Can anyone help an OCing newbie?

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I'm sure the more experienced overclockers here are quite used to newbies asking for help when their attempts go awry, so I apologize for adding another one to the pile.

My old P4 GeForce 7800 machine is definitely showing its age anymore. I've been meaning to replace it for a long time, and after being totally hosed by a mainstream manufacturer's machine (who will go unnamed), I decided that the best thing to do would be to build a new one. I settled on Don Woligroski's $1,250 Enthusiast PC from the November System Builder Marathon. Since the new i7 cores are so new and the future of GPUs is a little murky, I figured a (relatively!) inexpensive machine with proven components would serve me well for a good while.

I followed the build as exactly as possible with two exceptions: first, the DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R motherboard used by the build is now a deactivated item on NewEgg. I replaced it with the X38-T2RB, which seemingly only differs in its cooling setup, so I didn't think it'd be a problem. Second, the Antec Neo Power 650W power supply is also a deactivated item on NewEgg. I replaced it with the Antec NeoPower 650 Blue. 650W Antec PSU vs. 650W Antec PSU. No problem, right?

The build came together fine, the system ran without a hitch the first time and I got my OS installed and so forth. I then decided to get to work trying to match the overclock settings the SBM outlined (with the help of a more experienced friend--I'm not so masochistic as to try to go it alone). The Catalyst Control Center auto-tuned the Radeon HD 4870 X2 to higher clock speeds than the 777/950 the SBM uses, but I haven't had the chance to test it in-game to check for artifacts. Minor fan adjustments brought idle temperature to about 37 degrees.

When we decided to tackle adjusting the CPU and RAM, we hit a bit of a snag. The friend I'd brought in for help has overclocked a number of machines, but even he couldn't decipher all the DFI board's settings. Changing the CPU multiplier was straightforward--we even had to enable the CPU N/2 Ratio setting just as the SBM had warned--and bringing the RAM up to DDR2 896 was just as simple, but for the life of us we couldn't figure out how on earth to adjust the core voltage for the CPU, nor the timings for the RAM.

Regardless, we decided to leave the adjustments as we'd made them and stress test. CPU-Z informed us that the E8500 was indeed using our 9.5x multiplier, and SuperPi and Prime95 worked without a hitch. However, upon restarting, the machine failed to POST. No display, no beep, no nothing. The diagnostic LCD on the motherboard displayed the ever-so-helpful code "C1." DFI's manual lists no error codes, and Google searches for same provide unclear results or completely different interpretations of the same codes. We cut off power and tried starting up again. No POST, code C1. We removed the battery to reset the CMOS, and everything booted fine--of course, we had lost all our changes we'd made to the CPU and RAM setting. A BIOS flash has not resolved the problem. The machine will keep our changes for one Windows session, and any subsequent restarts result in failure to POST. Only resetting the CMOS will allow me to work normally, but I'm not getting any of my fancy overclocking results from anything but the GPU!

I know this may be a more generalized issue than a pure overclocking matter, but any troubleshooting I can get from more experienced users would be extremely helpful!

UPDATE: This just keeps getting more and more bizarre...

Reset the CMOS again, 'cause I figured I'd just run the rig with no overclocking while I got help. At first it didn't boot from the HDD. Restarted again, no POST, code C1. Reset CMOS AGAIN, and then went into the BIOS and reset it to "optimized defaults." Oddly enough, this bumped my CPU multiplier up from 6 to 9.5, and pulled my CPU clock down to 333 MHz! Started Windows, and then Catalyst Control Center crashed nonstop. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, restarted... and everything booted fine. Did some Windows Updates. Restarted. Rebooted fine. I decided to push my luck and increase RAM speed back to the SBM's prescribed settings. I used to be able to get it up to DDR2-896, but now I can't. DDR2-887 is as close as I can get, since the CPU clock came down to 333. Regardless, the machine seems to be running okay, though I still haven't tested any high-stress graphics-intensive programs. I would really like someone to tell me what's going on, especially someone who's familiar with DFI boards who could walk me through the BIOS. I'm going to try bringing the CPU clock up to 448 MHz to match my target 4.25 GHz clock and my target DRAM speed. I'll see if I lose stability.

UPDATE UPDATE: Yeah, I lost stability.

