Windows XP does now see all memory

gotthard

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hello,
I have windows xp 32 bit and ATI RADEON HD 3870 x2 but there is a problem, windows XP does not see all memory just 512 MB and also when I start any game it crashes after few minutes. Is there any chance to get all memory in windows XP??

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
gothard, your 3870X2 is a video card with two GPU's. Each GPU has a dedicated 512mb of memory. By crossfiring the GPU's your connecting only the GPU's it in no way doubles the memory to 1gb.

Now also the 3870X2 is one power hungry video card, what is the output of your power supply? When you start running a game thats when the card really puts a load on the power supply. I would expect you will find your PSU is weak.

evongugg try reading the original post; how are you to reseat the mmeory on a video card?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

That would be fine if he were clear that its video memory hes looking at, but he doesnt say that, he just says memory.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

where does he state re seat memory on Video card?
he just says to re seat the memory...

the key thing is does the memory recognised in the bios the same as the one in windows?

you may have a loose memory stick... which is never good.
when you put the ram back in... make sure you don't put it in backwards...
my wife did that .. with considerable amount of force..
and toasted the motherboard... odd that the ram was still fine...

my 2¢

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow this is yet again an example of a poster not giving any sort of useful information.

I assume now he is talking about memory not showing up ont he video cards control panel where it says "video memory" with all the debate about windows xp seeing over 4gb in windows xp I think that has us all confused what he's asking.

Poster you need to put relevent information.

What type of video card, motherboard, os, and mainboard memory do you have?

Where are you looking exactly where your not seeing the memory, and what exactly do you expect to see there that you don't?

As far as crashing goes, please put more of a description of the problem up, I am going to assume the amount of memory not showing up, has nothing to do with crashing.

Make sure you get the latest and greatest drivers for your mb and your video card for the appropriate companies website, that may help fix any issues. Also, another thing to look at would be swaping out the card with a known good to eliminate that. Go to BB or CC or wherever get a basic card to test with, if that does not crash your system, most likely it is your current video card and it should be rma'd.

Just my two cents.
Thanks

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Its a common problem that has been posted in here many time about people wondering why there 3870X2 isn't showing its 1gb of memory.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe because it's not a problem...Crossfiring or SLI'ing 2 videocards together does not combine the memory buffers of both GPU's, and the same goes for the 3870X2, because it's just 2 GPU's Crossfired on a single PCB.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
It's not a problem with the card, its people thinking that since the card is sold as one with 1gb of memory they think it should show it all.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Damn, when I saw the title "Windows XP does now see all memory", I thought it meant service pack 3 would let you see a full 4 gigs of memory. Impossible I know, but one can dream.

Spot on 100% on the money and i think the op is confusing RAM and Vram.
Mactronix

virux

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
i think it would be stupid to assume the poster has a 3870x2 and only 512mb of system ram...

I with Stoner133 on this one. though im voting driver issue.

If that reply was directed at me i would like to clear up the statement i made.
The whole XP now see's all memory article refers to Ram not the Vram.
Im saying it sounds like the OP thinks it includes the VRAM.
The X2 will only show 512.
Mactronix