help please

jony

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i just buil a new computer,xfx mobo,256 video nvidia geforce ,duo core 2 duo 2.4,1gig ocz ram, 100gb hardrive. but my mobo only read one core i downloaded of cpuid.com a program that say 2nd core is disabled can some one tell me how to enable it

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Do a reformat, and reinstall. Back up your data. Why do you have 1GB, RAM is very cheap now. 2GB kits can be had for 30 bucks from Crucial. Mind you, these are Crucial Ballistix Tracers. 2x2GB kits can run you 75 bucks.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Really, then these screen shots must be a figment of my imagination.

21o11e.jpg

2egcvnl.jpg

jony

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
thanks for the help i'll reinstall i only bought a gig cuase i didnt have more money but can u guys link me some sheap 2gig kits

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
MS says you can't, but that's not entirely true. It can be done, but it is a little convoluted.

How to move a Windows installation to different hardware
Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
The source and destination computers must use the same type of HAL. There is one exception to this rule. If one of the computers contains the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) multiprocessor HAL, the other computer can have the ACPI uniprocessor HAL. The same rule applies to MPS multiprocessor and MPS uniprocessor HALs.

For example, if the source is using the MPS multiprocessor HAL, you can restore data to a destination computer that uses the MPS uniprocessor HAL. However, you cannot restore data to a destination computer that uses the ACPI multiprocessor HAL.
Here is how to do it. I haven't done it so use at your own risk. Back up your files!

How to update the HAL without reinstalling windows
You require the Devcon utility for this, unpack it to a folder, then navigate to the folder its in using Command prompt (command prompt on context menu PowerToy is handy for this)

How to Update from a Single Core APIC compatible cpu to a Multicore APIC compatible cpu

under the computer entry in the device manager, you will see it says ACPI Uniprocessor PC, to update to the multiprocessor HAL input this:

devcon sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000 := +acpiapic_mp !acpiapic_up
devcon update c:\windows\inf\hal.inf acpiapic_mp.

Then reboot twice again to update the device and IRQ tables.
Maybe you should try a repair install that was mentioned earlier.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install