Seems like system power crapped out part-way through the reboot. It tried again, then lost power again. Tried a third time, and started running, but now I'm back to not POSTing with a C1 code.

Please help!

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I hate to be the one to bump this thread, but I've called a number of the local pros (the money-cost variety, in fact) and they all kinda gave me the impression this was out of their league. I really need help! I know I can't be the only one with a LanParty motherboard, so I'm sure there's someone who's deciphered these BIOS settings and can tell me where I'm going wrong. Moreover, these parts aren't exactly pricey (with the exception of the GPU, which is running fine), so if it sounds like bad RAM or (ugh) a bad CPU, please tell me! Anything I have to go on would be extremely helpful.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
okay the vcore is called cpu vid control set it to 1.4 for now, also keep the ram at 2.1v the nb at 1.4v and the sb at auto, now i know that the dfi bios gives you plenty of options, the problem here is you now need to set the fsb strap to 400 or 333 if it doesnt support it and then also run your ram in a 2:1 ratio to the fsb eg for 400fsb then you want 800mhz for your mem, also keep the timings on auto for now. then set fsb to 421 this will give you 4ghz, but before you save and quit save your settings in the bios saveing section. also your parts all seem fine but you could have a dud mobo? as its the only part which is stopping you from overclocking etc and rebooting. also if your mobo has a battery onboard it might be dead which will explain the settings not being saved. oh and btw im the money-cost variety :D

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I don't have CPU VID control. All I have are CPU VID Special Add, DRAM Voltage Control, SB Core/CPU PLL Voltage, NB Core Voltage, and CPU VTT Voltage. I'm afraid to touch these other settings without having my voltages handled. Moreover, I really am trying to follow the SBM to the letter, and theoretically I should be able to get a higher CPU Clock than 400 MHz and a higher target DRAM speed than DDR2 800.

Since you mentioned it, how would I go about testing to see if my motherboard is bad? Are there other potentially faulty parts that could cause this?

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Guys, I'm sorry to dredge this up again, but I have no idea where to go. I'm having a hell of a time finding experts locally, since I have to go through intermediaries for everything. Numerous Google searches and extensive (but timid) experimentation on my own result in nothing. Please, I don't know how else to get an answer to this problem. If ANYONE knows anything about this, please don't hesitate to chime in!

Thanks.

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

No offense? If anything, I'm more than unseasoned. Don't worry about it.

Where on EARTH was this guide when I started this? This has everything--even POST code errors! This will be unbelievably helpful when going forward.

However, one problem still remains. richardscott and Clunk both identify CPU VID Control as the main CPU voltage. This setting is not present in my BIOS.

What could possibly do that? I switched the Setup Mode to Advanced to make sure it'd show me all the options, but it doesn't produce this setting. Would a bad BIOS flash somehow remove this setting?

ChampionHyena

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Got an answer from Clunk's forums. Apparently, on DK versions of these DFI boards, there is no CPU VID Control. Voltage stays at a default of 1.2V, and the only way to alter it is via the Special VID Add setting.

So, I added 100mV to get from 1.2V to my target of 1.3V, then reset my CPU clock to 448 MHz to get back up to 4.25 GHz. This brought my RAM clock up too high, so I brought it down to DDR2-896 as per my instructions. I changed the RAM voltage to 1.9V, and then saved and exited the BIOS. Something disturbing happened. Instead of restarting normally, the machine powered all the way off for some time, then started up again. It appeared to POST, but got hung up on something, then it restarted--again, powering all the way down first. When it started back up, it appeared to POST fine, but never went into my OS. I ended up resetting the CMOS and going back to optimized settings. AGAIN.

This is a baseless assumption, but I have not changed my RAM timings, and I'm wondering if that could be problematic. The recommended settings from the article are CL 5-5-5-14, but again, DFI's BIOS is so incredibly thick and obtuse that I have no idea what numbers correspond to what settings... and oddly, Clunk's guide doesn't quite help. At least not in a way that I can parse.

I'm getting my CPU voltage (theoretically) up where it needs to be, but I'm still having problems. Does anyone have any ideas?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
You cannot jump from 3.16 to 4.25. There is no guarantee your chip can do that speed. You need to increase the FSB in small steps 5-10MHz, test for stability, then repeat.

TRENDING THREADS