mbps.
!