New build - scary non-OCed temps

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I just had a system built today, and I'm concerned that my CPU and GPU temperatures are too high. I have an E8400 processor with the stock fan and an MSI 8800GTS OC video card.

The CPU fan actually stopped running a half hour ago or so, but I think it was because the power cord from the fan was too close to the actual fan blades, so it shut itself down, which led to my computer shutting itself down. I think that is under control now but it's disturbing that it would just cut out if the cord moves a few centimeters. Now it is running at 46C according to my case temperature gauge, but I think it's a good deal higher if I actually look at it in the BIOS. What is a reasonable temperature when under a reasonable load, and how can I monitor this more accurately without rebooting my computer to look in my BIOS?

My video card was up to 68C as I alt-tabbed out of WoW and checked the NVIDIA monitor. I tried turning from automatic fan control to direct fan control, and moved it from 34% to 44%, but to be honest I'm not sure what that even means. When I select direct fan control, it un-grays an option that just says "GPU (3D) and then has a slide bar, followed by the percentage, a slash, and then the temp. I'm confused, and sort of worried about the early going here.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
As far as your HSF turning off, I'd check the connector to make sure its pushed in all the way. Sometimes you really have to push hard on those things. Is 46C your idle or load temp? Either way that's just fine. For a CPU, I don't like mine being much over 60C at load, but they're spec'd up to 70 or 75. I don't know exactly what an E8400 is spec'd at though, but I'm sure your safe until the upper 60's - lower 70's.

As far as your GPU goes, 68C is actually pretty good. They're designed to be much warmer. Download RivaTuner and pump your fan up to 50% or so. You shouldn't be able to hear it (thats where mine is at) and it will drop your temps ~20C.

To monitor your CPU temp, download either SpeedFan or CoreTemp (or both :D).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions :)

akhilles

Splendid
If your room temp is around the same as your cpu temp, you can't lower the cpu temp below room temp with conventional air cooling. Unconventional one is air + TEC which uses more power to cool. Watercooling will lower the temp more than just air. So what's your room temp?

For Wolfdales, I find "Core Temp" to be more accurate than Speedfan which is good for 65nm. There's a "RealTemp" which I find to be the most accurate, but their latest update seems to screw it up.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Are you sure you mounted the heatsink correctly? The 8400 should idle in the low 30s in an average temp room. Try reseating the heatsink,

Real Temp seems to do best on the Wolfies and Yorksies, but the new Speedfan does seem to match the Realtemp now.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I will investigate that video card fan utility. I'm running RealTemp now and getting temps around 46C or so, 49 from TJMax, while running a couple two-bit desktop utilities + WoW.

My GPU is running around 71C under WoW load, which may not be a huge load for this card. I don't know.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Try downloading 3dMark and in the settings, you can loop tests. Make it loop a couple of times, and then check your temps. WoW isn't that graphic intensive. What is your CPU's temp at completely idle? and what is the ambient temp in your room?