Your question

Program file icons blink

Tags:
  • Icons
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 26, 2010 11:44:38 PM

Hello,
I am running XP PRO, and recently "cleaned a malware infection from my PC. All is well except for the program icons on the desktop and in the program file folder are blinking. When I hit the start button, the start menue also blinks and won't let me select a program. I have cleanned with Mawarebytes, Super AntiSpyware, Compofix, Webroot analyzer, Panda, AVG. I tried Kelly fix 157. I don't have a restore partician or disk.

More about : program file icons blink

August 28, 2010 7:05:43 PM

One of your main problems is that you loaded malware bytes, super anti spyware, compofix, webroot analyzer, panda, and AVG, kelly fix into your computer all at the same time. Bad idea.
You should use ONE all in one security solution. Multiple security programs will cause conflicts, and loss of data, among other headaches.
You can try a system restore. But in the future, don't load all that stuff into your system, you see what happens. It's not good.
Panda internet security, or Norton 360 are the most reliable. Free security downloads are not recommended by myself, they just don't cover all the bases.

Back up all your personal files if possible, before doing anything else.

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

OR delete ALL the security programs that you have installed. Do a system repair. The directions are in this forum, fourth post from the top.

After you repair the system, refrain from the multiple security programs. Use ONE good, professional security system.
m
l
Related resources
!