cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Which motherboard should i go for, the MSI P7N SLI Platinum, or the Asustek P5N-D. Which one would be better and why?? I basiclly need two 9600gt graphics cards only..

this is a joke right? ASUS

MSI = garbage

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Some people have good luck with MSI, but I refuse to install them for a customer because I've gotten burned by every MSI product I've used in the past.
I'm sure the failures were just an unfortunate coinkydink.
But I do know I've only had one Asus board fail me (so far).

Have you considered a board with an Intel chipset, and going for 2x 4850 in Crossfire (unless you just need 2 cards for 4 monitors, of course)?
More graphics power than the 9600's for the same, or less, price.

I'd vote for Asus, but read all reviews on whatever motherboard fits your needs & budget, from as many sources as possible, because there are some boards, from every manufacturer, that need to be avoided.

Exactly why

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Well, I own both MSI P35 and and Asus. I like MSI better had less trouble with the system but ultimitly they are both exceptualy good. The Asus board was my fault in that I forgot to install an updated raid driver. It is rather hard to exactly tell which one is the better one because thier is way to many factors and bios opinions based on prevous experience.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have had numerous MSI boards recently and have never had a problem. I have even been dealing with an e-sata issue, and their tech support has been great about responding.

I know everyone likes ASUS, but I have never had an issue with MSI. Just thought I would let you know.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

No kidding
Of course Asus
And stay away from nForce chipset mobos
Lot of problems
Cann't you read all reported problems and desperate screems ???

Every product from MSI i have ever owned or worked with has had stupid issues that should never happen - 440BX mainboard with a dead IDE channel (~9 years later and still have not seen a similar issue yet with other BX and similar based boards however old), MSI cd burner that has to restart once a burn has completed (well documented), Ti4200 that overheated with the monster cooler (yet a tiny stock cooler works 10x better), various other mainboard issues with bios and implementation issues, laptops where the cpu heatpipe cooler wont transfer heat more then 2cm away and overheats and the rest - i will never ever buy msi again, use it in anything important or basic, accept a free msi product etc - NEVER. Rubbish.

Second the Nvidia chipset issues to some degree, there drivers are a nightmare overall when all there SB related stuff (network controllers, sata/ide drivers etc) share the same 'common' hardware id yet not the same driver, causes all sorts of issues, data corruption, BSoD's etc and there high end stuff runs so hot.